TRAMMEL VS TRAD LONGNET

mole catcher

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right, the stuff is bloody awfull to work with and use in the field :( set it as a stop net last outing in direct sunlight and i swear you could see it withering and twisting out of shape. However, worked in close to hedges and bushes it doesnt get tangled. but sadly the cons outweight the pros :cry:

• 3 months later...
SIMPLE QUESTION; in your opinion which is the better ALL ROUND net to use?

THINGS TO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION WHEN ANSWERING.

1, ease of use both day and night

2,DONT COMPARE TRADSET AGAINST QUICKSET ( this debate has been done to death)

3, Please dont let this debate become an ego bashing thing, stay away from personal digs.

4, give personal experiances that have helped you to draw your own conclusions.

I have posted this question as a way of gathering a persons input and experiances of the netting game out of idol curiosity, this isnt intended to prove whos methods are better than the next mans. Please remember this when answering and not let it turn into a free for all against a members opinions.Also, can we leave any personal comments to ones self as this is only meant to be a lightharted questions and answers kind of thing. WHO KNOWS, we may all learn a thing or two.

molecatcher, horses for courses.Ihave used both trammel and standard longnets, but would say a standard longnet is a better all round net for night and daytime use. Trammel longnets drawbacks are they are heavier and more bulky than a standard,they pick up more debris and take longer to extract rabbits from.BUT if I am going to net a place at night where it is heaving with rabbits, I would rather use a trammel, as in between any section of the net between two poles it will hold more rabbits than a standard net. ALL nets have rabbits bounce off them. The reason for this in most cases is that the rabbit has struck the net on the meshes and not the hole of the mesh, For instance, if you held a piece of rabbit wire up in front of you closed you eyes and poked at it with your finger some times your finger would go through the mesh, sometimes your finger will stike the wire. I think the best mesh size for catching fully grown rabbits is 2 1/4" knot to knot. Nets catch rabbits better if they strike the net at speed. With a standad long net when several rabbits are entangled in one section of the net all the bagging ,which is the kill of the net, is taken out of it. With the trammel it would hold a least twice as many as the seven small mesh on the trammel are tied between every 9" big mesh. I,ve been longnetting for the last 45 yrs starting with traditional hemp and hazels glenn waters drag method. and now only use Fast set pre-set system for standard and trammel nets. If someboby can show me anything better I will be pleased to use it, as we are all on a big learning curve.

i must say masterhunters nets look the dogs bollox in fact we have the exact same basket , made it up our selvs . and i have to say its a great design , and an improvement on the brinded one :)

Good mesh size the 4 1/2" full mesh on tradditional nets provideing the material used suits the mesh size , what sizes are the inner netting you use on your trammel nets ? REGARDS.

netrigger, I do two inner mesh sizes on my trammels 1 3/4" and 2" knot to knot. regards

i must say masterhunters nets look the dogs bollox in fact we have the exact same basket , made it up our selvs . and i have to say its a great design , and an improvement on the brinded one :)

Glad you think my net system is the dogs whatsits, hope you catch plenty of rabbits. Dare you mention that horrible word (BB) ????