TRAMMEL VS TRAD LONGNET

mole catcher

very true,no customer wants to see rabbits escape.....

so on what has just been said a trammel is a good daytime net but lacking in certain respects at night. what about the trad net at night? after all the question was about the better,not best all rounder. what are your views on the trad net at night?

POINT OF QUESTION: if the trad net is lacking in its holding abillities how do we think it could be improved upon WITHOUT THE AID OF THE EXTRA 9INCH MESH?

would a larger or smaller mesh size be worth a go?

what about more bagging?

what about the setting height?

would any of the above make any differance?

i use fixed pole ordinary 6z nets from a basket at night ,purely and simply cos its quick and easy to setup/take in and rabbits in trammels take too much time to extract at night ,yes i know there are going to be escapees , but you got to weight that against the time factor , you can have the net in and back up in a different location by the time you got the rabbits out of a trammel,daytime and nighttime netting are totally different ballgame, at the end of the day (or night )the idea is to catch rabbits as quickly and easily as pos with a minimum of fuss, just to throw a proper spanner in the works, i also have 5yd hemp hedge nets cos they don,t pick up the shite a nylon net does. but don,t catch as well as a nylon, its all about weighting up the pros and cons about each type of net and each situation and using what suites the individual netter

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;):D:laugh::laugh: Well,.this is all getting a mite 'serious' for me...

I generaly get a good skillful NetRigger to make me up some long nets.... ;)

However,..I would have to agree with Moley regarding his idea of using Trammels...

I don't kill rabbits 'in quantity' these days...I am strickly a profit hunter ,.and there is NO FECKING vonga in dead rabbits... :cry: The real money is in getting paid to remove the conies. ;)

I have abandoned my own Trammel,.because it was a PAIN in the butt :laugh::laugh:

Personaly I believe that it had been 'rigged' all wrong and never worked as it should of done?

The man that provided us with it ,..is not a genuine rabbiting man,..he had no idea as to the job in hand...

Anyway, thats as may be,..My REASON for using such a 'clingy item ' is due to the fact that when trying to take out a single cony dwelling beneath a shed or garden building, it is ESSENTIAL that the fecker does not get away. If it is seen next morning feeding on the lawn in front of the kitchen window,... :cry::cry:

The job is OFF :o I now use a nice baggy 4z jobee ,..just to make sure..... :laugh::laugh:

Each to his own....

Yorkshire2005249.jpg

this new net has a good lot more bagging than the net behind you in the picture chalkie, i think that i why when i have read about others using trammels and having no escapees , i found it a bit hard to believe,cos your net and my old trammels were made by the same man, it still doesn,t owe me anything , its certainly paid for itself over the last coulple of years, i,m gonna give this new net a proper workout in the next few months

BULL SHITE,,buy fuk Moley you talk total pish... stick to the moletrapping..JOKER.......nothing personal hear but stick to your trammel nets,,, Daylite Netter,,,wire in mate,, not my kettle of fish,,,,........... KIND REGARDS .........A TRUE NETTER.........

ok ,...so we now know that a correct set trammel will catch, never doubted it wouldnt.

this post was about what we as netters feel is the best all round type of long net. we have heard a few of the up sides regarding the trammel in a daytime set, now im going to be the devils advicate and say this....

IMHO what you have in a trammel re: night work is a real bundle of trouble waiting to happen. Regardless to it being rigged trad set or quick set lets look at this.....

It has all ready been stated that a trammel ties up a rabbit to the poiint where it allmost becomes a pain to remove, this is also the case with a trad rigged net but to a lesser degree. bad enough during daylight, allmost impossible in darkness.

seeing as no one has answered about a trammel on end pins i will draw this point on my own experiance of it.....There are 3 different nets rigged on one top and bottom line, all 3 are under differant tension and all hang at differant lenghts from the end pin resulting in a net that is a little ungainly to handle at best. now look at setting in a trad style in darkness single handed :hmm: try it and se what happens, a fecking big birds nest on the floor. No probs doing this with a trad rigged net.

what do you other netters feel about the trad rigged net for night work (forget for one moment about trad set or quick set)?

:) Arguably,...the finest long net in the entire world... :D:laugh::laugh:

OLDSARUMDecember2006041.jpg

almost as good as mine :p

90fcc934-1.jpg

just kidding. netrigger knows his nets & netmaking. And thanks to him i learned to add on the selvedge meshes.

Im, just waiting to get my van back from the mechanic to get my hazel pegs, then i will get that net out into the field and get the bagging sorted out ;)

this new net has a good lot more bagging than the net behind you in the picture chalkie, i think that i why when i have read about others using trammels and having no escapees ,

this point about a trammel having more bag helps caputre rabbits :hmm: when you look at how a trammel works this is a bit hard to agree with. just by the way in which a trammel will purse a rabbit within a single mesh, and holds it tight how will the lose bagging be able to slid along the running lines? as the trapped rabbit will hold it back within the confines of the 9inch mesh

Good points raised :clapper:

I've used hemp trammels back in the 60's and 70's,..I got them from S.Young and Sons of Misterton..

They were good things,..they tangled well,.but SEEMED easier to handle when removing the rabbits, as opposed to the nylon jobs. We only used the Trammel with a 'Drop Net' system. When it was pulled and dropped,..we ran like feck to get the rabbits out... :laugh::laugh: But for night work...well,.I still favour the traditional 'end pin' and hazel wands style of long netting. Mind you,..99% of the lads I know like to use the basket and fixed pole method. Its quick and easy. I must be an awkward fecker coz I don't like the basket.

My team has got 8 or 9 sets of baskets and nets,...I've tried my best but I just cannot take to em... :blink:

Whatever,...I firmly believe that there is going to be a resurgance in night netting in the next few years.

All the best to ALL crosses,...kind regards,.CHALKWARREN...

Edited by CHALKWARREN

TRAMMEL NETS!!!!! fuk iam just a novice!!!! please teach me the wrights and wrongs regarding nets.... I DO NOT CLASS MYSELF PREMIERE LEAGE LIKE,,,, BUT I RECKON IAM UP THERE WITH BEST,,,,OH and by the way you lads that use the TRAMMEL set up,,keep us novices posted..........we live and learn each day.........

KIND REGARDS.........

so we have sang about the good qualities of the trammel, now lets look at some of the good points of the trad rigged net. see if i can get the ball rolling.

if the net were used in a trad style(not a basket system) with hazle pegs i fell it offers a degree of quietness for night time work, be it single handed or as a team of two. As with both types of net bounce offs WILL AND DO happen, dont think you will stop them. when a capture is made removal of a rabbit is lot less messing about than a trammel IMHO.

what about the making and rigging of a trad net? the simplicity of its design has to be a bonus for both novice and experianced netters alike? take a look at a 50yrd net on end pins, look and see how small it can be, as weve been told a trammel on end pins is for the brave or foolhardy, thus this makes the trad net easy to stow and carry as a basket isnt requiered( again im not comparing trad set to quick set but trammel to trad rigged).

so all you netters that use trad rigged long nets lets hear your opinions on this type of long net.

I use longnets at night in the traditional end pins & hazel method. The reason i see this a suitable method is due to the fact i can fit 150-200 yards of netting in a relatively small space, ie; shoulder bag.

The pegs are then easily transported in a "peg pocket"

using the shoulder bag i can easily crawl through small gaps in hedges to get to drop's. Something which is quite a challenge with the fixed pole & basket method.

Working with a 4z or 6z net, a 50 or 75 yard net is relatively easy to handle on the end pins, i dont usually a net longer than 75 yard due to the weight, although not heavy as such, but a strain on your wrist.

Working on a direct wind, on a "clean" set i can run all the netting out then back-peg. Working with a ide wind this isn't practicable as the bagging will be blown down the lines.

I like to add a "tail" at the ends of the nets so if a rabbit runs the net, it will get caught in the end tails.

regarding trammel nets on a traditiona rig, well i am not a user of trammels, never will be. But i could imagine it will be quite a challenge to use off end pins, i imagine the added weight even on a 50 yard net will be quite the handful, but i assume this is why most lads use trammels on the fixed pole system?

Edited by Rabbithunter
TRAMMEL NETS!!!!! fuk iam just a novice!!!! please teach me the wrights and wrongs regarding nets.... I DO NOT CLASS MYSELF PREMIERE LEAGE LIKE,,,, BUT I RECKON IAM UP THERE WITH BEST,,,,OH and by the way you lads that use the TRAMMEL set up,,keep us novices posted..........we live and learn each day.........

KIND REGARDS.........

your getting very agressive, netrigger , :drink::drink: if you don,t like trammels , thats fine , but dont call me a BULLSHITTER just cos i use them and you don,t ,you may well be "up there with the best" but we are still waiting to hear what "the best "have to say, why not put up something positive instead of hurling pathetic schoolboy insults

sorry this reply is a bit late in the day i like to have my rabbits removed quickly from the net is due to the amount of damage the net recieves with rabbits chewing there way free

Damage by rabbits is a thing to expect with long netting, so a quick and easy removal is important to stop damage. Is this why it is adviserble to kill all enmeshed rabbits befor trying to remove them?

Most of the land i work with nets is up and down to say the least, so in my method of working with a trad rigged net it often pays to leave the bottom line slack to hug the contours of the ground so to speak. As most if not all the trammels ive seen are quick set rigged i dont think this would be posible as the need to keep a tight top line is important.

Speaking of a rabbit chewing through a net, would it not be seen as an advantage to have only one net to repair, after all a rabbit can chew its way through a net in no time at all, be it a trammel or trad rigged?