HW60J vs CZ452

I would like to purchase a .22LR bolt action rifle and I am having my doubts between the Weihrauch hw60J (also known as the Krico 301) (or Beeman in the USA) and CZ 452. The Weihrach is more expensive and has a better trigger. But is not as common so that might be a problem when it I need spare parts. Do you have any experience

with any of these rifles? Which one would you choose?

Thank you for your input.

Edited by Blackthunder

Welcome to the THL.

Weihrauch are imported in to the UK by Hull Cartridge, so no problem with spares.

Lots of people using CZ as they are simple, cheap and efficient.

Yes the HW are more expensive, but then you are getting a quality product.(not saying CZ arent)

If I had the same choice, and both guns were in very good useable condition (assuming your going for 2nd hand) I would go for the HW, however th CZ do represent extremely good value for money :hmm:

I can honestly say there are a lot of CZ owners on here, and not that many HW owners.

I asked a friend who has over 40 years experience as a gunsmith the following question.

'Which make of .17HMR to get'

His reply was BRUNO or in other words CZ American / Varmint

The only thing that needs doing, in my opinion, is to fit a trigger kit. (Rimfire magic for £10 + about a 15 min job)

When done it transforms the gun.

Edited by masmiffy

I've shot with both but settled on the HW. Price was the main factor along with how it fitted me when out in the field. I clean it after every session and it's never let me down yet (touch wood!)

I looked at both of these but settled on the CZ when finances didn't get to the point where the HW was viable BUT the HW is heavier and the action new feels like a CZ's after a thousand rounds have cycled through it - smooooth!

• 2 weeks later...

I've used CZs (battered, second hand) at my club and recently bought the Weihrauch new from Countryways of West Malling, who gave me the best price of around 10 RFDs I got a quote from.

It's an absolutely gorgeous piece of kit and the difference in quality over the CZ is immediately obvious. I know that the CZs were old club guns, but for me there is no question: go for the Weihrauch.

The only one immediately available was the short carbine version, which with a moderator was still a little shorter than what I was used to. I was a little worried that this would affect the accuracy, but not a bit of it, I'm managing tight groups from 25 to 100m.

The trigger is beautiful, every component has the feel of heavy quality and the stock was of much better wood than I was expecting.

The only issue I read about before buying it was that some reviewers criticised the quality of the mag, but I think this was overdone. I bought a spare with the rifle, and while one of them was a bit stiff to start with, it now glides in and out like, well...

Spend the extra on the Weihrauch and have a rifle you'll keep forever. I'm certainly not going to sell mine.

I've used CZs (battered, second hand) at my club and recently bought the Weihrauch new from Countryways of West Malling, who gave me the best price of around 10 RFDs I got a quote from.

It's an absolutely gorgeous piece of kit and the difference in quality over the CZ is immediately obvious. I know that the CZs were old club guns, but for me there is no question: go for the Weihrauch.

The only one immediately available was the short carbine version, which with a moderator was still a little shorter than what I was used to. I was a little worried that this would affect the accuracy, but not a bit of it, I'm managing tight groups from 25 to 100m.

The trigger is beautiful, every component has the feel of heavy quality and the stock was of much better wood than I was expecting.

The only issue I read about before buying it was that some reviewers criticised the quality of the mag, but I think this was overdone. I bought a spare with the rifle, and while one of them was a bit stiff to start with, it now glides in and out like, well...

Spend the extra on the Weihrauch and have a rifle you'll keep forever. I'm certainly not going to sell mine.

What does difference in quality equate to in the field?

Many people keep their CZ a lifetime!

:thumbs:

For vermin controll there will be no difference. One will be nicer to look at, but both will kill rabbits. Ive shot bunnies with a brand new hw 66 and old battered mk1 and mk2 brno's. Both times the rabbits died. simples. The trigger on the hw is excellent but after tweaking the cz triggers can be made to shoot really well.

I would like to purchase a .22LR bolt action rifle and I am having my doubts between the Weihrauch hw60J (also known as the Krico 301) (or Beeman in the USA) and CZ 452. The Weihrach is more expensive and has a better trigger. But is not as common so that might be a problem when it I need spare parts. Do you have any experience

Hi, Go for the HW60J by far the better of the two !!

I have the hw60j for sometime now and over 6500 rounds and NO problems to date.

is the best rim i have used,

and i used alot for rimfire's.

No problems getting parts BUT YOU WILL NOT NEED ANY !!

Good luck in what you go for ...

my grand father has a CZ ZKM 452 Silhouette .22LR and I think it is great,

good points :

light

very easy to handle

10 shot MAG

quiet and stylish

bad points: (not many)

not high enough calibre for fox's but plenty for bunny's

no point in shooting 100 yards plus

Hi, Go for the HW60J by far the better of the two !!

I have the hw60j for sometime now and over 6500 rounds and NO problems to date.

is the best rim i have used,

and i used alot for rimfire's.

No problems getting parts BUT YOU WILL NOT NEED ANY !!

Good luck in what you go for ...

I'm curious about that statement, as with others saying this is better or that is better.

On just what basis is any gun better than another, your Anschutz, HW, Sako will NOT be any more accurate in the field than a CZ, and I don't see it lasting any longer, there are loads of old BRNO about and they work a treat, so just what makes something a better gun?