All Round Calibre For UK

Hi guys, i'm currently in the process of filling out my FAC, and was wandering what is a good all round calibre for hunting in the UK, hunting will consist of deer stalking to fox and rabbit hunting. I want a calibre that will do the job for both... i was thinking of .270, any other suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by 04rafz

Yup 270 will killem all!!!

Wouldn`t want to try and get owt edible off a rabbit thats been hit with one though..

Think more along the lines of a 22lr and a .243. Different rifles for different jobs bud.

Doubt your FLO would be happy if you told him you wrere using a 270 to shoot rabbits either :thumbs:

TBH You can put what you like,, it can all change during your interview with the FLO

He`ll discuss what you want and suggest changes as he sees fit anyway

ATB

I don't think there's one calibre that will cover everything that you can shoot in the UK. Of course, the .270, or even the .243, will kill just about anything in the UK, but it will be a very expensive and noisy way of doing the rabbits and other small stuff (and very limiting too really, even with the extra range!)

I'd definitely go for a centrefire for the deer and foxes, and a rimfire for the vermin and small game. The .243 is a great cartridge, from laser flat 55gr rounds at 4000fps, down to 105gr soft points, there is a huge range of ammunition, it's relatively cheap to get hold of, and reloading is a doddle as there's so much information around about it. The .270 is a lot bigger, a lot punchier and somewhat more expensive to run. Also the .270 needs a longer action than the .243, which tends to push gun prices up.

I'd then go for a .22LR. A brilliant all rounder, and capable if rabbits out to 100 yards if you do your bit. It's not as flat shooting as a .17, but it's a whole heck of a lot quieter, and cheaper. The other option is the .22WMR, which will take bunnies out to the same sort o range as a .17, but carries a heck of a lot more energy downrange, and is capable of longer range foxes too if needed.

At the end of the day it's entirely a matter of personal preference. The argument as to what calibre is best for what is as old as gunpowder (probably older, MY ballista is better than YOUR trebuchet!) and there IS no "RIGHT" answer. Get your hands on as many as possible and see which you like. The one thing I'm sure of is that there is no one round that you will be happy with for all UK shooting!

You dont want the cost of running a 270 for bunnies either.

22lr zero at about 60yds for shorter range bunnies and perhaps close fox. Near silent with subsonic ammo and a moderator. Cheepest to run. Start here.

17hmr zero at 100 yds longer range bunnies and closeish fox. Less richochet - never know how to spell that.

22wmr zero at 100 yds (not so sure about that) longer range bunnies and closeish fox

Anything bigger will tear bunnies to pieces (check youtube) but more suitable for fox, 270 will kill them but bigger than most people use.

245 legal minimum for large deer.

Get a shotgun cert while your at it - its only an extra tenna.

Nope. .240 is legal minimum in England for all deer species.

Agree about the SGC though.

Legal minimum for muntjac and CWD in England and Wales is .220" CF with min 1000 ft.lbs ME.

The OP doesn't have a snowflake in hell's chance of getting .270 on a first FAC. Nor will he get conditioned for deer without either monitoring or a DSC. Go for .22lr for wabbits, .223 for fox.

So You want a calibre for deer/fox and rabbits.

This isn't having a go at you, so please don't take it that way. If your so inexperienced to think that any calibre use for deer will prove suitable for rabbits you need to have a rethink. In the first instance, shooting deer should not be taken lightly, there is much to learn and much to do way before you even think about shooting deer. What are you going to do with the deer once you have shot it? Can you process it? store it? You can not simply leave a shot deer in a hedge, can you extract it? What deer species are you going to shoot? Nope, there is a world of difference between shooting deer and rabbits.

The bottom line here is that you are most unlikely to get to shoot deer on your own for a good few years, if your going stalking with an experienced guide, then he/she will want to see you shoot!

Deer: .243" min IMHO.

Foxes: I doubt your going to get a calibre to shoot foxes on your first application, but a .223 would be a good start.

Rabbits : .22rf but may I suggest a shotgun for a few years first.

It's a world of pit falls and problems when you first start out, so you need to start at the beginning, take your time and ask a lot of question before you fill in your application.

Your personal situation may well differ from most on here, you might have access to many thousands of acres of deer shooting land but you really need to stop, think, ask and listen.

John

I would think that you would be better applying for .17hmr as FEOs will be more inclined to issue that over .22 due to the fact .17hmr break up on impact where as .22 as renowed for whizzing of every now and again when the deform. I know alot of guys who stalk deer who rate them more dangerous in that respect than their deer rifles.

I would also go for 6.5x55 as it will drop all uk deer with ease,with the right load and with minimal meat damage. With regards to what you get issued , well thats a case of what police force governs you, the FEO and your mentor. I was granted .17HMR,177 FAC air rifle,6.5 x 55 and 30-06 on my first attempt...but from what I am told thats very very rare.

Good luck

Pete

Edited by chickenman

Nope. .240 is legal minimum in England for all deer species.

Agree about the SGC though.

Legal minimum for muntjac and CWD in England and Wales is .220" CF with min 1000 ft.lbs ME.

The OP doesn't have a snowflake in hell's chance of getting .270 on a first FAC. Nor will he get conditioned for deer without either monitoring or a DSC. Go for .22lr for wabbits, .223 for fox.

he mite have i got a .22/ 22.250/ 243 on first FAC and had no monitoring first even not used a rifle before my FAC came :thumbs:

he mite have i got a .22/ 22.250/ 243 on first FAC and had no monitoring first even not used a rifle before my FAC came :thumbs:

East Yorkshire yes. London? I don't think so!

Chickenman, any FEO who would prefer to issue a .17 over a .22LR, simply on the grounds that the .17 is less likely to ricochet needs taking away for re-education!

Firstly if you apply the rules, and only fire towards a safe backstop etc. etc. the odd ricochet is not an issue. It only becomes an issue if you decide to fire in an unsafe direction.

The .17 is more powerful, and if fired in an unsafe direction is more likely to do harm than the .22.

Frankly I would question anyone who chooses the .17 over the .22 simply on the basis of ricochet safety (the .17 can and does ricochet by the way, it's by no means immune!) is probably taking shots they shouldn't.

There ARE reasons for having a .17 (though not many I'd say) but to state ricochet safety as the main one is totally wrong!

Sorry for the rant, but it's a ridiculous decision to choose the smaller round because it doesn't ricochet.