Training a Terrier to Ratting!!!

Evening,

I took my 7 month old Cairn X bitch ratting on Sunday with some friends. There was about 7 terriers in total and by the end of the day we had 36 rats. My terrier didn't seem interested at all!! Just mooching about. When we play at home she searches and ragges her toys like a trooper, but not on Sunday.

Help please, do you think she might have been a little overcome with all the new dogs running around and people running around shounting and banging things? Is the anything that I could do at home to help her when we go out, training tip?

My good lady said she thought she might be a little young and to be fair to the terrier she did start to show a little more interest by the end of the day.

Cheers

i just leave mine to mooch about while the rest are ratting, went ratting a few weeks back first time for my youngster even tho he is not that young anymore just been busy moving house trying to get life back on track after the other half got paid off so never had much time.

i took mum and son with me, mother is a demon on rats.

Things just clicked he saw a rat coming out from old metal food store and the rest is history and here is with his first rat

IMG_4853.jpg

try her with a live trap 1st by herself see what she makes of it,you will know if shes going to do her job or not

Not trying to put you off but I had a 7 month old bitch that killed a few but really her heart wernt in it I gave her time till she was 9 month still not really bothered in doing the job I wanted her for, my mum has her now as a house pet

I guess what Im trying to say is if you need the dog to work rats on a regular basis or maybe shes just a house dog you need to put some thought into it and what you want the dog to do

My Patts were killing rats at 5 months but all dog are different

Good luck with her anyway :thumbs:

first time i took mine was at 7 months. went with a mate and his dog. my pup didnt seem that interested at first. think he was a bit intimadated by the other dog. we let him have a rag of a dead rat, and let him carry it round a bit. then took him back while i was checking the cage traps, and he was mad keen to get at the rats in side. i dipatched the rats, and let him have a rag. the next time we went, i blocked a few holes up, round the chicken sheds, left it a while and went back, on turning the corner me and the dog saw a big old rat sat out on the path, the dog chased it, it tried to get into 1 of the holes, but id blocked it earlier, the dog caught it as it tryed to get under a tool shed and killed quickly with no fuss. he loves it now.there is no stopping him. we dont get massive bags, but we dont have that sort of permission. he uses his nose well, and never lets me down when he marks. atb

100_0024-1.jpg

this was him marking a rat in a pile of wood. he didnt catch it. but a few days later he caught this 1 under neath :thumbs: this was his first.

P070210_1038.jpg

i just leave mine to mooch about while the rest are ratting, went ratting a few weeks back first time for my youngster even tho he is not that young anymore just been busy moving house trying to get life back on track after the other half got paid off so never had much time.

i took mum and son with me, mother is a demon on rats.

Things just clicked he saw a rat coming out from old metal food store and the rest is history and here is with his first rat

IMG_4853.jpg

Wow! You'd never get my mum near rats!! :laugh: