TRAMMEL VS TRAD LONGNET

mole catcher

SIMPLE QUESTION; in your opinion which is the better ALL ROUND net to use?

THINGS TO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION WHEN ANSWERING.

1, ease of use both day and night

2,DONT COMPARE TRADSET AGAINST QUICKSET ( this debate has been done to death)

3, Please dont let this debate become an ego bashing thing, stay away from personal digs.

4, give personal experiances that have helped you to draw your own conclusions.

I have posted this question as a way of gathering a persons input and experiances of the netting game out of idol curiosity, this isnt intended to prove whos methods are better than the next mans. Please remember this when answering and not let it turn into a free for all against a members opinions.Also, can we leave any personal comments to ones self as this is only meant to be a lightharted questions and answers kind of thing. WHO KNOWS, we may all learn a thing or two.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mole catcher, in my opinion and i stress my opinion i think the standard longnet (quickset or traditional whatever you guys prefer) is a more suitable all round piece of kit.

With the sufficient bagging & mesh size for the job in question, and a suitable experience of using longnets a standard longnet should suffice in any situation, in my opinion

IMO

Mole catcher, in my opinion and i stress my opinion i think the standard longnet (quickset or traditional whatever you guys prefer) is a more suitable all round piece of kit.

With the sufficient bagging & mesh size for the job in question, and a suitable experience of using longnets a standard longnet should suffice in any situation, in my opinion

IMO

please explain why?

IMO

please explain why?

this is why the question will never work , rabbithunter has never used a trammel , therefore cannot compare one to the other, yes he has an opinion and he,s entitled to air it , but how can he compare one to the other when he has only used one method, its like me telling you that a ferrari is better than a bus , i have never owned a bus B):)

maybe i should of worded that a bit differently.

I would prefer to use the standard net as i can see that whilst working under the cover of darkness that a trammel net could be quite awkward to kill. Also the two side walls on a trammel are adding weight onto the net.

maybe i should of worded that a bit differently.

I would prefer to use the standard net as i can see that whilst working under the cover of darkness that a trammel net could be quite awkward to kill. Also the two side walls on a trammel are adding weight onto the net.

but again without having used a trammel , how can you compare ?how can you prefer one method against the other when you have only used one method, it don,t make sense

and the weight issue is not a problem if you eat your porridge, some people prefer hazel against fibre poles ,and there is a big weight difference in that , some use 4z ,some 6z , i don,t have two end pins to carry , but i do have everything in a basket, easier or not ?i wouldn,t even consider using a trammel at night , i have ordinary fixed pole nets for that job, just watch some of the day and night netting sequences in the dvd,s that are available, you can see that some rabbits hit a net a good few times before they are caught up, does this mean that the nets are not working , i think you will find it happens quite alot.

with this answer we now have to think about the weight of a net, is it a big thing that a net weighs a few oz more? you say more awkward to kill, if this is so would it not be adviserbly to carry a small priest like samon fishermen?

keeping with this vein of thought what about the ease of removing a rabbit from either net, would that be something to consider befor using a net? is speed of removal important to you,if so why?

MOLEY; ok maybe some havnt used trammel nets but i know you do, how about letting us here some of your views on some of the questions that have been brought up thus far? this is why i put this question up, to get us talking about a single method in detail so we can all share each others experiances. its right what you said about rabbits bouncing off both types, just a part of the game?

NETMAN; so ease of removal of rabbits is important to you, is this because you see speed is of the essance or just you cant see the point of making something harder than it needs to be?

Edited by mole catcher
For those, like myself, who dont know what a trammel net is could some one explain? :victory:

a trammel net is the same as a long net but it has a 9inch mesh net on both sides aswell. when a rabbit enters the net it takes the 4.25 mesh net through a large mesh and forms a small pouch, much like a purse net.

For those, like myself, who dont know what a trammel net is could some one explain? :victory:

a trammel net is the same as a long net but it has a 9inch mesh net on both sides aswell. when a rabbit enters the net it takes the 4.25 mesh net through a large mesh and forms a small pouch, much like a purse net.

Interesting, :hmm:

anyone got any pictures? sounds like it would be a right sod to set up but in theory effective.

TRAMMELS (tri mesh).... this type of net is highly regarded in the fishing industry!!!! have i used them!!! yip !! for fish mainly,,,, rabbits,,, well they have there use i suppose in a small scale,,, but for the seriouse night time netter who maybe setting up to say 250 yards per drop they are a no no,,,,, i like to move between sets as quickly as possible,,,, a Trammel net (useing the above yardage) would just hold me back...

SO,.....at this point of the debate we have a few factors being brought to our attention.

weight..

speed of setting, lifting

ease of removal

rabbit bounce offs

what about the skill needed to set a trammel, would this be a good net to start a netting career with or would you advise a season on the trad (quick set as well as trad set) long net?

POINT OF QUESTION: would it be unwise to use a trammel in a traditional way with end pins or would it be advisable to use with the quick set method?

for every question answered, 2 more arise ...... :hmm:

TRAMMELS (tri mesh).... this type of net is highly regarded in the fishing industry!!!! have i used them!!! yip !! for fish mainly,,,, rabbits,,, well they have there use i suppose in a small scale,,, but for the seriouse night time netter who maybe setting up to say 250 yards per drop they are a no no,,,,, i like to move between sets as quickly as possible,,,, a Trammel net (useing the above yardage) would just hold me back...

i couldn,t agree more netrigger , but like i said ,I DON,T USE TRAMMELS AT NIGHT,

so its pretty much agreed that trammels snag up a rabbit better than ordinary nets, and the reason for not using at night is cos its a pain to extract a rabbits at night, then does this not mean that the net is doing the job it is intended for , catching and holding rabbits and is it better to use in daylight because of its better holding capabilities,i

over the last couple of years i have bin contracted to kill rabbits on a moor, i was given an initial 2 months to control the rabbits in a certain gill, i have bin told since it was to try me out , to see if i could do what i said i could, i was also being watched from a distance by the keeper and the estate manager, fair enuff , they had to see i was working and not just sitting on my fat arse in the sun,as well as snaring and trapping , i was ferreting area,s with dog and longnets (trammels)i cannot remember more than a couple of rabbits bouncing back out of the nets and getting away, had i bin using ordinary nets i reckon i would have had a good deal more escape, i cannot imagine the manager or keeper being very impressed watching rabbits bounce of nets that should have held them, because of what they saw ,i am now contracted to go to different parts of the estate when required ,i also can now go where and when i like on most of the moor and put an invoice in when i,m ready,no land owner or paying customers want to see rabbits escape

very true,no customer wants to see rabbits escape.....

so on what has just been said a trammel is a good daytime net but lacking in certain respects at night. what about the trad net at night? after all the question was about the better,not best all rounder. what are your views on the trad net at night?

POINT OF QUESTION: if the trad net is lacking in its holding abillities how do we think it could be improved upon WITHOUT THE AID OF THE EXTRA 9INCH MESH?

would a larger or smaller mesh size be worth a go?

what about more bagging?

what about the setting height?

would any of the above make any differance?