ND3x50 Laser Designator

I'm thinking of investing in one of these for foxing. Has anyone got any experience of it?

I've tried a gun-mounted lamp, but it didn't work very well, and it looks like for the first time these things get you close to Gen iii night vision without splashing out thousands. The big benefit over night vision, is you can use it with good quality scope. The latest model is claiming target illumination up to 500yds.

Its about £330 in the UK.

http://www.lasergenetics.com/nd3x50-laser-designator.aspx

http://espanol.video.yahoo.com/watch/7626440/20246789

As I've said, no personal experience of it, and just wonder if anyone has had a go with this equipment - certainly looks good and getting widely used in the States.

Its got a cracking write-up in Gunmart for use with fox control.

Edited by fireblade_rrw

I'm thinking of investing in one of these for foxing. Has anyone got any experience of it?

I've got no personal experience but did see review in sporting shooter,give it alook.Alli would say is i'm sure the fox would detect the light so if lamped before would bolt,but i could be wrong!!!!

I've tried a gun-mounted lamp, but it didn't work very well, and it looks like for the first time these things get you close to Gen iii night vision without splashing out thousands. The big benefit over night vision, is you can use it with good quality scope. The latest model is claiming target illumination up to 500yds.

http://www.lasergenetics.com/nd3x50-laser-designator.aspx

http://espanol.video.yahoo.com/watch/7626440/20246789

As I've said, no personal experience of it, and just wonder if anyone has had a go with this equipment - certainly looks good and getting widely used in the States.

Thanks for that PC, but it doesn't say why?

The February edition of Gunmart has given it a really good write up for foxes. I should perhaps say, I shoot around 50-70 foxes a year, but I'm always looking for ways to improve the success rate! I've flirted with NV, but it looks like unless you spend bucket loads for Gen3, then it isn't effective. I'm looking for something that I can use between 100-200yds.

Could you to elaborate on why you think its a waste of cash? Have you used one?

Does the n1000ap do the same job?

Edited by fireblade_rrw

The February edition of Gunmart has given it a really good write up for foxes. I should perhaps say, I shoot around 50-70 foxes a year, but I'm always looking for ways to improve the success rate! I've flirted with NV, but it looks like unless you spend bucket loads for Gen3, then it isn't effective. I'm looking for something that I can use between 100-200yds.

The N1000ap is an infrared laser which is used in conjunction with night vision, the ND3x50 Laser Designator is a laser come torch which might do the job for a couple of weeks until the fox becomes shy, same as lamping, you have then lost £330. Its the same with lamping which can cost a couple of hundred pounds depending on which lamp, easiest way is to buy a gen 3 unit like an envis at a cost of around £1300 to £1600, if you decide you don't like it you will get your money back as these units do not go down in price.

The N1000ap is an infrared laser which is used in conjunction with night vision, the ND3x50 Laser Designator is a laser come torch which might do the job for a couple of weeks until the fox becomes shy, same as lamping, you have then lost £330. Its the same with lamping which can cost a couple of hundred pounds depending on which lamp, easiest way is to buy a gen 3 unit like an envis at a cost of around £1300 to £1600, if you decide you don't like it you will get your money back as these units do not go down in price.

Ok thanks got you - there's a big difference between 330 & 1300 quid though !

I'm trying to explore ways to lamp on my own, and using a Lightforce lamp clamped on to the scope, or holding it beside the scope is a pain. If its on the scope, you are forever adjusting the beam.

I'd thought with this ND3 thing, as its closer to the scope, it would stay on the scope centre easier. It certainly looks good in tests, and I'd hoped someone on here had perhaps tried one.

Edited by fireblade_rrw

Here is a small write

Registered User Join Date:Mar 2008

Posts:338when i was over in South Africa in september i went into a knife shop in sandton city mall. they had both the ND3 and the X50 at good prices around £200 so i bought an X50. we then went on our hunt for 10 days and had a very good oppurtunity to assess the unit.

in short it is utter snake oil, it is no different to using a lamp, but yet it costs twice as much as a very good quality lamp.

the greeen beam does not have magical qualities which render it invisible to animals, they see it straight away.

needless to say on returning to sandton i returned the unit for a full refund, and the shop owner simply said "this seems to be a recurring theme with these units"

as i said before, dont waste your money, and just get a decent lamp, or some real NV kit

Edited by pestcontrol121

Ok thanks got you - there's a big difference between 330 & 1300 quid though !

I'm trying to explore ways to lamp on my own, and using a Lightforce lamp clamped on to the scope, or holding it beside the scope is a pain. If its on the scope, you are forever adjusting the beam.

I'd thought with this ND3 thing, as its closer to the scope, it would stay on the scope centre easier. It certainly looks good in tests, and I'd hoped someone on here had perhaps tried one.

I hate to see fellow shooters wast money, its like any sport the companies are out to get as much money as poss out of YOU weather it works or not, if you want to get a touch get a cree torch, down side is it eats batteries good side you can get them for under £30 , claims from shooters is it goes out to 200 yards

Thanks PC, trying to be objective, here are a couple of posts from other forums that indicate the opposite: (Just trying to evaluate its merit, or otherwise)

It's been LONG time since I've posted on here, but figured I would give my input on a new product many have asked about. I purchased and ND3x50 a few weeks ago from midwayusa.com. Total price with shipping was $338 after a coupon for $30 off. The laser was in a very nice hard case with several adaptors to fit different set-ups. The laser itself looks pretty sturdy and well built. There is an o-ring which protects the batteries from moisture. Since I know lights tend to go through CR123 batteries really quickly, getting expensive very quickly, I decided to buy some rechargeables. Four batteries plus the wall/car charger ran $30, good long term investment.

I mounted the laser onto a nikon monarch 5-20x40 using the 1" scope mount with elevation/windage adjustment. Right away I noticed the elevation/windage mount was going to be the weak link of the setup. By no means is this mount rock solid, it holds it's zero fairly well but if you put too much pressure on the light the zero will change.

Now to the range/clarity part. Placing the laser on it's widest setting it was visible maybe 50 yrds out. I moved a target out to 100 yrds, narrowed the laser just a bit and could see the target no problem. Next tried 200yrds, narrowed the beam further target was still very visible with laser filling more than just the reticle on the scope. Last was a tree line 300yrds away, cranked the laser down just a bit more and was able to have target acquisition without any issues. I had no need to reduce the laser to it's smallest settings during testing for these ranges. I ran the scope from 5x all the way up to 20x without any problems in visibility. The cross hairs were easily visible without any internal illumination from an illuminated reticle.

Performance on game. First run out with the laser saw a boar hog, didn't seem to mind the light at all. Second trip out spotted 3 javelins about 50yrds out and decided to try the laser on different settings to judge response. I didn't have any response from the animal until the laser was moved to the narrower settings. At this point the javis would spook, but come right back out. The setting that allowed me to see 200-300yrds had no effect what so ever on the javis (didn't shoot any it's illegal to shoot game animals at night). Last animal was a coon I called in, reached about 10yrds from us before we saw it had the light on the whole time. The light didn't seem to bother the coon what so ever. When the animals had the light on them their eyes glowed an eery green, which also allowed for easy target acquisition.

Biggest downside I see to the laser is it did not work around 40 degrees. I knew this beforehand, so it was no surprise and used the hand warmers as per the instructions. If cold is a problem for you purchase the subzero model plain and simple. Second downside was the windage and elevation mount which as stated before is not rock solid. Other than these two problems the laser is simply amazing. It gives the user the feeling of generation 3 night vision at a fraction of the price.

Hope the review helps those of you on the fence about purchasing the light. I've used red lights in the past on top of my scope and was less than please with their performance. This laser blows the others clean out of the water.

I have some detailed info in another thread here. Use the search. It addressed the use of the device to shoot targets out to 600Y. That's all the distance I had.

But adding to that post, I have now used the ND3x50 out to 1026Y, having just come back from teaching a class. I didn't shoot at that distance, but in the dark we had guys on glass and it worked GREAT at that distance. Nobody had any issue at all to 1026Y with everyone plainly indicating that they could have engaged that target.

There were a pile of rocks up the mountain that lased out at 1762. We tightened the beam all the way up, and it reached that far. Definitely clear enough to shoot with. I shit you not. This thing will illuminate stuff more than a mile away. Enough to pick it up in the scope reticle.

Tried out the ND5 by laser genetics. We shot at 600 yards at a steel target and smoked it. Here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFBv5XhiYgw

Edited by fireblade_rrw

fireblade_rrw Two write ups both from aboard so i would not trust them as good info, you know what the fox is like when it comes to putting a light on them, not sure on javelin think is a pig of some sort could be wrong but its not a fox :whistling: seeing a target at 1762 yards hmmm if it was that good no one would buy NV or a lightforce lamp ,the write up i put up was from a trustworthy UK shooter who know whats good and whats not and at £300 + i know who i would believe

There's been a question or two about these units on here and other sites, and I did consider them, as I lamp alone and I wanted to reduce the weight I was carrying, but still be able to shoot out to at least 250 yards.

I went for a Tiablo A10G, in the end, and I'm very happy with it. I did add a deben scope mount (as the one that comes with it is a bit fiddly), and fitted my own rocker switch which I attach to the fore-end with elastic bands.

The beam is very tight, and I can positively identify foxes to well over 250 yards, and you don't notice any difference in weight when it's on the rifle, and it's small and neat, not snagging or catching on bushes etc when the rifles slung over my shoulder. Once it's aligned, I can attach it to the scope in total darkness and it's still centred. I spot with a Yukon ranger pro then switch to the tiablo to shoot (it's on my 243).

All in all I give it a definite thumbs up.

Thanks folks, its interesting stuff. Like Kenny14, I want to be able to lamp alone, without bursting the bank on expensive NV stuff, however I do take what PC has said onboard.

I'll continue to research this more, but it would be great to speak to someone thats used it. I did speak to the folk in Scott Country sports, and he told me he's sold 15 units in February, all pre-ordered, so some shooters must like them...

Whats clear is, it certainly has a powerful range, and if it illuminates as well as advertised then its certainly worth investigation. Its a helluva lot lighter and less bulky that a lamp.

Question to Kenny14: Do you find you need to adjust the lamp when the distance changes? That was my biggest grip in using the lamp attached to my scope.

I'll update here if I find out anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.lasergene...designator.aspx

http://espanol.video...626440/20246789

I found this forum topic here very useful when l researched the ND3 and decided against buying one after reading through all 18 pages!

One of the most common faults was the battery not operating in cool conditions and the companies answer was to wrap the unit up! So if the yanks were experiencing this imagine what it would be like in Britain's climate!

hope you find it useful cheers Callum

a reply from a guy who knows NV gear inside out.

They are an amazing

piece of shite.

I bought one and couldn't shoot anything due to my tears of laughter at it's complete an utter over hyped claims.

I sent it back to BSA optics as faulty and they returned it saying it was in perfect working order.

I have since written to BSA optics on 3 occasions requesting they arrange a demonstration of their claims of quarry identification at up to 250 yards. Unsurprisingly my request has fallen on deaf ears. I suspect it is due to the lack of fluorescent orange elephants in the country.

It looks like they would be better changing the name to 'Marmite'. It certainly seems to be one of those things people either love or hate.

All I can say was mine was the worst piece of shooting equipment I have ever bought.

A candle on a tin hat would have been as effective.

Says oit all IMO who wants to spend 300 quid on a dam torch you need to put a winter coat on or it wont work :blink: waste of time and money.

ATB

REDEYE