.204 re barrel

ive heard good and bad things about riflecraft. some good that they do barrel they take off new rifles that are in to be turned custom. so they sell off the new factory barrels cheap fit and proof them for next to no money which is good.

but bad that a guy had a remmy from them what they said was blueprinted etc. when he had the rifle rebarreled in the future by a different smith. it turns out the remmy action hadnt even been worked on so wasnt blueprinted. this to me isnt very good. paying for a blueprinted action that wasnt even touched i bet that wasnt cheap.

interesting point and there is no way realy of checking unless you happen to be a gunsmith but i am just so chuffed that after such a long time i have got a gun that that shoots how i allways wanted i dont care if they got sooty to tap it with his magic wand as long as it is accurate.cheers for the tip tho

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike my main reason of getting the 204 is for a nv add on. It's only reccommended up to 223 but I like the sound of a 204. I've got two 22-250's the one is my lamping gun with a swarovski z6i for the longer shots and the other can't be fitted with a mod so it has to go. This barrel issue is something Im now going to look at in great depth thanks for everyones help. :thumbs:

good luck i hope you get on well the tanks love the 204 so that has to be a good recomendation. let me know .how you get on

Mike my main reason of getting the 204 is for a nv add on. It's only reccommended up to 223 but I like the sound of a 204. I've got two 22-250's the one is my lamping gun with a swarovski z6i for the longer shots and the other can't be fitted with a mod so it has to go. This barrel issue is something Im now going to look at in great depth thanks for everyones help. :thumbs:

good luck i hope you get on well the yanks love the 204 so that has to be a good recomendation. let me know .how you get on

That most certainly looks the part! Did you not get on with the reme barrel?

Well yes and no, the main reason was the fact that i neglected to have a proper cleaning regime, that resulted in pitting of the factory barrel.

So if any are reading this that never bother to clean a barrel properly, you have been warned.

as you can see it shoots ok....

this was a 5 shot group at 100yrds with the excellent 39grn Sierra BK's

IMG_0145.jpg

Can anyone tell me how a 40g bullet through a 204 with a 1in12 twist would stabilise? Reason I ask is I was hoping for a 1-10 twist or 1-11 but sako's factory 204 with or without stainless is 1 in twelve. Im a little concerned as I mainly want to shoot the heavier bullet longer distances.

Cheers snap, how long would the barrel last shooting 32's?

Sorry to Jump in.... to be honest mate it will keep you going for thousands of rounds.

Be sure to look after it tho, as that will pro long the barrel life & the .204 dosnt like it dirrrty

Also if you dont already, look into hand loading for it. :thumbs:

Edited by blackfox

I only shoot about 50 foxes a year so hand loading has never been high on my list of priorities as I probably only go through 200 rds of 22-250 a year including the occasional rabbit and crow. I suppose I might shoot a few more rounds through a 204 as it'll be so much lighter so I won't mind carrying it more often. I can't see it fully taking over the fox control from my 22-250 just the lamp shy ones and cubs. I doubt I'd ever wear out a barrel but Im just worried on it's stopping power at distance when I really can't fault the 22-250.