What to do when a dog cant keep anything down ?

My mates dog not very well, hes throwing up and cant keep any food down, he took him to the vet and got some medicine but he cant even keep that down.Incase it matters he is a staffy and getting on a bit.

he is taking him back to the vets tomorrow asap but just wondering if anyone had any suggestions in the mean time ?

I think fish and boiled rice is meant to help a bit. Someone I know had a springer that couldnt keep anything down and this seemed to work. Fluids are more important though, so if it cant keep water down, it needs a drip.

Edited by PoCk0

The most important thing is that the dog takes in some fluids,even if he is still being sick he still needs fluid,even if the only way to get it to drink is to get a teaspoon of water and pull the side of his lower lip out and pour it on the outside of his mouth so he has to swallow it.I personally would be getting him down the vets now as he really needs to be on a drip.

Martin

The most important thing is that the dog takes in some fluids,even if he is still being sick he still needs fluid,even if the only way to get it to drink is to get a teaspoon of water and pull the side of his lower lip out and pour it on the outside of his mouth so he has to swallow it.I personally would be getting him down the vets now as he really needs to be on a drip.

Martin

Agreed! just like humans an animal can go a fair time without 'food' but will die pretty sharpish if it is losing fluids by vomit/urinating/defecation. Water is essential.

I know nothing about staffies but if you are talking old dogs there are a multitude of reasons for it throwing up; vets is the best place to go. However, ask yourself a couple of simple questions... what has it eaten drunk or lately (anything out of the ordinary? bones/barf/refuse) and where has it been that is either unusual or uncommon (contact with poisons or allergies).

• Like 1

My mates dog not very well, hes throwing up and cant keep any food down, he took him to the vet and got some medicine but he cant even keep that down.Incase it matters he is a staffy and getting on a bit.

he is taking him back to the vets tomorrow asap but just wondering if anyone had any suggestions in the mean time ?

When was it last wormed mate?

Failure to keep anything down at all could mean a blockage in the intestines: did the vet check to see if there was anything stuck in the dog's intestines? My Airedale used to play with stones: must have accidentally swallowed one: one day she just couldn't eat or even keep water down. Emergency op. to remove stone from small intestine! This was about a year ago: she doesn't play with stones any more LOL

Seriously though, if the dog can't even keep water down then it needs to be at the vet's on a drip: dehydration kills quicker than just about anything else.

tricky one this, you didn't say he cant keep water down so id try SILVER WATER. dont no how ye are fixed for it over ther but health food shops do it here in IRL. its great to clear a dogs system and get them thriving again.

Edited by fox digger

I also think it's a blckage.

My 13 year old staffy did the same last year, he ate a carrier bag but we didn't find out til it was too late. He couldn't eat or drink and the vet gave us AB's for him which did nothing, they then X-rayed him but nothing showed up, still getting sicker so they booked him for an ultrasound on the Monday but Sunday he passed a little bit of carrier bag then died :(