A Comparison of Commercially Sold Leg-Hold Snares

An outfit located out in Iowa called the Snare Shop.com sells various trapping supplies, of which I bought two foot snares mainly out of curiousity. Both of these foot snares are shown on the same page of the following link to the Snare Shop's product listing, but in terms of design concept and trapping effectiveness, these two products are worlds apart.

http://www.snareshop.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=49&category_id=369&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

The Freemont Foot-Snare is by far one of the most elegant trap designs I have ever seen, and its ultra-lightweight construction is simplicity itself. I tried out one of the ten Freemont leg snares that I ordered, activating the trigger with a soft tree-branch. Cutting to the chase, the Freemont snare works like a dream, throwing a tight,snugly locked noose around the branch with blinding speed. For the red river hogs that I discovered to be extremely wary of neck snares, the Freemont leg snare has got to be the secret weapon that will turn the tables in my favor, and snag those wily porkers with ruthless efficiency. For you fox hunters in the UK who may one day opt for over-the-shelf traps to nail old Charlie, there is NO better foot snare available today than the Freemont, and I must quickly add that I have no affiliation with the makers of this product.

So much for the good news. The bad news is the Belisle Foot Snare, advertised on the same page as the Freemont snare in the link above. Unlike the minimalist approach used in the design of the Freemont snare, the Belisle trap is absolute crap, and looks like it was put together by a mad and sadistic scientist who just lives to increase the unnecessary complexity of all he touches. You damn near have to hold a PHD in mechanical engineering just to figure out how to set the Belisle trap, which bristles with enough sharp edges and protrusions to assure impalement as one grapples with the ridiculously convoluted setting mechanism.

Most importantly, the Belisle foot snare does NOT snap the snare shut, but is supposed to work on the expectation that the animal, caught in the metal temporary holding jaws of the trap, will oblige the trapper by dragging the trap for enough distance for the snare to close on its leg. Tested multiple times with sticks, the Belisle holds an unbroken record of FAILURES to close the snare,no matter how much it was dragged about. So if you are ever in the market for a spring-loaded snare, don't buy a Belisle. Buy a Freemont. Thus ends my ranting sermon today, folks. With this off my chest, I can return to normalcy. Thanks for listening.

Edited by swamp thang

An outfit located out in Iowa called the Snare Shop.com sells various trapping supplies, of which I bought two foot snares mainly out of curiousity. Both of these foot snares are shown on the same page of the following link to the Snare Shop's product listing, but in terms of design concept and trapping effectiveness, these two products are worlds apart.

http://www.snareshop.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=49&category_id=369&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

The Freemont Foot-Snare is by far one of the most elegant trap designs I have ever seen, and its ultra-lightweight construction is simplicity itself. I tried out one of the ten Freemont leg snares that I ordered, activating the trigger with a soft tree-branch. Cutting to the chase, the Freemont snare works like a dream, throwing a tight,snugly locked noose around the branch with blinding speed. For the red river hogs that I discovered to be extremely wary of neck snares, the Freemont leg snare has got to be the secret weapon that will turn the tables in my favor, and snag those wily porkers with ruthless efficiency. For you fox hunters in the UK who may one day opt for over-the-shelf traps to nail old Charlie, there is NO better foot snare available today than the Freemont, and I must quickly add that I have no affiliation with the makers of this product.

So much for the good news. The bad news is the Belisle Foot Snare, advertised on the same page as the Freemont snare in the link above. Unlike the minimalist approach used in the design of the Freemont snare, the Belisle trap is absolute crap, and looks like it was put together by a mad and sadistic scientist who just lives to increase the unnecessary complexity of all he touches. You damn near have to hold a PHD in mechanical engineering just to figure out how to set the Belisle trap, which bristles with enough sharp edges and protrusions to assure impalement as one grapples with the ridiculously convoluted setting mechanism.

Most importantly, the Belisle foot snare does NOT snap the snare shut, but is supposed to work on the expectation that the animal, caught in the metal temporary holding jaws of the trap, will oblige the trapper by dragging the trap for enough distance for the snare to close on its leg. Tested multiple times with sticks, the Belisle holds an unbroken record of FAILURES to close the snare,no matter how much it was dragged about. So if you are ever in the market for a spring-loaded snare, don't buy a Belisle. Buy a Freemont. Thus ends my ranting sermon today, folks. With this off my chest, I can return to normalcy. Thanks for listening.

i,m fairy sure we are not allowed to use any spring operated snares in the UK,

The collarum is spring operated but neck hold and we can use those however we aint never going to be allowed leg hold snares not in this lifetime anyway

if i was a fox ,i sooner a snare aroung my foot than my neck,relaxing or not

I had no idea that spring loaded foot snares are illegal in the UK. I would have thought they would be ok since they really are a gentler way to hold an animal. Watched a Youtube video the other day of a man using his own arm to set off a Freemont snare, to demonstrate how light of a grip they apply, so it never really crossed my mind that such a device would be banned anywhere. Oh well, thanks for clearing the air on that, fellas. I imagine Mr.Fox will be glad for one less hazard to worry about in the UK.

Edited by swamp thang

I had no idea that spring loaded foot snares are illegal in the UK. I would have thought they would be ok since they really are a gentler way to hold an animal. Watched a Youtube video the other day of a man using his own arm to set off a Freemont snare, to demonstrate how light of a grip they apply, so it never really crossed my mind that such a device would be banned anywhere. Oh well, thanks for clearing the air on that, fellas. I imagine Mr.Fox will be glad for one less hazard to worry about in the UK.

It is not that we wouldn't use them it is just that every anti in the country is trying to get snaring banned no matter how it is done this bloody country is full of do-gooders with nowt better to do than make others lives more difficult I only wish we could use them the more tools in the shed the better so to speak :thumbs: :thumbs:

Only the Aldrich Spring Activated Animal Snare is licensed and this can be used “only for the purpose of killing or taking large, non-indigenous,

mammalian carnivoresâ€.

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/products/wcs-collarum-fox-live-capture-trap-p2805-c416.html

It would appear that solway feeders are selling these illegally then??

Although the Collarum is not yet approved in Scotland there is nothing to stop them selling it as long as it was not used by there Scottish based customers.

Only the Aldrich Spring Activated Animal Snare is licensed and this can be used "only for the purpose of killing or taking large, non-indigenous,

mammalian carnivores".

http://www.solwayfee...p2805-c416.html

Although the Collarum is not yet approved in Scotland there is nothing to stop them selling it as long as it was not used by there Scottish based customers.

IAN, IS THAT SNARELOCK ON THE COLLARUM SNARE LOOP A SURELOCK, IF SO ITS ILLEGAL IN U.K. ALSO, AT 100 POUNDS A GO , EXTORSION,ALSO WHO THE HELL WANTS TO BE DIGGING THIS CONTRAPTION INTO HARD FREEZING GROUND IN WINTER, WHEN I CAN SET A 25 PENCE FOX SNARE OVER A TRAIL AND BE GONE IN LESS THAN TWO MINUTES. AND IF YOUR COLLARUM IS NICKED YOUR WELL OUT OF POCKET LAD.

• Like 1

Only the Aldrich Spring Activated Animal Snare is licensed and this can be used “only for the purpose of killing or taking large, non-indigenous,

mammalian carnivoresâ€.

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/products/wcs-collarum-fox-live-capture-trap-p2805-c416.html

who was it now who made such a fuss over the leagality of my home made rat tube trap :whistling: .as snare man said.the lock on the collarum snare aint leagle in the uk.same as the micro lock mink/squirrel sold on the pro trapper site :thumbs:

• Like 1

The collarum has a relaxalock, other locks on the protrapper site are also said to be relaxing. Never used the micro lock but have experience all be it limited with others and have found them to do as it says a nd allows the noose to slacken off when the animal stops fighting, which in the majority of cases they do, simple cause and effect learning.

Talpa