Budget rifle recommendations please

i used to sell them at about the 180 mark when they first came out,that was the xs version, came with a silencer shorter carbin size. that was some time ago though.

goggle them im shure you will find a new price with ease.

mole the triggers on the hw's are renowned as some of the best there is the rekord trigger unit, the one you saw would have needed 2 mins of time and adjustment,

i not to long ago had a hw35 that was time old, had made in west germany stamped on it.

this thing was built better and still in top form and is now with a very happey hunter still bagging, just ask terrier john. was made back then to a standard that will put many many new rifles to shame..

Andy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hogdog,

For that price mate they are giving that tuned rifle away buddy, so the extra £13 for postage would be well worth the deal, and in terms of quality you are getting a rifle that will do everything a rifle twice or three times its price tag would do buddy due to the fact that it has been tuned probably by Steve Pope who is another top quality rifle tuner.

Ive shot venom tuned models in the past, infact i owned a tuned HW35 last Summer and used it at DavyT63's shooting meet and it was knocking small targets over at 45 metres with ease from the sitting position buddy so i know that that rifle will be a brilliant little buy.

Let me know how you get on with it pal if you buy it.

ATB

Si

You can get new ones not tuned for £189 buddy.

The tune would cost approx between £70 to £120.

Im not sure what Steve Pope charges now mate but Sandwell Field Sports would be able to do it for around £70 i reckin and the finished job would blow you off your feet.

I reckon the one in the advert is saving you around £80 at the worst case guess but probably more around £100.

Si.

Edited by zini

i used to sell them at about the 180 mark when they first came out,that was the xs version, came with a silencer shorter carbin size. that was some time ago though.

goggle them im shure you will find a new price with ease.

mole the triggers on the hw's are renowned as some of the best there is the rekord trigger unit, the one you saw would have needed 2 mins of time and adjustment,

i not to long ago had a hw35 that was time old, had made in west germany stamped on it.

this thing was built better and still in top form and is now with a very happey hunter still bagging, just ask terrier john. was made back then to a standard that will put many many new rifles to shame..

Andy

I know Andy, the rifle also looked a little beaten up and I thought the stock was too short for me as well (remember that long war we all had due to Mole not listening?), could have had a custom short stock on it for all I know, I just did not like it! HW do make some cracking weapons though, the cocking and pellet loading action on it was so sweet, I loved that! In the end I went with what I was happy with and I am still happy with, it is down to personal choice.

That is why I did not launch into you must buy mode, but am a lot more balanced (ha ha ha ha, maniacal take over the world type laughter) these days. It is personal choice, if he decides not to go for this one, he could do a lot worse than get himself over to his cousin's place of employment and see what discounts he can take advantage of (employee discount et al) and there he can handle the weapons, maybe even fire them, so he can decide what is best for him.

Edited by secretagentmole

your very right mole it is very much a personal choice thing, geting a gun that fits well in the sholder is very important to your acuracy.

this little bargin that si's found is a very good buy, diffinatly worth a look at,

get down to your cousins gaff and see if they have one there to try on for fit.or in fact just get down there and try a few, see what YOU like,

all's that we can do is tell him what the good rifles to look out for are, if he likes them is entierly personal choice.

Andy

Agreed, I am thinking of going pcp for hunting though, thinking of a Webley Raider 10, new they are £295! I know people will start screaming, but I like my Webley (Edgar/Hatsan)! Seems to be a well specced gun, so Mole is doing some digging and will see where the tunnel ends up (but I want multishot and full power, bunnies are getting used to me I think, either that or my fieldcraft is getting better)!

Edited to say hey if I go PCP I would really have no use for me Stingray Mk II, bought in January! Would have a Hawke Scope fitted and zeroed in! Cost £300 for the combo and I am sure the wife would bring me down to deliver it, interested (I am a cheeky Mole aren't I)? But that is if I go PCP, big if as well!

Edited to say that I have also adapted her for night time hunting (insulating tape over the Truglo sights that flare like hell in lamp light)!

Edited by secretagentmole

that webley looks like a right purchase! i wish i had some of these guys on side when a bought my first rifle. gotta get in a mention of my mates old SMK19 that cost him 100 quid, he put some 50 quid richter optik scopes on it and he was devastating with it, i really liked it, and for 150 quid you can't go wrong. i'd personally be looking at the weihrauch and webley ranges if i had to buy a springer again.

I've checked the bank account and it just won't stretch to that Webley at the moment, I'm hoping it's still there in a week or two.

For me it's almost entirely a financial decision because I'm buying it to provide food for my dogs and I'm paying £1.75 a kilo at the moment for minced chicken so I'm gonna need to bag over 100 kilos of rabbit/pigeon before it pays for itself compared to about 50 kilos for the cheaper one...I know it's an odd way of looking at it but that's the situation.

Edited by hogdog

Gonna be spending a little time getting 100kg's of meat I rekon.

You got a mincer mate so ya can just skin and mince practically otherwise gonna be very labor intensive and time consuming way to feed your dogs, Take it your feeding barf.

Rabbit and pigeon and such is also very lean so keeping weight on may be an issue.

As for guns The snk seems the way forward for you.

karpman

Yeah, I reckon so but if I can get some permission on the land around here I reckon it will be worth it in the long run...50 kilos shouldn't be too tricky going by the amount of rabbits around here. It's also for a but of fun and pest control but I'd like it to pay for itself in the long run. I'll still be feeding a mix of meats and I know that rabbit is very low in fat so I'll keep it 50/50 mix at the most. I haven't got a mincer at the moment but I can get one fairly cheaply.

Sounds a good plan pal,

Every bit of free meat is gonna bring the cost per kilo anyway.

Guessing with you budget pal some Chinese gun is about only way forward, Maybe even a second hand one.

If you could stretch to a used Hw would cut out the inevitable need to upgrade later mate.

Good luck mate and have fun

karpman

Edited by Karpman