TRAMMEL VS TRAD LONGNET

mole catcher

This is turning into a good read,, haveing used both single/double stranded nets for many years (TRADDITIONAL) my personal choice of which kills better is the double stranded nets, not only do they hold the rabbits better but they handel great,, i even favour double stranded purse nets........ But lets not forget theres a lot of thought that has to be considered before setting about makeing or buying any net,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WEIGHT,,,,,TWINE TYPE,,,,,,and lets not forget MESH SIZE ,,,, iam sure in the near future we will be reading about the new TRAMMELS with double stranded inner mesh,,, :drink:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MESH SIZE;; does anyone think that as our ferreting season becomes littered with half grown rabbits through mild winters that we as professionals will turn to smaller mesh sized nets in order to catch those would be escapees? would people like myself who hunt the rabbit all year round under pest control change their methods to suit this changing world of the rabbit? would this only be a change for pesters rather than ( without wanting to sound rude) sport hunters doing the same but opting to except a few escapees?

sorry for all the questions but i have an enquiring mind :icon_redface:

MESH SIZE;; does anyone think that as our ferreting season becomes littered with half grown rabbits through mild winters that we as professionals will turn to smaller mesh sized nets in order to catch those would be escapees? would people like myself who hunt the rabbit all year round under pest control change their methods to suit this changing world of the rabbit? would this only be a change for pesters rather than ( without wanting to sound rude) sport hunters doing the same but opting to except a few escapees?

sorry for all the questions but i have an enquiring mind :icon_redface:

me too , so what is the best sized mesh for young rabbits and where can i get some ? i bin looking for a while and havn,t found any yet ,are they available in trammels :laugh:

Im now in the process of knitting a net with a mesh size of 3.7/8inch full mesh. its only going to be a stop net so i can give it a try out this spring, may have to drop the mesh size even smaller :blink:

if thats what its going to take to rid a customer of his problem rabbits then thats what it will have to be. Of course netting isnt the only option in most cases. :hunter:

Im now in the process of knitting a net with a mesh size of 3.7/8inch full mesh. its only going to be a stop net so i can give it a try out this spring, may have to drop the mesh size even smaller :blink:

if thats what its going to take to rid a customer of his problem rabbits then thats what it will have to be. Of course netting isnt the only option in most cases. :hunter:

Interesting point concerning mesh sizes, I have a black 4z net hand made by me... I mentioned this story in my night-time longnetting thread...the net was made originally at four and a quarter inches or thereabouts...I dyed the net black and it shrunk :icon_redface: by some considerable length, the mesh size ended up [and I,ve just measured it to double check] at pretty much the size you mention Molecatcher, just under four inches . The interesting point is...eventually...that I can still draw full grown winter rabbits through this smaller mesh...in fact this is how I remove a lot of my rabbits night-time. It depends on the rabbit not having much more than one or two meshes that it,s got it,s head through, it,s just a case of ease it through and then stroke the guts..oh err..through the mesh and out it pops, free the feet and you,re good to go...It,s much the same way say that someone might remove a salmon from a net :whistle: so I,m told!

Edited to stay within realms of thread.

Regards Mapreader

Edited by mapreader

WELL LADS ,

AS YOU SAY THE SIZE MOST NETS ARE MADE THESE DAYS ARE 4 1/2 " , THIS STRETCHED ON SPUN NYLON WOULD MAKE THE MESH NEARER TO 5 " , EVEN AT THIS SIZE ON SPUN IVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH A RABBIT ESCAPEING THROUGH A MESH ,

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING ;)

Now, in my quest for knowledge on netting has anyone ever used a net made from polyethylene. Its the kind of material that some forms of bird proofing is made from. Make it with a 4inc mesh, If you were to make up a short stop net from this hard wearing gear it would be possibly snag free, ideal for use as stop nets through hedges, dont you think? :hmm:

YES I SOMTIMES WONDERED IF IT WOULD WORK. AT THE PEST CONTROL COMPANY I USED TO WORK AT WE HAD TONES OF IT. I SHOULD HAVE BORROWED A BIT AND TESTED IT :)

if its anything like the knotless nets , BB was selling , it will be bloody awful to use, doesn,t it keep springing back together , for want of a better explanation

Ive just made a few rows of 4inch mesh with a small sample of polyethelene twine that i was kindly sent by netrigger some weeks ago. The stuff is bloodu awfull to work with but as it is only 1.1mm in holds its shape well enough to be of use as a stop/hedge net. As the stop nets would only be a few yrds long im considering fixing hazel pegs direct to them rather tham bothering with end pins. i will let you all know how i get on with them in the field.