Which .243???

Just considering my options on a .243 and thought I would ask around.

I basically want a heavy varmint type barrel (Note: not a hammer forged barrel - only a button or drilled barrel :thumbs-up: ), that can be threaded for a moderator. The gun is going to be used for foxes, deer and range work.

So far my thinking has led me to a Savage 12FV, which has a free floating button barrel...but surely there are more options out there? :hmm:

Nothing wrong with a hammer forged barrel, steyr mannlicher have always done it this way, and so have most of the worlds gunmakers, remington etc, and they shoot just fine. The savage is a good rifle, so are remmy, s, tikka,s and sako, however, the last two are 1 in 10" twists, and struggle with 100 grain bullets.Whats your budget?

Nothing wrong with a hammer forged barrel, steyr mannlicher have always done it this way, and so have most of the worlds gunmakers, remington etc, and they shoot just fine. The savage is a good rifle, so are remmy, s, tikka,s and sako, however, the last two are 1 in 10" twists, and struggle with 100 grain bullets.Whats your budget?

To be honest I need better accuarcy than a hammer forged barrel can give - hence the slightly difficult request!

Not sure on budget yet, it's proving difficult to find anything other than the Savage to fit my requirements off the shelf!

If you need better accuracy than a hammer forged barrel can give.....you have only one option buddy, and it aint the savage. You will have to have an action , barrelled with a custom barrel. You used to be able to get the remmy pss in .243, but i dont think you can anymore, which is a pity, because its probarbly one of the most accurate factory guns there is.

• 3 months later...
If you need better accuracy than a hammer forged barrel can give.....you have only one option buddy, and it aint the savage. You will have to have an action , barrelled with a custom barrel. You used to be able to get the remmy pss in .243, but i dont think you can anymore, which is a pity, because its probarbly one of the most accurate factory guns there is.

WELL Oly, baldie is right with the 100grain, in a one in ten twist, but with a little reloading you can get good results with them, but for a shit hot round in .243 go for 95grain hornady sst, or nosler partion 95grain both are excellent, but the nosler only come in boxes of fifty which work out a bit on the expensive side. i can vouch for the tikka, as i have one, its a M595 s/s .243 1/10 twist and i can shoot 95grain sst's into half inch groups at 100yards. you simply wont get a better gun for so little money. the sako barrell's and tikka barrell's come of the same production line in the factory, so i'd say go for tikka try and get a m595, if you can, as there better built than the newer t3 even though its still a good gun. then spend what you saved and go all out on a good scope and mounts. i promise you, you wont be dissapointed. then for a fox round go for 58grain v-max which i can shoot 5 into one ragged hole at 100yards........ i shite you not B) thats my tupponce worth, let us know what you decide..............!!