Which one did I go for?

OK, 1st of all sorry about the photo quality on the woody but it was a rush 1st thing this morning.

Now, everyday as soon as I get up, I check the farmyard and immediate area for quarry, today there were two possible targets. Usually I'd have crept to the door and taken at least the one possibly two if the wind was in my favour, but today I thought I'd push my luck and take shots with the camera and the rifle.

Target #1 is the woody on the ground @ about 12m. A very easy shot and food for us.

Target #2 is the black scavenger in the trees @ about 25m. Not so easy a shot due to the wind and the target was "moving".

The rifle used was a .22 Gunpower Stealth, scope was a DMP 2.5-10X50 Tactical Target, pellets were Air Arms Diablo Field 5.5mm 1.037 Grams

So friends, did I shoot one or two and why would I? Also take into consideration the time of year as it applies to both targets.

Maybe I let them both live :thumbs:

post-4503-0-94402500-1299748873_thumb.jpg

post-4503-0-23442500-1299748893_thumb.jpg

This is good :yes: .

It’s like a Ruth Rendal mystery :thumbs: .

Umm let me think about this laterally then :hmm: .

The pigeon is the closest target so would be the easier shot really :yes: , but I suppose at this time of year in the UK the woodies are starting to pair up so you could have spared it its life and waited till after its created new life before shooting it later in the year ;) .

If you were hungry for a feed you could have taken a buck rabbit easy enough :yes: .

The thieving black nest robber if left to live could have quite easily taken the woodies new life creation later in the year by attacking the nest :censored: ,so a shot at it would probably be the best solution to kill 2 problems in one .

Now you need to think are you legal to shoot any of the birds and is your actions going to meet the UK licences?

As this is on a open forum and not all reading this are here for there own pleasure or to read about our sport /way of life,

If the answer is no then you don’t take the shot (full stop).

If yes then:

You say that the bird was at 25 metres and you were using a .22 Stealth (nice rifle by the way) I’ve had 2 of them in the past.

I would personally be zeroed for 25 metres using a .22 so would have increased my mag to x 10 power and aimed at the leading edge of the birds brain, towards the wind to compensate for wind drift.

I would have also waited till the branch that it was sitting on stopped moving up and down so much before I took the shot to stand a better chance of a clean and humane kill ;) .

If I wasn’t confident though in making a clean kill I would of not took the shot.

It’s just down to individual shooting capability really and on the law and how you interpret it in regards to making a decision to shoot or not.

I'm sure though, thats the same black nest robbing, lambs eyes pecking and golf course destroyer that is part of that huge flock of corvids that have been causing havoc just down the road ;):laugh:.

Si

Edited by zini

Looking at the angle Al :hmm:. I reckon you shot the woody clean through the head, the pellet ricochets off the path and clipped the crow in the swede and killed it :D.

the pigeon ended up in the pot and the crow to the Ferrets

Jasp

:laugh: :laugh: excellent replies folks, Jasper you'd have been right if I'd used a cross bow!!!! :laugh:

Had to be the tree bandit, always "wood" be!. My reasons, the woody probably has eaten a fair few berries this Winter and would taste like crap :sick: , but he/she'd clocked me from the ground as less wind noise anyway :thumbs: whereas the bandit is my main quarry 365 days of the year...........ask any sheep farmer why :blink:

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated........Al :thumbs:

Had to be the tree bandit, always "wood" be!. My reasons, the woody probably has eaten a fair few berries this Winter and would taste like crap :sick: , but he/she'd clocked me from the ground as less wind noise anyway :thumbs: whereas the bandit is my main quarry 365 days of the year...........ask any sheep farmer why :blink:

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated........Al :thumbs:

Nice one Al :notworthy: the thinking mans choice before he squeezes the trigger.

Good topic pal :thumbs:

atb Jasp

Nice one Al, very good topic. It's good to get everyone thinking and just as interesting to read the responses.

So, you didn't say you got the Bandit only went for it! how did the shot go?? :gunsmilie:

ATB, Andy