Retained Energy

Davys running on jamacan time where one sec can mean anything up to half a day, leeford the rasta used to tell me 5mins then I wouldent see him for a week :laugh: :laugh:

Edited to say no hes not, he beat me to my gag lol

Just joking davy, I know you have one heck of a hunting archive to dig through :thumbs:

Edited by rossi_j

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Goldfinger.   I was shooting with AndyFR1968 on my permission a few weeks ago. He was using his .177 Diana 52, I was shooting my .22 Weihrauch HW77. He hit a rock about the size of a rabbit's hea

Just been playing with chairgun pro and noticed that .22 calibre retains a lot more of its muzzle energy over distances than the .177,obviously this can be an advantage when hunting vermin. No dought

Yes each calibre does have it's own pro's and con's but unless you are doing extreme long range penetration testing I have found that 99.9% of all the pellets I've run through CG Pro will have enough

True Ste as the Magnum is a harder and heavier design.

Me and Phantom took some .177 Magnum pellets out a tree at Christmas in Germany and they had only deformed a slight bit.

Si

I can beleve it si I have seen them come of andys back stop ready to go back in the tin :laugh:

Nice one davy, sp for pics and autopsy, that is a great example of a deformed pellet.

Did you manage to find cause of death?? :laugh: :laugh:

.atb. .ste.

Yes that is exactly what I was trying to describe.

Some excellent photos showing proof of the pellet deforming inside a pigeon and rabbits skull there Davy pal.

We can do some better testing with different brands of pellet when I come over and meet up with you and Andy Davy.

When we spoke on the phone last I messed the date up. I'll be at Andy's 25 and 26th march not the weekend earlier as I stated earlier pal.

Si

Yes that is exactly what I was trying to describe.

Some excellent photos showing proof of the pellet deforming inside a pigeon and rabbits skull there Davy pal.

We can do some better testing with different brands of pellet when I come over and meet up with you and Andy Davy.

When we spoke on the phone last I messed the date up. I'll be at Andy's 25 and 26th march not the weekend earlier as I stated earlier pal.

Si

hi si

my bday on the 25th of march :thumbs:

i will see what im doing and try make it

atb steve

using chairgun .600 FT per sec as a good pellet speed for hunting .15 grain as a pellet weight in 177 and 22 .At 70 yards a 177 exterminator fac has more power than 22 bisley super field .Proving to me a 177 can retain more energy than a 22.The 177 having a better BC . This is only for 12 ftlbs .

Hi Barry,

Sorry buddy your last statement is not fully 100% correct mate.

“This is only for 12 ftlbs .â€

I can prove to you that if I was to add two 30 ft/lb FAC rifle profiles in both .177 and .22 caliber, with the same brand of pellets but different calibers the .22 would blow the .177 out the water for energy retention.

What you are talking about is mixing pellet brands and BC’s to defeat ChairGun buddy which is easy to do but is unfair.

I could also reverse engineer your technique buddy and pick 2 other different brands of pellet and make my .22 caliber energy laugh at the .177. Yet again this isn’t fair though.

Now try the test fairly buddy and add this info:

Power 29.99 ft / lbs

.22 caliber Bisley Magnum pellet at 21 grain with a BC of 0.0350

Zero range 50 yards = 20.987 ft / lbs

Target at 70 yards = 18.193 ft / lbs

Power 29.99 ft / lbs

.177 caliber Bisley Magnum pellet at 10.5 grain with a BC of 0.0250

Zero range 50 yards = 18.195 ft / lbs

Target at 70 yards = 14.897 ft / lbs

As you see from my results the .22 wins yet again.

Si

If you had 2 lumps of lead weighing the same .moving at the same speed .one in 177 one in 22 .the only differance being calliber size .the 177 will retain more energy . A bis mag in 177 or 22 have two things in common .they are in a green tins with bisley mag written on them .

Hmmm :hmm: If you had 2 lumps of lead, one in .177, one in .22 moving at the same speed....

Either you'd have one rather underpowered .177 rifle and they could hardly weigh the same now surely, in these two markedly different sizes. OR the .22 has been fired by an FAC level of air energy in order to match the speed of the sub 12 ft/lb .177 So.. in either scenario the .22 will retain more kinetic energy.

No matter what the bloody colour of the tin!

Hmmm :hmm: If you had 2 lumps of lead, one in .177, one in .22 moving at the same speed....

Either you'd have one rather underpowered .177 rifle and they could hardly weigh the same now surely, in these two markedly different sizes. OR the .22 has been fired by an FAC level of air energy in order to match the speed of the sub 12 ft/lb .177 So.. in either scenario the .22 will retain more kinetic energy.

:thumbs::laugh: :laugh:

Posted Today, 06:46 PM

Hmmm If you had 2 lumps of lead, one in .177, one in .22 moving at the same speed....

................ the 22 would have to be a shorter and fatter projectile than the 177 being thiner and longer and having less drag in the air .