HW60J vs CZ452

I have a CZ and an Anschutz.

They both shoot pretty much the same as far as accuracy is concerned.

The Anschutz is better build quality. The barrel was evenly free floating "out of the box" and I have not altered the trigger.

Take the metalwork out of the stock and you can see how the Anchutz is a better more finely machined fit, almost "bedded".

The CZ benefits enormously from a simple trigger kit which seems an intimidating thing to fit if you are a novice (me at the time!) but after plucking up the courage to do it, it really is quick and simple to do with very clear instructions, anyone can do it and after fitting, you have a really nice trigger.

It is quite a good idea to take a new gun out of its stock just as a way of familiarising yourself with how it is put together and make sure that everything is appropriately clean and lubricated and screws tight (not too tight).

The CZ needed a bit of work with a piece of dowel and some sand paper as the barrel was touching the stock at one point but, again, quick and simple to do.

There is a slight element of ego in so far as owning an Anschutz carries a bit more qudos than owning a CZ, sad but true.

In practical terms you will be very happy with either.

It is surprising how seemingly identical guns can behave slightly differently with different ammo.

Buy whatever you can get if the price is right, my Anschutz was quite a bargain.

its amazing the amount of complete BOLLOCKS that people write about CZs...if you are one of those people who have more money than sence then go and buy your Anshutz,sako,HW,and if its because of a name then get a life...Anshutz made target rifles because there was a niche in the market no one else made .22lr target rifles...their hunting rifles are a different kettle of fish THEY ARE NO MORE ACCURATE THAN A CZ OR ANY OTHER RIM FIRE ON THE MARKET FACT CZ were making guns long before 1856 when Anschutz started making guns and they are still going that should tell you some thing about CZ...and where ever some of you get the idea that fit and finish of CZs is questionable i know not where...the recievers are one piece and the Barrels are cold hammer forged the same as nearly all the major precision rifle builders...if you think a CZ standard trigger is crap once again you are missinformed with some time (hour) your standard CZ trigger can be made as good as any on the market without any cost at all and the standard trigger can be made to break at 1 1/2 lbs easily.

SO TO SUM UP IF YOU WANT TO BE RIPPED OF WITH THE COST OF A RIFLE BUY ANY THING OTHER THAN A CZ...AND IF YOU THINK THAT A GLOSSY NAME WILL MAKE YOU AND YOUR RIFLE ANY BETTER THAN ANY OTHER YOU DESERVE TO BE RIPPED OF.

paul

its amazing the amount of complete BOLLOCKS that people write about CZs...if you are one of those people who have more money than sence then go and buy your Anshutz,sako,HW,and if its because of a name then get a life...Anshutz made target rifles because there was a niche in the market no one else made .22lr target rifles...their hunting rifles are a different kettle of fish THEY ARE NO MORE ACCURATE THAN A CZ OR ANY OTHER RIM FIRE ON THE MARKET FACT CZ were making guns long before 1856 when Anschutz started making guns and they are still going that should tell you some thing about CZ...and where ever some of you get the idea that fit and finish of CZs is questionable i know not where...the recievers are one piece and the Barrels are cold hammer forged the same as nearly all the major precision rifle builders...if you think a CZ standard trigger is crap once again you are missinformed with some time (hour) your standard CZ trigger can be made as good as any on the market without any cost at all and the standard trigger can be made to break at 1 1/2 lbs easily.

SO TO SUM UP IF YOU WANT TO BE RIPPED OF WITH THE COST OF A RIFLE BUY ANY THING OTHER THAN A CZ...AND IF YOU THINK THAT A GLOSSY NAME WILL MAKE YOU AND YOUR RIFLE ANY BETTER THAN ANY OTHER YOU DESERVE TO BE RIPPED OF.

paul

You sound a bit emotive, angry even... well a bit disgruntled anyway... (smile).

Having read your post I went back and read all the others in this thread and almost without exception they were all saying how good the CZ is and that it is an excellent choice.

With all posts they have to be taken with a bit of a pinch of salt as we don't know how credible the writer is.

I get the impression that some posters are fantasists and probably don't actually own or use any of the guns they are so "expert" in and their views are some times difficult to weed out.

In my own case I do own and use every week a pair of CZ's and the Anschutz, they are all good guns, they were all similarly priced as well (not enough difference to make it a deciding factor) but the overall build quality of the Anschutz is better. The standard trigger on the CZ does benefit from a "tweak", as nearly every experienced user will tell you. Cost of the trigger kit is about £10.

• 3 weeks later...

paul

You sound a bit emotive, angry even... well a bit disgruntled anyway... (smile).

Having read your post I went back and read all the others in this thread and almost without exception they were all saying how good the CZ is and that it is an excellent choice.

With all posts they have to be taken with a bit of a pinch of salt as we don't know how credible the writer is.

I get the impression that some posters are fantasists and probably don't actually own or use any of the guns they are so "expert" in and their views are some times difficult to weed out.

In my own case I do own and use every week a pair of CZ's and the Anschutz, they are all good guns, they were all similarly priced as well (not enough difference to make it a deciding factor) but the overall build quality of the Anschutz is better. The standard trigger on the CZ does benefit from a "tweak", as nearly every experienced user will tell you. Cost of the trigger kit is about £10.

There seems to be a lot of emotion on this topic, which I think is good in that it is human to be passionate about important things, but also a bit weird in that anger or (hilarious, this) calling someone a fantasist is just going over the top. I'm not going to post a Rambo-style picture of myself with my HW60J just to reassure someone that I have actually got one.

My point is a simple one: if you like having an object of quality, with the subjective characteristics this implies, go for the Weihrauch. I love the finish, the balance, the quality of the wood, the trigger, the somewhat indefinable feeling of quality and craftsmanship.

If you just want a bunny-killing tool, on the basis that a hammer is a hammer and will pound in the nail regardless of all the above, then a CZ is probably the perfect rimfire for you.

We're not talking about the difference between a Holland & Holland and a Baikal here, the price difference is around £300 between the two rimfires. While I don't own a money tree, and work like a slave for what diposable income I have, I am happy to pay the extra to get a rifle I want. I won't think any the less of someone who doesn't.

I think it would be good if we confined ourselves to giving the reason for our choice, rather than freaking out and attacking others who choose differently.

I would like to purchase a .22LR bolt action rifle and I am having my doubts between the Weihrauch hw60J (also known as the Krico 301) (or Beeman in the USA) and CZ 452. The Weihrach is more expensive and has a better trigger. But is not as common so that might be a problem when it I need spare parts. Do you have any experience

with any of these rifles? Which one would you choose?

Thank you for your input.

The CZ is hard to beat, I've owned loads of different .22's down the years, and several CZ452's. Currently I have a SAKO Finnfire Varmint with a very expensive Leupold VX3 scope on it, and nice as it is, it really is NOT

better than an out of the box CZ, one major factor is that as you don't reload rimfires, therefore 'we' all use the same ammo, and thats most of the 'quality' issues put to bed in one go.

Don't get me wrong my SAKO is s**t hot, its shoots cloverleaf groups of Winchester Sub's at 100 yards, and maybe the equivalent CZ might 'only' manage a 1" pattern on the same target, but the Rabbits don't get away from either.

The other guys are right on the money re the Rimfire Magic trigger spring/sleeve makes a 'tractor' trigger into a good un. So there you are, get the HW60 if you must, but a 16" BRNO Varmint will not be beaten, my advice (for what it's worth?) get a CZ but then spend the £250 you saved on a better Scope!

AndyF