The law on domestic and feral cats in your garden.

I have a cat that keeps coming in my garden and I told the owner to stop the cat coming in my garden as I have birds on the lawn. The owner said that he could not stop his cat going into my garden. I said that I could not tolerate a cat in my garden. When I asked the police to help I was told it was nothing to do with them unless I harmed the cat even if I was protecting my birds. I said if my dog went into the person's garden and killed the cat I would be liable for an out of control dog yet if a cat comes into my garden I cannot react to protect my birds.

I have had to net the whole of my garden to protect my birds from a cat that the owners just lets out all night.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and what was the outcome?

Pease no comments on hurting cats as the Authorities read this Forum, I want to know people's experiences and to act lawfully.

http://falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=104236&page=9

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For someone with a law degree,I find it hard to believe you didn't know it is a criminal offence to kill, shoot, injure, trap or poison a cat.However this being one of your better posts I will suggest

i also here harris hawks like a bit of cat as well

Dont think most people dislike cats.Its the owners we hate.Who wont take responseibilty for them.They seem to think they are above the law.:wankerzo4:

Posted Images

I had heard of a cat straying into a garden,albeit fully fenced and secure,but unfortunatley for the cat, it was killed by a patterdale and a lakeland terrier who lived at the house and just happened to be in the garden :whistling:

The police were called by the cats owner and the outcome was, cats chase and kill mice, dogs chase cats, theres nothing we can do as,the dog was in its own securely fenced garden, it was the cats owner that was at fault,in allowing the cat to stray.

GET A DOG :thumbs:

I had heard of a cat straying into a garden,albeit fully fenced and secure,but unfortunatley for the cat, it was killed by a patterdale and a lakeland terrier who lived at the house and just happened to be in the garden :whistling:

The police were called by the cats owner and the outcome was, cats chase and kill mice, dogs chase cats, theres nothing we can do as,the dog was in its own securely fenced garden, it was the cats owner that was at fault,in allowing the cat to stray.

GET A DOG :thumbs:

Good point, this is the sort of information we need.

if your garden is reasonably securely fenced just a thought this might deter the cats from coming in http://www.bird-x.com/bird-and-pigeon-spikes-needle-strips-polycarbonate-p-37.html

if not a cage trap and a drive up to a distant rescue centre might be in order :whistling:

It looks heavy duty but the problem I have is my garden is now cat proof but it also means that my dogs cannot go into the garden to do their thing and condition the birds to seeing them.

' timestamp='1298132827' post='1936537']

Catch it in a cage.then keep handing it in to the cat and dog home as a stray.Sure the owners will soon get fed up having to pay to get it back.:yes:

That would be an idea if it is legal.

What if you got a bigger bird in the garden............... :whistling:

Catch it in a cage.then keep handing it in to the cat and dog home as a stray.Sure the owners will soon get fed up having to pay to get it back.:yes:

Just found that out mate.Also found this

Cat fouling and stray cats

What does the law say about cat fouling?

There are no laws regarding cats and fouling. A cat holds a unique position in law in that the owner of the cat is not held to be responsible for the consequences of any trespass by the cat. It is an offence to put down poison or set snares for a cat.

If i where you mate i would hassle the council constantly.:thumbs:

For someone with a law degree,I find it hard to believe you didn't know it is a criminal offence to kill, shoot, injure, trap or poison a cat.However this being one of your better posts I will suggest an electric fence or I have heard a Super Soaker can be quite effective. :thumbs:

• Like 1

What if you got a bigger bird in the garden............... :whistling:

I thought about an eagle owl or a nice bird in high heels with fish net stockings on, that would frighten off any cat and it could do the dishes.

For someone with a law degree,I find it hard to believe you didn't know it is a criminal offence to kill, shoot, injure, trap or poison a cat.However this being one of your better posts I will suggest an electric fence or I have heard a Super Soaker can be quite effective. :thumbs:

Actually for you that is a good idea, keep on the medication it is working.

Just found that out mate.Also found this

Cat fouling and stray cats

What does the law say about cat fouling?

There are no laws regarding cats and fouling. A cat holds a unique position in law in that the owner of the cat is not held to be responsible for the consequences of any trespass by the cat. It is an offence to put down poison or set snares for a cat.

If i where you mate i would hassle the council constantly.:thumbs:

Best Idea yet.