Budget rifle recommendations please

I'm thinking about getting an air rifle, mainly for pigeon and rabbits to provide food for my dogs and maybe myself. I'm prepared to start off with something basic as I'm on a tight budget - it will have to pay for itself in meat for my dogs so the cheaper the better as long as it does the job well enough.

Please keep the technical terms to a minimum or add an explanation as this is all new to me at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know I'm afraid but I'm guessing £100-£200??? basically as low as I can get away with without it being a load of old crap. Maybe when I get into it more I might trade it in for something better.

I've only looked into springers at around £80-£100 but I've been told that they're not really suitable for rabbits.

I really don't know I'm afraid but I'm guessing £100-£200??? basically as low as I can get away with without it being a load of old crap. Maybe when I get into it more I might trade it in for something better.

I've only looked into springers at around £80-£100 but I've been told that they're not really suitable for rabbits.

Springers are fine for rabbits! A pcp is nicer but there's nothing wrong with a springer.

You've been told wrong then, Hogdog, for £200 you'll get yourself a really nice used springer :thumbs:

Without wanting to sart an argument here ( :whistling: ) if you look for a good used HW or Air Arms springer, you'll not go far wrong. The guns are built to last a lifetime and the worst you're likely to find with a used one is maybe it'll need a service kit ( spring and seals ) that'll cost you around £25 for DIY or £40 ish for a shop to fit it for you.

Cheers.

What about the lower end stuff? I've been told you can buy springers from around £80 although I didn't actually check if that was new or used...DOH!

You can buy new stuff from the far east and Turkey etc and they can be used to good effect but they ain't much cop really. Crappy build, shite triggers, noisey and just generally not too nice to use...

If you shop around, you'll get yourself a really nice used gun that someone's paid 4 of 5 hundred quid for for less than 200 sheets. HW80, 90, 95, 97, 77 or Air Arms TX, HC or maybe a Pro Sport. Also the Diana range is worth a look, the 48 and 52 will fall within your price if you can find one.

There are lots to avoid i wont mention them tho :whistling: , I'd recomend a spring rifle purely on your budget as the pcp's are alot more expensive, Rifles i would recomend are any thing in the Weirauch range between the hw77 and the hw95 Air arms also make good rifle the Tx200 or Prosport, Bsa are also worth a mention i used to own a Bsa Lightening and it was a great little rifle. Hope this helps.

Right, time for Mole to rear his ugly head! Everybody duck but I have a soft spot for a springer that a lot of people decry, however a lot of people also love them, but if you do not want a secondhand gun might I recommend two budget springers that are full powered, but affordable!

These are the Hatsan 55S and 60S! I know folks, but some people prefer new guns and give the devil it's due, these rifles are good value for money and well built. I have a three year old 60S that is still nice to fire (having a Webley Quattro trigger), predictable and accurate! These guns are available for about the £90-100 mark, new, from gun dealers. They are usually sold under the Edgar Brothers label. The 55S is the 177 and the 60S is the 22. Both make about 10.5-11.5 ft/lbs (maximum without an FAC is 12).

They do go off with a bit of a twang, but recoil is minimised (they have a recoil absorbing system). They are a nice frst time gun, both the wife and I have a 60S. I also have a Webley Stinray mark II (expensive version of a 55S) and the wife has a Diana 280 Carbine. The stocks are solid walnut and they do look nice (biased I own one, well two really). It depends which way you want to go. I will not decry secondhand guns as there are some damned good buys out there. Have a word with your local gunshop, see what they have, try firing a few, see what you like, just under any circumstances, do not be talked into buying a B2, DB4, or any gun of that ilk!

Springers are slow to reload as you have to recock and insert another pellet. So take your time and try and make the shot count.