TRAMMEL VS TRAD LONGNET

mole catcher

Damage by rabbits is a thing to expect with long netting, so a quick and easy removal is important to stop damage. Is this why it is adviserble to kill all enmeshed rabbits before trying to remove them?

I like to kill all the rabbits before removing them, as you say to minimize damage to the net's.

on occasions i have even used a little LED light which straps onto the head to help remove bunny's, and even with the aid of the light you get some that are a challenge, perhaps bust a bush, thus acting like a trammel.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this thread is interesting to say the least, i currently have a 75yrd quickset system (thanks rabbithunter) which ive started using, im thinking of getting another quickset for nightwork and did consider a tramell but i now think it might be a bit too much hassel for that so im not sure

What do you professional netters think?

I thought with all the people on here that use long nets there would have been more post regarding the trad rigged long net. In my work i use both trad set and quick set nets and i find them to work both smoothly and do as they are intended (to catch rabbits) I have worked these both on my own and as part of a team and found it is normally the netters that are at fault not the method, by this i mean to much noise, sky lining themselves, approaching the drop in the wrong direction ect.....

I have also used the trammel and i must say as ive stated before that this net seems to be in my opinion more hassle than its worth, the cons outweigh the pros. Let me try and back this statement up by the following

1, The trammel is better suited to being used with a basket set up, ie quick set as when it is rigged on pins it becomes a little hard to handle smothly. with the trad rigged net it can be used trad style or with a basket quick set style.

2,As has been stated,with all styles of long net it is adviserble to dispatch rabbits whlst in the net and remove after the end of a set. Of course with ferreting this will be done to each rabbit as it hits the net. as we know from those that have used the trammel, removall can take a bit of time with the trammel, more so than the trad rigged net. this could result in lost rabbits due to the extra time spent on each rabbit.

3, time spent on the upkeep of a net can be more so with the trammel as there is in effect 3nets in one to look after and repair.

4, we alll know that working long nets on rough ground can be a pain, try this near a hedgerow or even set as a stop net this can only become more of a problem with the trammel. I know this through bitter experiance. time spent cleaning a net between sets is greatly increased with the trammel

5, because of the trammels extra holding abillities,it seems to be the net to use when a need for a no escapees aproach is called for.

6, because of ease of use a trad rigged net is better to use at night.( look at the posts regarding removal ect..)

these are only a few of what are in my opinion the points that seperate the trammel from the trad rigged net. These opinions are drawn by years of experiance of using them both day and night, both trad set and quick set method. I have used the trammel on many ocaisions so i feel i have some right to list what i see as valid points about this net. I have even made them as well as the trad long net, so again i feel i have a valid understanding of how they are used and maintained. Again these are only my personal opinions on both style of net .

As the question at the start was "" which is the better ALL ROUNDER TO USE"" there seems to me, by what people have said, both good and bad about both methods, more plus points in favour of the trad rigged nets.

Of course, if you dissegree with this statement please feel free to tell me why.

6z or 4z ? hazel poles or fibre poles ? nylon or hemp or spun nylon ?setting height ? the list goes on .

i just wish , A TRUE NETTER would help us all out here ,some input from one that is UP THERE WITH THE BEST would be a great help to the average netter like myself,tell us why we don,t need trammels , just point us in the right direction or are we not worthy , i will be waiting with baited breath , ...well actually i won,t cos i,m off out rabbiting tonite

why not put up something positive instead of hurling pathetic schoolboy insults

Wells it seems you are doing a good job of that yourself just now,

I personally have never used a trammel net, i ve never felt the need to either at night or day, its bad enough when you get a couple of twigs or bit of bramble in 1 net, let alone trying to get it out of 3 at the same time, weight would also be an issue for me as you would be lugging 3 times the weight for the same length of net and as i have a fair walk to most of the places i would not be too keen on that, and for me personally well if one or 2 get away because i cant get there quick enough they will be there for another day.

Regards

Nathan

As the question at the start was "" which is the better ALL ROUNDER TO USE"" there seems to me, by what people have said, both good and bad about both methods, more plus points in favour of the trad rigged nets.

back to your original question then MC.

Based on personal experience i cannot give an un-biased answer due to the fact that i have never used a trammel.

i wont care to even try a trammel, due to the increased kill time, extra weight, more net to repair etc.... I deem it un-neccesary for my needs to use a trammel net for rabbits.

Just got back from ferreting, funny enough i used both trammel and trad rigged long nets. Both caught rabbits, both had bounce offs. The trammel was rigged in quick sett fashion, the trad rigged net was on end pins.

The place we were working is a field of set a side, mostly old nettle storks and those horrid little buggers that have just started to grow, My fingers are tingling as i type. When it came to lifting the nets i took the trad set net and my ferreting partner (who hassome 30yrs experiance netting and ferreting) took the trammel. what with all the storks and the fact he had to remove, as well as the bits of twig that were holding down the bottom line had him swearing some what. Ok, i to had rubbish to remove but i had the disadvantage that i didnt have my nets stowed in a basket, i only real had a single hand to remove the rubbish as the other held the net and end pin. If you had seen the state he was in as i finished and set about lifting purse nets you would have laughed. he was red faced,blowing and swearing just a bit. His parting shot was a terse "" you can leave that fecking thing at home tomorow, i aint using ever again"".....

funny how a first impresion sticks.

MOLEY: without wanting to sound to condersending perhaps you would like to expand on the types of matieral that suit differant types of net? i for one would find it interesting to hear your experiancies on such matters. again this is not ment as a dig or bait for a rise, i am genuinely interested.

Hi Molecatcher, I saw your call to arms regarding more posts from people who use nets...I refrained from posting purely because I have no experience of trammels other than seeing one used briefly at the start of this season...pretty much any concerns that I would have , have been covered. just to recap the two issues that would be paramount for night work are ease of rabbit removal and speed of cleaning the net ready for the next drop. Moley made the point that speed is of the essence. Much of the ground that I work has both gorse and fern, dead gorse being an absolute mare to remove both from nets and then later from fingers. But dead fern is awful stuff too...especially in 4z....love the way it just keeps breaking up and reducing in size! Bad enough in one wall of mesh let alone two or three!!!

Regarding traditional style long nets, as some of you know, I use pre-sets for all my night work and most of my day stuff too. My son made a hemp long net and we have that rigged trad style, may even get that out one night for old times sake but....it,s drying the bloody thing!

On setting trad style nets on night-time outings I have mentioned a couple of times that I personally don,t like back-pegging a net.. I mentioned in one post a while ago, in some detail why, mainly walking up and down the net several times [fine for daytime ferreting etc for obvious reasons]. Rabbits in my area won,t stand for it. I also notice in an earlier post that Rabbithunter was struggling in side winds or end sets, call them what you will. Several points raise there heads here for me and scream inexperience.

Firstly why on earth are you back pegging an end set or side wind. Very few winds blow consistently in one direction, in my experience they can swing to a large degree and whilst you,re up and down pegging it,s highly likely that you will get blown onto the field at some point. It happens to us all at times that,s why studying the wind directions becomes an art in itself. And that,s also why your method ie, back pegging is flawed, it is not VERSATILE. You limit yourself to browie sets, blind sets and combinations of these which is all well and good but as soon as you find rabbits on say a flat field with close feeders...guess who,s out the game?

There are three ways to get around this problem to my mind. Firstly get yerself a mate who pegs as you run or vice-versa, secondly as I once mentioned before LEARN TO PEG AS YOU GO, but as you replied to me once before,,,it, difficult or hard on your hands or something along those lines, well gee wizz, guess what, practice and then practice some more! Third option PACK IT IN!!

Back -pegging WILL catch you rabbits but it,s more for the casual netter I would contend, you have already become aware of it,s limitations it,s up to you to decide to step up a gear or stay as you are.This is not an anti-Rabbithunter post just trying to point out what seems to me to be rather obvious which sort of brings me full circle...inexperience. As something of an olive branch Rh, if you,re still adamant that you are sticking with back-pegging, allow me to help you set a side wind.

Start point is downwind, walk upwind keep as low as possible [should be doing that anyway] assuming net has been put back on end pins properly you shouldn,t get net blowing along lines too much at this point. Now to start pegging, FROM UPWIND WORKING DOWNWIND. first peg in, and lift top line, net now starts to blow along lines...guess what cuts in now EXPERIENCE you should know roughly how much net per,say, five yard section is required pull that amount of mesh and trap between leg and arm and put in peg, one hitch on the bottom two on top, carry on downwind till net is "fishing". Not always pleasant to do but there it is.

Sorry to bang on...and on...must really learn to shorten posts!!!

Regards. Mapreader

PHEW!!!!! im out of breath :laugh:

wise words non the less. So, with more of peoples working grounds being over rough stubble kind of ground, this is where both nets become tangled with rubbish but the trad rigged net is easy to clean ( more so than the trammel) This brings me back to the point of the question, which is the better all round net to use?

How in netters eyes does the way in which we can use either nets have much credence to a nets usefullness? if so how do we way up the pros and cons?

Off out shooting rabbits tonight Moley? i heard you are up there with the best when it comes to the shooting game...

too f*****g true matey , 25 rabbits ,1hare, 1rat for 31 shots ,all head shots ,exept the rat, up there with the best, want to know owt about rimmy shooting , i,m your man B)

MOLEY: without wanting to sound to condersending perhaps you would like to expand on the types of matieral that suit differant types of net? i for one would find it interesting to hear your experiancies on such matters. again this is not ment as a dig or bait for a rise, i am genuinely interested.

well i,m not into materials , i just use the bloody things,but here goes

for daylight : in hedges and woodland i use hemp cos it don,t pick up the shite a nylon net will, for open land i have bin using 4z trammels, but will give these heavier trammels a go soon, if i,m doing a big place or length of hedge,on my own, i set trammels out and parallel to the hedge, then section it off with 5 yd hemp nets ,i have a pal making me 100yds of hemp netting , for working big sets in woodland

for night work : i use a 200 yd ordinary 6z net

all my nets are fixed poles and all out of baskets, these suite me , its how i like to work , i may be wrong to some , but i don,t really give a shit , cos they are not there with me and i have nothing to prove , what i don,t like is being called a bullshitter by netrigger , who doesn,t know me at all and has yet to tell us all how he goes about the netting job and what nets/setups he uses,unless its some closely guarded secret , only available to members of the UP THERE WITH THE BEST club

nathan , if you bother to look at a trammel , you will see that there are two bigger meshed nets either side of the middle smaller meshed net , bigger meshes mean less twine , so how can a trammel be 3 times the weight ?, and if you cannot manage a couple of extra pounds in a net , how will you manage to carry the rabbits home that you catch ,you should get yourself a tin of spinach and i have found most rabbits chew thru the running lines not the nets themselves, why this is i don,t know, i cannot think i have had a net or running line chewed in daylight ,

Bigger meshes and heavier,, you will find that commercialy produced trammels have there outer walls made from a heavier gage of twine,,, also to get the pocket effect the trammel net is supposed to have , the inner net will be somewhat deeper than a tradditional net,, again adding extra weight to the trammel....Sorry for calling you a BULLSHITTER MOLEY :cry: