Final hunt for Fluwijntje

Yesterday we were out fox hunting. First we drove a 10 km. and only 100 m. wide wooded parcel. There are usually foxes there but not this time. Only in the middle, a badger which we left there since he was protected.

I was a bitdisappointed having found no foxes. There was a small, long stroke of bush further on amidst empty fields. I was never there before. On one side, a shallow ditch. This thing was full of earths. Young beginner Maus found a fox in one, I tied Semtex up. In 10 minutes Maus bolted the fox nicely for the guns. But they touched it slightly and it ran off, to go to ground further on in the same place. The terrier nicely followed the track and found the fox back 100 meter further. Now the smallshot had tickled it and it had seen us I knew that it was not going to bolt a second time so I let Mouse work it again and tried with the locator, it was diggable but there were lots of tree roots for which we have a root saw. When Maus came out after another quarter of an hour I caught her befoire she re- entered.

I put in a hard dog: Fluwijntje, so she would have one fox for this season and we would only need to dig once or the fox would yet bolt quickly after contact if it could. Fluwijn in, she never bayed even once but took hold of the fox right away and fought it full contact for an hour. We could hear everything from the entrance. We dug but she never stayed in one place but seemed to drag the fox to the exit. We dug unto the pipe where she had passed by then, and we made a second pit on top of her further on and came out on Fluwijn and the fox. They wanted the fox alive to train a young terrier which was present there so I gave one of the helper diggers the tongs and he got the fox but could not pull it out. It was too deep in to reach with the hands. I opened up further and got Peyote who also tried to pull the fox out but Fluwijn pulled on the fox at the other side and it was still stuck. So away with Peyote. After opening a bit more I took a hold of the fox and took it out by both hind legs and the tail. Fluwijn followed after it and she was badly damaged, one side of her face was entirely open. This was end of career for Fluwijn, she was just too hard. She would soon become a house pet with another hunter, she was not to go to earth, ever, again.

Fluwijn came out of the earth wagging her tail as if she had had a great party and it was still fun. We had to take her to the vet's because I couldn't fix this. She's all right now and recovering here inside.

She must try to enjoy a life without earth work if she can. But she will be pampered in her new home and be taken to Germany to the wooden towers from which they hunt, and she may find the shot deer and pigs for her new owner and be spoilt a bit. And she will have an old Russell dog for a comrade.

In spite of her deep gameness to quarry and zero tolerance for cats, she is very obedient and people friendly. And quiet and easy going when not hunting. Should I put her to sleep now that she is physically unable to hunt, after she has worked so hard for us, while she can still enjoy a few years in a new home with another hunter who wants to give her a good life, while he appreciates a game brave little terrier?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would you really take her,silent on a wounded fox for over an hour and still could not finish the job,then try draw it with tonges and another dog to train a young terrier,thats why people look down o

Could have all been spared if the gun had the right catridge load in instead of light load.But now he is telling us he had 3 terriers destroyed before he got this next fox,what's he using yorkies.IMHO

You never had a fox on a ledge or round a corner. Can take a lot longer than an hour to kill or shift, in which time the damage can be extensive.   Unless you were there, sweeping statements like '

Send it on :thumbs:

Would you really take her,silent on a wounded fox for over an hour and still could not finish the job,then try draw it with tonges and another dog to train a young terrier,thats why people look down on terrier work,and every anti in the country reading this.f*****g AMATURES.

• Like 4

Would you really take her,silent on a wounded fox for over an hour and still could not finish the job,then try draw it with tonges and another dog to train a young terrier,thats why people look down on terrier work,and every anti in the country reading this.f*****g AMATURES.

and this is the truth!!!!!!!!!

and this is the truth!!!!!!!!!

well said lads totaly agree :thumbs:

This was not in England but in another country on the continent, and as for me I would have had the fox shot instantly, anyway it got shot a few moments later when it was shown to another young terrier there present, and it became clear that the young Jagd terrier, didn't understand the game yet.

Nor do I need the tongs to extract a fox but they wanted the fox and I gave the tongs to them, they got Fluwijn instead with the thing and I told them to go away and took the fox out myself with my hands.

The whole thing only lasted like 2 minutes before the fox was shot so not what some of you think.

I thought Fluwijn would come out shortly as she had done last year, but this time she didn't, but still I only put her into that earth when I was sure before that we could dig quickly, which we did, too.

So maybe I didn't explain it clearly.

I am not an amateur (in experience, not in receiving money or being able to live from this) and I have saved a dog of Erik when he didn't know too much about it yet, by telling him to dig in time.

But, then and now, Erik loves to dig, there's nothing wrong with that.

This was not in England but in another country on the continent, and as for me I would have had the fox shot instantly, anyway it got shot a few moments later when it was shown to another young terrier there present, and it became clear that the young Jagd terrier, didn't understand the game yet.

Nor do I need the tongs to extract a fox but they wanted the fox and I gave the tongs to them, they got Fluwijn instead with the thing and I told them to go away and took the fox out myself with my hands.

The whole thing only lasted like 2 minutes before the fox was shot so not what some of you think.

I thought Fluwijn would come out shortly as she had done last year, but this time she didn't, but still I only put her into that earth when I was sure before that we could dig quickly, which we did, too.

So maybe I didn't explain it clearly.

I am not an amateur (in experience, not in receiving money or being able to live from this) and I have saved a dog of Erik when he didn't know too much about it yet, by telling him to dig in time.

But, then and now, Erik loves to dig, there's nothing wrong with that.

dont think you understand the game either

Good post mate, good to hear digging posts from lads over seas, the laws abviously different over there so dont no why people are having a go at you, if thats how you do it over there crack on i personaly dont care. And alan626 why post such a stupid comment, make yourself sound like a cunting anti ffs.

• Like 1

Good post mate, good to hear digging posts from lads over seas, the laws abviously different over there so dont no why people are having a go at you, if thats how you do it over there crack on i personaly dont care. And alan626 why post such a stupid comment, make yourself sound like a cunting anti ffs.

its the likes of this stupid story that gives the antis a better hand he talking about how he bolted a fox then shot it but it still got away but managed to track it again sent in a terrier that gave it stick for 20 mins that came out so sent in a hard terrier that draged the fox around the den for an hour before they broke trough on top of the terrier, then he talks about trying to pull it out wit a set of tongs and that doesent work so lets a couple of young terriers have a go before the fox is killed. could he not just say had a dig today fox humainly dispatched and the pups had a rag,instead of telling every body of how in experenceed him and his mates are ,, im not looking for a row i think he could have worded it better

its the likes of this stupid story that gives the antis a better hand he talking about how he bolted a fox then shot it but it still got away but managed to track it again sent in a terrier that gave it stick for 20 mins that came out so sent in a hard terrier that draged the fox around the den for an hour before they broke trough on top of the terrier, then he talks about trying to pull it out wit a set of tongs and that doesent work so lets a couple of young terriers have a go before the fox is killed. could he not just say had a dig today fox humainly dispatched and the pups had a rag,instead of telling every body of how in experenceed him and his mates are ,, im not looking for a row i think he could have worded it better

I see where ya coming from, but if the laws different in his country why should he have to lie because of what people in britain might think, anyway not argueing about it. :thumbs:

Guest dee mac

what a joke if thats what peoples idea of hunting is then id nearly become an anti myself mods should step in and wipe this post clean .too be honest sounds like an anti has wrote it with every stupid thing they can think off thrown into the story its fcuking disgracefull.

I see where ya coming from, but if the laws different in his country why should he have to lie because of what people in britain might think, anyway not argueing about it. :thumbs:

ye i know wat ur saying mate but wit stories like that it wont be long before hunting foxes is ban in his country :thumbs:

ye i know wat ur saying mate but wit stories like that it wont be long before hunting foxes is ban in his country :thumbs:

as above the lad isneither writing in his own language nor is he subject to our laws (i dont think we can judge him by our standards)

i personally would not have let the young dog "have a second go" on a wounded fox (which will not bolt and fight hard) but hey, he knows the dog not me.the second dog i would have left to settle and get in controll of the job in hand (not telling you what you did "wrong" bud,jmho)

the use of tongues for fox and badger is more common overseas than here,and possibly more humane than man handling(while quicker).but in most countries it is allowed to "test a dog" only in a controlled enviroment (schlief anlage/ man made test earths in the presence of qualified people.

fly a german flag then stay on the right side of "waidgerecht" and all is good.

hope the dog recovers well and finds a new home.

waidmannsheil!!!