.204 re barrel

So do you really need the .204 if you have the 22-250...?

personally i'd sell the 22-250, and concentrate on one round... and the 204 is great if you wanna reap the best from it by reloading...

but if thats not the road you wanna go down theres a hell of lot of rounds worth fro the 22-250 if you spend the gun money on extra rounds

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I am worried! I thought a 204 was the one for me Im begining to now think 223. So would I be better off getting a cheap 204 and then replacing the barrel for a 1 in 10?

I'd say yes. From all I've seen, 1:10 gives the best compromise from 32g to 48. Berger supply bullets from 25g - awesomely fast! - to 58g. They recommend 1:9 for the heavy rounds; 1:10 - 1:11 seems fave for the sensible weights in between. Start with a decent action, nothing flash, put a Border/Archer 1:10 on it and upgrade the action as you go.

As ever, just my opinion.

So do you really need the .204 if you have the 22-250...?

personally i'd sell the 22-250, and concentrate on one round... and the 204 is great if you wanna reap the best from it by reloading...

but if thats not the road you wanna go down theres a hell of lot of rounds worth fro the 22-250 if you spend the gun money on extra rounds

Yes I need the 204 for a nv add on, it's been recommended that I don't go more than a 223 for recoil. Also shooting rabbit's with nv on my.22 is hard work because I can't judge distance so I want a flat shooting round I can just aim and shoot out to about 150 before I have to think about distances or holdover.

I'll still have another 22-250 with swarovski scope for lamping foxes as a lot of my shots are well over 250 so I can't be without a 22-250 either. I specifically want the 204 for nv.

Now I am worried! I thought a 204 was the one for me Im begining to now think 223. So would I be better off getting a cheap 204 and then replacing the barrel for a 1 in 10?

I'd say yes. From all I've seen, 1:10 gives the best compromise from 32g to 48. Berger supply bullets from 25g - awesomely fast! - to 58g. They recommend 1:9 for the heavy rounds; 1:10 - 1:11 seems fave for the sensible weights in between. Start with a decent action, nothing flash, put a Border/Archer 1:10 on it and upgrade the action as you go.

I like the sound of this opinion as I think I want to use the heavier bullet straight away. How do I go about buying it in bits? I would like to buy the whole thing from the same place if possible. How much is a border/archer barrel? I would like to buy and finish, Im not really one to upgrade once I've bought something. I'd rather wait a bit longer and get what I want sraight off.

I like the sound of this opinion as I think I want to use the heavier bullet straight away. How do I go about buying it in bits? I would like to buy the whole thing from the same place if possible. How much is a border/archer barrel? I would like to buy and finish, Im not really one to upgrade once I've bought something. I'd rather wait a bit longer and get what I want sraight off.

google border barrels! They sell anything from re-barrelled rifles to full custom jobbies. They'll put the action of your choice with one of their barrels into a custom stock, and blueprint the action, new trigger, . . .Whatever. The price of the barrel depends very much on the profile you want. A fluted heavy varminter is about top whack. It also seems to me like your best choice. And as Blackfox will confirm, they will also sell you some seriously class glass to put on top. Buy once, cry once!

A true 1:12 twist will stabilise the 40gr but the problem is that most manufactures end up releasing a twist that is slighty more than 1:12.

Ive yet to see a 1:12 twist that doesnt stabilise the 39gr, if it doesnt shoot tight its down to either the shooter or the gun not the twist rate.

The difference between the 39gr and the 40gr is that the 40gr has a slightly longer bearing surface, a 1:12 will stabilise the 39gr and the 45gr.

Personally i would go for a 1:11 twist (with suitable chamber) if i was looking to stabilise the 40gr, i wouldnt go for a heavy round as i think it defeats the purpose of the .204 been a fast flat shooting round.

The 39gr will drop foxs in excess of 300yards no problem once you put it in the right place.

The .204 is a notoriously fussy calibre, ammo, barrels, twists, barrel length, the list goes on.

If you get lucky out of the box then fine, many have to reload to get what they want and some apparently chuck away their factory barrel and get a custom.

There are of course happy owners, but in most situations there are also easier to get on with alternatives, think carefully about the specific need for a .204 before investing! :thumbs:

Just got a reply, looking at £2900 for starting price of custom built 204 with 1 in 10 twist. This is my last day to make my mind up on calibre! A sako 204 is about £1300 so I could get the gun,scope,bipod and strap and some ammo for the price of a custom job. I think I'd buy the factory gun then upgrade the barrel at a later date if I didn't get on with the ammo,as I want to see the stopping power of the gun before spending a fortune on one. Now I've got 6 hours to decide 223 or 204 AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH :wallbash:

Deker reading between the lines it doesn't sound like you rate a 204? Any more info on it?

Just got a reply, looking at £2900 for starting price of custom built 204 with 1 in 10 twist. This is my last day to make my mind up on calibre! A sako 204 is about £1300 so I could get the gun,scope,bipod and strap and some ammo for the price of a custom job. I think I'd buy the factory gun then upgrade the barrel at a later date if I didn't get on with the ammo,as I want to see the stopping power of the gun before spending a fortune on one. Now I've got 6 hours to decide 223 or 204 AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH :wallbash:

Deker reading between the lines it doesn't sound like you rate a 204? Any more info on it?

I have had first hand experience of them, although not owned one, and know owners who have had them and got rid quickly.

They are a pretty specialized tool and FUSSY.

I have .223, .243 and .308 in the centerfires as well as a collection of air rifles, rimfires and shotguns, I run my own Game and Vermin Control company, I am Secretary of a Home Office approved Rifle club at Bisley and a Deer Mentor.

I have no requirement for a .204.

Others may!

ATB!

Deker so what you are saying is the 223 does everything the .204 does and better in your opinion

What rate of twist would you go for in 223, 8 or 12? for fox only

A .223 will not generally do everything a .204 can as few will want very light and fast ammo in it, BUT.....

A .223 CAN do pretty much anything a .204 can if you use the right ammo and have the right barrel and twist, you then turn it into a .204 on steroids and it is pretty useless at anything else!

I have no need to knock down crows at 300 yards with a .204, and there are better tools for fox, be careful of ammo and surface splash, it isn't a deer calibre and is daft for rabbits, I have no need for it. It obviously has a place, but you need to find a gun/ammo/quarry combination that works.

I have never been in a situation when I have thought, Damn, I'm screwed, I really need a .204!

What do you really think it is good at and what did you really want it for?

Like I say, I am NOT slagging it off, I have no need for one, they can be very temperamental in many ways and fill a pretty limited and specialized slot.

Many (the few) happy owners will probably argue, it has just not taken off in the uk (yet? :hmm::hmm::hmm: )!

Please accept I am not having a go, EVERY calibre has a use, what use do you have for this that you think no other can do as well?

:thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by Deker