Budget rifle recommendations please

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good gunshop should have a guarantee on it, have you got any friends who are into shooting who could come with you to advise you?

If not I would recommend buying a Hatsan new out of the box, as then you have new manuafacturer as well as retailer warranty, where in the country are you? Look in yell for gunshops!

But if you are scared I would recommend start with a Hatsan, they are reliable, full powered, sold under different badges by a well known british name (Webley) and liked by many!

Edited by secretagentmole

I like my Hatsans, I will admit it, I am not paid by them and they have a chunky old rifle feel (I grew up shooting my dads old 1970s BSA).

But ask your cousin Hogdog, if they work in the trade you might also be able to factor in a discount if you buy through them!

Quite a few dealers like Hatsans as well, the one who services my guns likes Hatsans, rates them as good value and recommends them as a good starter hunter gun.

They are limited by their cost admittedly, they are not going to handle as well as a Diana, HW, etc, this is where cousin can come in and advise. But if you want new out of the box reliability, go for a Hatsan.

My wife had a Gamo, brand new, did not rate it and traded it in for a Diana, she bought new, and got on trade in what she paid for the gun (odd but true)! So sometimes buying new is not as bad as people make out! She says just don't buy a Gamo though!

Edited to add, you can get a Hatsan, slip case, decent scope (Hakwe or Nikko Stirling) and a few tins of pellets for under £200, ask for an all in deal!

on that budget and wanting a new rifle you should go for an smk xs19 :whistling: i,ve seen alot of these used very effectivly but budget for a decent scope hawke or nikko sterling should do for around 50 quid, if you do decide to go second hand then the above mentioned hw,s and air arms springers are a better rifle :gunsmilie: but its up to you if you desperatly need a new rifle :thumbs: hope this helps

Garfield I also reckon he should have a good word with his cousin who has just started in a gun shop, the OP may be able to get some additional discount and cousin makes their job safer by bringing in a customer with some money! Don't know what the XS19 is like so I cannot comment, I just advised him to stay away from the bottom end of the SMK/Westlake/Custom Lion bit. But I think his best way to buy would be to have a chat with his cousin and his cousin's employer!

OK, this the review for the Hatsan/Edgar Brothers 55/60S at the review centre...

Hatsan/Edgar reviews

This is the review for the XS19...

SMK XS19 reviews

If you want to go out of the box new, these are seriously worth looking at. But like I have said before, speak to your cousin, speak to their employer and when you have made your choice, why not come back on here and give your purchases a review? It helps other people!

Come on Zini, Silent, what do you guys think? You have had lots of experience with guns!

Hi there pal,

If you want a cheap rifle that will do the business for you easily and pay for itself in meat, have a look at this model buddy

For £180 you wont go wrong with a rifle of this quality and it will last you longer than some of the cheaper brands that you could end up settling on.

You will also see that it has been tuned by Venom so you know that it will be consistant and accurate as hell.

ATB

Si

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/101029092115000

Edited by zini

i will second si's idea there, i had one of these many moons ago and it was a very good little rifle, in fact it was the last springer i had befor pcp love hit me.

she was a right little work horse and accouted for many a kill,

will also say have a look at the smk model 19,there a very good little gun when ran in, i no a fair few that use these, dont go thinking that because smk import the b2 and db4 that all there guns are the same, because there not,

but if the budgit will strech then deffinatly look at the aa or the hw's, there are in a class of there own. nothing wrong with picking these up 2nd hand,there built bomb proof.

Andy

Perfect little rifle find Si. :thumbs:

I've forgotten how good these little Webley Exocets were. Just the thing for shouldering up and taking with you on a walk over your permission, to full-on hunting and stalking. This one is a genuine bargain for your budget hogdog. Move fast and bag it!

Edit to add. Total agreement with Andy here on secondhand Air Arms TX200. TX200HC rifles and Weihrauch break barrel springrifles like HW95 as the lightest; to proper powerhouses like the HW80 :gunsmilie: I have an 11-year old HW80 that's as accurate and reliable as the day I bought her brand new. Weihrauch HW77 underlever is an absolutely superb, all round super-accurate hunter. You'll find these on the second hand sections at prices you can afford.

If I was in your boots hogdog, I'd be looking for second user Air Arms and Weihrauch spring rifles if the Xocet has sold. :thumbs:

Simon

Edited by pianoman

Andy, they (the HWs) can be bomb proof but there are some idiots can detonate any bomb! I had a bad experience with an underlever HW that temporarily prejudiced me against them (a trigger so damned light a gnat farting would have set it off), luckily that was at a gun shop with a testing range so I found out I did not like it before I bought it! But they are good guns, just the one I saw did not feel right to me (personal choice counts for a lot) but the mechanism was slick and it was a fairly old weapon too (judging by the condition about 3-4 years old)! I can second the Webley (AKA Hatsan/Edgar), and a Venom tuned one would be a peach! The Xocets are no longer made so you will only find them secondhand!