longnetting hares - no dogs invloved

guyliath

Hi All,

I had a search on here and only found one topic about longnetting hares, which didn't cover experiences, advice or definite legality. so I have started this thread.

I am very interested to know if 1, it is legal to set long nets and beat hares into them (no dogs involved for obvious reasons).

And 2, has anyone on here caught hares this way. If so, is it productive and would you be prepared to share your experiences. It is something I would dearly like to try, all being legal and on permission.

I have seen Hares nets available so I guess it was ok at one time.

all the best,

G

IN IRELAND I NO ITS LEGAL..BUT NOT 100% SURE..I DONT NO IF YOU NEED A LICENCE OR SOMETHING AS THE COURSING CLUB BEAT THEM FOR THE COURSING WITH MUZZLES..HARE LONG NETS ARE MUCH STRONGER AND HIGHER THAN A ONE YOU WOULD USE FOR RABBITS..SO BEFORE YOU DO IT THE HARE COULD EASILY F*CK UP YOUR NET..!!

i recon its legal to hare net but if its not just dont get caught... i wouldnt be using the cheep longnets that are advertised for bunnies.. yes there cheep and perfectly ok for bunnies ( use them myself ).. but i think unless you keep a man on the net it will be ripped to bits..

sure somebody will be along with a definate answer on the legalaties

Cheer guys for all your replies. I would love to know more. The nets I was looking at were def for hares, strong cord and 5" meshes. Thanks for all the input, I would love to know about any more resources concerning the hare netting. Cheers g

My dad told me they would find a hare run in a field.Set up a snare tie it to a cut branch.So when the hare got cauth in the snare it could still pull to the hedge row.That way the fox wouldent find it in the field..If the snare was moved they would just walk the hedge row and find it.:thumbs:

You need some hare boxes to transport them. I have netter scores and the secret to it is to get Sally into a SMALL dark box asap. And, don't wait for her to go in the net of her own accord, she isnt daft, give her a bit of a 'GEE!' up.... :thumbs:

IN IRELAND I NO ITS LEGAL..BUT NOT 100% SURE..I DONT NO IF YOU NEED A LICENCE OR SOMETHING AS THE COURSING CLUB BEAT THEM FOR THE COURSING WITH MUZZLES..HARE LONG NETS ARE MUCH STRONGER AND HIGHER THAN A ONE YOU WOULD USE FOR RABBITS..SO BEFORE YOU DO IT THE HARE COULD EASILY F*CK UP YOUR NET..!!

Its illigal to net hare's in eire without a licence.unless your part of a coursing club that have a club licence,but very easy to do if you know where they are and there runs,ie..bridges..gate's..gap's.

Cheers, again guys for all your info. I really appreciate it. For those who have done it, would you walk the field in a line toward the net, like beating birds, or is there more to it with hares?

All the best,

G

Yes mate, one thing to bear in mind, if you are beating toward a hedge, make sure your net is set on the opposite side to where you are, they seem to go in easier. You will not make a hare go where it doesn't want to so theres a bit of field craft involved in where to set the net(s). :thumbs: Good luck., :victory: