Clear up the place?

I know I'm a newbie on THL, so my opinion probably won't count for much. I'm a Mod the BSAOG (some of you may know me, if you do hello, and if you don't, nice to meet you :victory: )

I agree every site should have a "regulation" of the classified sections, on the BSAOG we have recently bought in a "30 post" system, and to a certain extent, it does work. But I'm all for using a system whereby a 3rd party is involved in a deal, sending the money and product to the trusted established 3rd party, whomb can check over the goods, and then send the money and product in their respected directoins. This is of course if the seller and buyer aggree to the usage of the 3rd party. :notworthy:

I know I have very few posts, and I only post when I think I can help out, I fail to see how the posting of " trivial banter" benefits any site, it just clutters up the site making it more difficult for those you use it for information. Every system has it's flaws, i mean would you join a site that was filled with useless info? I certainly wouldn't :blink:

The "trusted list" is a very good idea, even people who are on different sites could be added to it, after all we're all shooting/hunting enthusiasts, it's hardly in the spirit of things to go around ripping other people off! :censored:

Phil :bye:

I agree with you to a point there, Phil, there was a scam on only last night where some chancer was trying to 'swap' a Rapid 7 for X Box kit and whoever it was was clued up enough to be able to delete negative replys, so the site's been hacked to a certain extent :blink:

30 post minimum?? Maybe but then there'll be loads of :thumbs: and :laugh: and :feck: replys to boost the member's post count...

A 'trusted member' sounds like a good idea to me, not sure how it'd work but I think I get the idea.... :thumbs:

Armchair experts.... Hmmmm, any public forum will always get the odd numpty who posts rubbish bassed on little or no experience, there's been one on here lately who's advice could've got members into trouble with the law and also hurt. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.....

'Trivial banter' as you put it..... Not sure exactly what you mean by that but to me, banter (when good natured...) helps to make this place what it is, a bit of a giggle between members to help lighten the place up a bit.

Just my thoughts....

Cheers :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if it was that bad why would you want to swap it for your brand new deben max pro lamp with battery new flip cover all leads and box :wallbash:   will tell you why because you havent got one to

I'm an old-fashioned, dyed-in-the-wool stickler for correct English and this modern-day text gobbledegook that people seem to use, far too readilly it seems these days, is just another poor bloody sh

Have to agree mate Us Scottish blokes do have a bit of banter in our own tongue but I have noticed the mobile phone talk getting worse and worse. Some of it is completely uncomprehensible.

I'm an old-fashioned, dyed-in-the-wool stickler for correct English and this modern-day text gobbledegook that people seem to use, far too readilly it seems these days, is just another poor bloody show of the mass-illiteracy that abounds today. There is no need to precis or abbreviate words and phrases here and if I was a mod, I'd happily delete threads or responses that were unintelligable! As it is, I get to a point of switch-off and go elsewhere about this section.

I'm not going to be so arrogantly pig-headed as to dismiss good posts and threads just because they contain a few spelling mistakes. But when you need a bloody ENIGMA decoder to unravel the point someone is trying to make. That's the limit!

Anything which champions a reasonable standard gets my full support. At least we have a chance to understand what the hell someone is trying to say; even if it IS couched in poor spelling sometimes. People should at least try.

There are some I know, who suffer from genuine dyslexia, who make far greater efforts to communicate, than some who just can't be bothered.

As for scammers well, there will always be those dishonest scumbags who'll try it on, no matter how many safeguards are put in place. A "Trusted List" would be helpful in identifying honest traders of good reputation. But it would not discriminate between an honest fellow with a one-off item for sale; and a crook looking to make some quick and easy cash. Would it?

Simon

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 4

Ah... that armchair expert isn't me is it? :icon_redface:

No!! :laugh:

Someone else who's been digging around... :D

Thanks! :laugh:

Seriously though, the recent debacles in this section have really put me off buying a second hand air rifle here. Which is a shame as I've only been here a month and I'm sure the majority of the members on here are decent folk. I'm just not willing to take the chance of getting scammed by some chancer... :feck:

Also the text speak and appalling spelling/grammar can be frustrating at times, I accept that not everyone is a pedant for spelling; but when it gets to the point that some posts are completely incomprehensible something has to change! I'm dyslexic myself so I also understand that it's harder for some, maybe moderators could edit their posts to help them convey what they intended?

• Like 1

Ah... that armchair expert isn't me is it? :icon_redface:

No!! :laugh:

Someone else who's been digging around... :D

Thanks! :laugh:

Seriously though, the recent debacles in this section have really put me off buying a second hand air rifle here. Which is a shame as I've only been here a month and I'm sure the majority of the members on here are decent folk. I'm just not willing to take the chance of getting scammed by some chancer... :feck:

Also the text speak and appalling spelling/grammar can be frustrating at times, I accept that not everyone is a pedant for spelling; but when it gets to the point that some posts are completely incomprehensible something has to change! I'm dyslexic myself so I also understand that it's harder for some, maybe moderators could edit their posts to help them convey what they intended?

I'm dyslexic too ( isn't it ironic that it's such a hard word to spell...) and I too am aware that my spelling's not 100% but I try my best. I know I feck up from time to time :icon_redface: but I do try.....

As for selling and buying..... I'll only ever deal face to face and only after I've spoken to the person to try to get the measure of them. I will never send a gun to someone I don't know through the post. I've only ever done a very few deals online but so far, they've all been OK :thumbs:

Cheers.

I know right, the whole English language is ironic! Phonetic isn't spelled phonetically, Dyslexia is :censored: hard to spell and abbreviation is a long word... :wallbash:

If tha hole Inglish lagwage waz speld phoneticly we'd awl bee on tha sam paig an txt tawk wuld bee tha norm....

Let's just thank ourselves lucky that that's not the case.... Yet... :laugh::thumbs:

• Like 1

Firstly, despite the late (early) hour, I am stone cold sober.

I have just one word for the "trusted member" suggestion and that word is BOLLOCKS

If you don't know someone personally, or know someone who will vouch for them, then you are taking a big chance dealing with them, and when you've sent your shiny gun through the post to them and they've had your pants down, then it's your own fault!

If you want your "trusted member" silliness and post limits before people can sell, just like they have on the super dooper xyz airgun site, then my suggestion would be to sling your hook off to the xyz site, and stop whining about the way this site is run, stupid people will always do stupid things and it is no one elses responsibility to protect them.

I've done probably more deals than most on here, and if I rip someone then it would be the last deal I did, there's only 1 way to gain trust and that's to earn it, and trust includes keeping peoples personal details secret, not having Mr Fluffy Bollocks as an intermediary, what if he wakes up one morning and decides to rip you for the gun and the cash? I've had loads of proper dog lads addresses here over the years, and have done exactly the same with every one, destroyed them as soon as the gear is posted.

If you don't trust someone, then don't deal with them, or try to pass the responsibility for your own naiiveity (sp?) or stupidity on to anyone else, you're big boys now, man up and either take the chance or don't deal by post, but FFS stop crying about it!!!!

It's the internet for Christs sake, a place where 6 foot tall 14 stone Doormen can be 16 year old schoolgirls called Susan (only on a tuesday)

If all the other forums you all use are so great, then that's your question answered surely .............

• Like 2

I have just one word for the "trusted member" suggestion and that word is BOLLOCKS

If you don't know someone personally, or know someone who will vouch for them, then you are taking a big chance dealing with them, and when you've sent your shiny gun through the post to them and they've had your pants down, then it's your own fault!

If you want your "trusted member" silliness and post limits before people can sell, just like they have on the super dooper xyz airgun site, then my suggestion would be to sling your hook off to the xyz site, and stop whining about the way this site is run, stupid people will always do stupid things and it is no one elses responsibility to protect them.

I've done probably more deals than most on here, and if I rip someone then it would be the last deal I did, there's only 1 way to gain trust and that's to earn it, and trust includes keeping peoples personal details secret, not having Mr Fluffy Bollocks as an intermediary, what if he wakes up one morning and decides to rip you for the gun and the cash? I've had loads of proper dog lads addresses here over the years, and have done exactly the same with every one, destroyed them as soon as the gear is posted.

If you don't trust someone, then don't deal with them, or try to pass the responsibility for your own naiiveity (sp?) or stupidity on to anyone else, you're big boys now, man up and either take the chance or don't deal by post, but FFS stop crying about it!!!!

It's the internet for Christs sake, a place where 6 foot tall 14 stone Doormen can be 16 year old schoolgirls called Susan (only on a tuesday)

If all the other forums you all use are so great, then that's your question answered surely .............

you dont want a trusted list,because then you will be restricted who you can sell too :tongue2:

then you would be bollocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you know personally , or know someone who will vouch for every person you`ve sold to on here SS ? And you`ve never been screwed ?

The Trusted Member List is something that works very well on other sites , it helps promote the `vouching system ` you speak of as everyone on the list has been nominated but at least 2 or 3 other trusted members , so they are known to be trustworthy .

Nobody doubts that you`ve done loads of deals , and to be fair , most people have earned trust and respect from other members on here so deals would straightforward . What if he wakes up one morning and decides to rip you for the gun and the cash? , if he was on the trusted list , it would`nt happen , and if it did there would be other members that personally know him , so it would get `sorted ` . And keeping someones details to ones self goes without saying .

SP ? Ye i dont get that either ......

OK Sue , see ya Tuesday :kiss:

Thats completley uncalled for as most guy are just tryin to help improve their own chosen section , so i think thats an unfair comment .

you dont want a trusted list,because then you will be restricted who you can sell too :tongue2:

then you would be bollocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How would I be restricted? Do you think I'd do as I'm told?

Bollocked? By whom?

Like I said, if all the other sites are so great ......... why are you on here?

Do your deals on those and stop whining.

Hi all,

Just seeing if anyone has noticed that noboy seems to post anything in the right section anymore? I've tried to highlight it to repeat offenders in a polite way but hasnt sunk in. Any mods active on this forum to move things about anymore etc? When I used to be more active on here you werent even allowed to write in 'text speak' which was awesome but now its just turned into a bit of a free for all for some.

I agree Jack

Its near on Impossible for a handfull of moderators to police a forum 24/7 which now has over 30,000 members on and riseing. trust me it is a full time job with countless PM's sorting out disputes aswel as editing posts, croping posts and the like! plus after tax we're only getting £75,000 a year :D.

got to say the text talk crap does my nob in but sadly this is part of everyday life these days :doh:, there's not many topics these days that don't have some text talk in one way or another! if we deleted it all most threads would be savaged, although we still try and tidy them up when spotted.

the best help is the members who alert or report us to the crap so we can deal with it! you know who you are :thumbs:....

Jasp

I fail to see how the posting of " trivial banter" benefits any site

I can see where you are coming from with this,, but THL is almost a social club,, some nights it is yhe trivial banter that makes the site! lol. trusted members is the way to go. :thumbs: