The best air rifle scope you ever had????

After reading through some older posts I notice that some of you list your gun/scope combination in your posting signature.

Lots of different scopes, with different magnifications and objective lens diameter.This got me thinking about what is/has been the best scope you have had for Air rifle only.

So, which scope/reticle are you currently using?

And, for those with a few rifles/scopes to pick from, which scope do you prefer?

Cheers

Markha

When you have several in your price range though, it helps to know which people say are the best, least prone to failure, etc etc! Daft thing is I have seen this scope being sold elsewhere for twice as much, seemeth like a bargain!

Edited to say that I have had a bit more of a sniff about and it sems Tasco have gone broke, this could explain why the scope I have found is as cheap as the proverbial portion of deep fried potato pieces!

Edited by secretagentmole

I have actually found a scope, so good I bought it twice Mark.

I have two SIMMONS WHITETAIL CLASSIC 4.5-14X40mm AO scopes for my FAC .22 Weihrauch HW80 rifle and sub 12 ft/lb Weihrauch HW77. No longer made by Simmons alas. I was damm lucky to find another, second hand mint condition one for my HW77 just before Christmas last, and that cost me a hundred quid. They were priced at £232 eleven years ago when I bought my first. In my opinion these Simmons Whitetails were the finest scope you could bolt onto a Weihrauch spring rifle. Beautifully finished, superbly well made, durable as old boots and very precise in zero. They are 30-30 Duplex (Simmons call theirs Truplex) reticle scopes but, their accuracy makes holdover estimation easy to learn and accurately predict.

Similarly, I have a BUSHNELL 4-14X50 SCOPECHIEF mounted on my Air Arms TX200HC. Another absolute beauty of a scope no longer made. This cost £335 when new ten years ago. Crystal clear sightpicture at all ranges in all light conditions. Holds zero to a pinhead through the mag-range. It too, is a 30-30 Duplex reticle. I would buy another one of these and another same-spec Simmons Whitetail scope, no hesitation.

Simon

Edit to add. Tasco were once, many years ago a giant optics company Moley, much like Hawke are today, who made an amazing range of scopes for all types of shooting and did an enormous amount of good in getting affordable, quality scopes into the hands of air rifle shooters, including myself.

They went from being a world market leader to going broke and bought out by others who had no more imagination than to make cheap imitations of what the company products once were. The fortunes of Tasco have been very chequered ever since and the quality of products has suffered. Consequently you will find guys who quite rightly have had some great scopes and swear by them, to others who have had poor performance.

In this day and age, I would not buy a Tasco scope Moley. Unless I knew it had been made from the good old days of ten-fifteen years ago or more.

Edited by pianoman

The best scope I've ever put on an air rifle? I had a Swarovski 3-18X50 Z6i. It was a little ridiculous, having well over £1000 worth of scope on top of an old springer worth less than £100, but it was definitely accurate! Wish it was actually mine, not borrowed.

I use/have used several different Nikko scopes, and been pleased with all of them. I have one on my .243 at the moment, and it does the job brilliantly!

I also like the Hawke scopes. I have one on my PCP, and one on my .22LR, and both hold zero very well, offer good clear optics and seem well made, great value for money!

Hi Lads,

For me its the MTC range of scopes. The SCB reticule was specifically designe for the air rifle trajectory. It offers a 1/2,3/4 and a whole mildot aiming points that sees my combo spot on out to 45yds. The lines also offer windage guides, each line representing a 10mph crosswind.

I have the fixed 10x44mm Viper. MTC offer loads of freebies such as side wheel, sunshade, flip ups and mounts. For the money its a lot of scope with decent optics.

Im also a big fan of the Hawke SR6/12 Rets. Similar to the SCB and can be used to great effect with Chairgun!

Kind Regards,

Mikey.

For me i think it was the scope on my Pro Sport before i sold it.

It was a Hawke Nite Eye 6-24x50 AO IR with the SR12 reticule.

I have to say my Hawke Airmax 6-18x44 AO with the SR12 reticule that i have on my r10 is also brilliant.

Im just in the process of saving for a HW100KT in .177 and a Hawke Side Winder Tac 30 4-16x44 AO IR as Ive heard they are very good.

Got to save for 7 months though :thumbdown:

Si

Edited by zini

For me i think it was the scope on my Pro Sport before i sold it.

It was a Hawke Nite Eye 6-24x50 AO IR with the SR12 reticule.

I have to say my Hawke Airmax 6-18x44 AO with the SR12 reticule that i have on my r10 is also brilliant.

Im just in the process of saving for a HW100KT in .177 and a Hawke Side Winder Tac 30 4-16x44 AO IR as Ive heard they are very good.

Got to save for 7 months though :thumbdown:

Si

Got a Hawke nite eye 3-10 x 44 IR zini good scope.:thumbs:

Had a nice Nighteater , nice fast lens , good in low light but a bit on the large side for hunting . Also i like the Hawke range , Nighteye being a good one .

Thanks to a fellow member on here i have just got my hands on a long awaited Optima Super Moonlighter , not had chance with it yet but im sure it`ll do the job :thumbs:

Buster

Until recently I'd have said my Luger 3-9x42, 30mm tube, 4A ret. A good solid basic scope with a very sharp picture.

I got the thing from ebay about three years back from a place in Germany, half price so I thought I'd got myself a bit of a bargain. A few weeks back it got a right good soaking and it let in some water, upon closer inspection I could see that the 'o' ring round the front of the objective lense wasn't seated properly. Some feckin' bargin, I reckon I've bought a second :wallbash:

Cheers.