New International Lurcher Events

As well as the shows that Leeview pointed out that were outside the fair or free entry for lurchers & terriers the Gamekeepers Fair at Catton Park is also outside the main fair with the option to pay through to the main showground.

In my experience lurcher & terrier owners who attend to race & show seldom get further than the ringside anyway so its a lot to pay out for them

Dukie,

That is the decision of those show organisers but what we have CONCENTRATED ON and will continue to do so is to give the terrier & lurchers their proper place amongst the other competitions with now equivalent or better competition prize structure while at the same time offering them a two shows for the price of one concession for Ballywalter and Shanes Castle. £10 for two events - can anyone tell me what game or country fairs offer terrier & lurcher owners ACTUALLY ENTERING the Fairs better admission rates?

For Shanes and Birr we also offer Terrier & Lurcher owners the unique concession of a two day ticket ordered in advance for the price of one day.

AlbertJ

The point that I'm making is that at these shows outside the showground L&T owners have a choice to either enter the show or not. If my memory serves me correctly then i think that at the Living Heritage/ Lurcherworld shows competitors are allowed in at half price through a different gate but still on the showground.

there seems to alot of talk of free entry or half price for those with dogs competing what other shoe or event offers a discount for competors prehahaps it might be an idea if those advertising show and events let us know the entry fee in adavance and how much per class we would arrive at the gate with the proper entery fee speeding up the tail back on the gate

Pigsy - Fair point - the concessions I have made have got some of our team lost! But at least it proves we are sympathetic to fellow country sports people in this recession!

So TO SUMMARISE :

Admission price to the Ballywalter Game Fair on Saturday 30th April and Sunday 1st May ( T&L Sunday) but main ring demos both days is £10 per Audult and £25 per family - parking & programme FREE. Anyone purchasing either a family ticket or Adult ticket at Ballywalter gets an equivalent FREE ticket for Ireland's top Game Fair at Shanes Castle. So two fairs for the price of one!

Admission price for the Irish Game Fair at Shanes Castle 25th June ( Terrier & Lurcher racing including final of Master Mc Grath Challenge) ) and Sunday 26th ( All Ireland Terrier & Lurcher Championships) is £10 per Adult and £25 per family - parking & programme FREE. Anyone who wants to purchase a TWO DAY pass can do so but this is payable in advance to me by the end of May. Main arena terrier & lurcher demos both days.

Admission price for the Irish Game and Country Fair at Birr Castle Saturday 27th August ( Terrier & Lurcher Racing ) and Sunday 28th ( ROI Terrier & Lurcher Championships plus final of the Five Nations International Lurcher Championships) is €15 Adult €35 per family - parking & programme FREE. Anyone entering a dog in the racing on Saturday gets a FREE ticket for Sunday. Main arena terrier & lurcher demos both days.

So you can now get your money ready although with the interest we have had for all three events this year we won't guarantee that you won't have to queue a little time!

Albertj

how much to enter a class at these shows

lads its all about simple maths . albert says he makes nothing out of the terrier and lurcher event and i belive him . where he makes it is at the front gate 500 of us at 15 a pop 7500 not bad money . as for the 5 euro entry for dog that picked on the way down the road....no thanks

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You really do appear to have a rather odd 'chip on your shoulder' about something. I should have thought most lurcher owners would have welcomed fresh innovative competitions instead of inaccurate and

First of all, I'd like to apologise for taking this thread slightly off topic! but I feel I have to respond when the "Five Nations International Working Terrier Championship" has been mentioned! it wa

I can't understand all this craic about entrty fee's, to the fair, and to enter your Lurcher or Terrier to the show; I'd of thought it was dead simple.... if you don't like it.... don't go !! If the m

As well as the shows that Leeview pointed out that were outside the fair or free entry for lurchers & terriers the Gamekeepers Fair at Catton Park is also outside the main fair with the option to pay through to the main showground.

In my experience lurcher & terrier owners who attend to race & show seldom get further than the ringside anyway so its a lot to pay out for them

Dukie,

That is the decision of those show organisers but what we have CONCENTRATED ON and will continue to do so is to give the terrier & lurchers their proper place amongst the other competitions with now equivalent or better competition prize structure while at the same time offering them a two shows for the price of one concession for Ballywalter and Shanes Castle. £10 for two events - can anyone tell me what game or country fairs offer terrier & lurcher owners ACTUALLY ENTERING the Fairs better admission rates?

For Shanes and Birr we also offer Terrier & Lurcher owners the unique concession of a two day ticket ordered in advance for the price of one day.

AlbertJ

The point that I'm making is that at these shows outside the showground L&T owners have a choice to either enter the show or not. If my memory serves me correctly then i think that at the Living Heritage/ Lurcherworld shows competitors are allowed in at half price through a different gate but still on the showground.

there seems to alot of talk of free entry or half price for those with dogs competing what other shoe or event offers a discount for competors prehahaps it might be an idea if those advertising show and events let us know the entry fee in adavance and how much per class we would arrive at the gate with the proper entery fee speeding up the tail back on the gate

Pigsy - Fair point - the concessions I have made have got some of our team lost! But at least it proves we are sympathetic to fellow country sports people in this recession!

So TO SUMMARISE :

Admission price to the Ballywalter Game Fair on Saturday 30th April and Sunday 1st May ( T&L Sunday) but main ring demos both days is £10 per Audult and £25 per family - parking & programme FREE. Anyone purchasing either a family ticket or Adult ticket at Ballywalter gets an equivalent FREE ticket for Ireland's top Game Fair at Shanes Castle. So two fairs for the price of one!

Admission price for the Irish Game Fair at Shanes Castle 25th June ( Terrier & Lurcher racing including final of Master Mc Grath Challenge) ) and Sunday 26th ( All Ireland Terrier & Lurcher Championships) is £10 per Adult and £25 per family - parking & programme FREE. Anyone who wants to purchase a TWO DAY pass can do so but this is payable in advance to me by the end of May. Main arena terrier & lurcher demos both days.

Admission price for the Irish Game and Country Fair at Birr Castle Saturday 27th August ( Terrier & Lurcher Racing ) and Sunday 28th ( ROI Terrier & Lurcher Championships plus final of the Five Nations International Lurcher Championships) is €15 Adult €35 per family - parking & programme FREE. Anyone entering a dog in the racing on Saturday gets a FREE ticket for Sunday. Main arena terrier & lurcher demos both days.

So you can now get your money ready although with the interest we have had for all three events this year we won't guarantee that you won't have to queue a little time!

Albertj

lads its all about simple maths . albert says he makes nothing out of the terrier and lurcher event and i belive him . where he makes it is at the front gate 500 of us at 15 a pop 7500 not bad money . as for the 5 euro entry for dog that picked on the way down the road....no thanks

Dukie,

AlbertJ

So TO SUMMARISE :

Albertj

Just Huntin,

Oh if only my maths were as simple as yours. Unfortunately not all gate money is unencumbered by costs. When one takes a contribution from everyone who comes in the gate for VAT, ground rental,car parking costs, insurance, cost of judges travel & accommodation, judges gifts, staffing,security, main arena attractions, advertising and promotion - there is very little left. I don't know how many terrier & lurcher enthusiasts were at Birr last year but even assuming there were 500 then last year having allocated all the costs above out of the gate receipts the taking away the cost of the T&L prizes and the extra costs of the Five Nations ( c €3,500) - quite simply we did not make money on the Terrier & Lurcher events. My colleagues and pur accountant would say we LOST money on the Terrier & Lurcher events - I prefer to say we INVESTED heavily in them.

My objective for the competitors in events is to have the forecast gate receipts cover the costs of the events. Any profits that we make are mainly from the public that attend because there are fewer costs associated with their participation. We want to have the best prizes fund at any fair in Ireland ( which we have) and equivalent to that in the UK and to keep reinvesting to maintain the status of the events. Now when we do this for other competitions

we are applauded for this but when we do it for T &L we get criticised. AND sometimes in a particularly NASTY way such as your criticism of the judges.

Our competitions are fair and our judges selected to be so.

You can see from the new costingsthat we offer an unrivalled package for Terrier & Lurcher oweners which I think it is safe to say is likely to be unmatched at any other major fair i.e run your dog on Saturday; Show your dog on Sunday with the chance to win major prizes and prestige and have two days at the ROI's best country sports event all for €22.

Dukie,

AlbertJ

So TO SUMMARISE :

Albertj

Just Huntin,

Oh if only my maths were as simple as yours. Unfortunately not all gate money is unencumbered by costs. When one takes a contribution from everyone who comes in the gate for VAT, ground rental,car parking costs, insurance, cost of judges travel & accommodation, judges gifts, staffing,security, main arena attractions, advertising and promotion - there is very little left. I don't know how many terrier & lurcher enthusiasts were at Birr last year but even assuming there were 500 then last year having allocated all the costs above out of the gate receipts the taking away the cost of the T&L prizes and the extra costs of the Five Nations ( c €3,500) - quite simply we did not make money on the Terrier & Lurcher events. My colleagues and pur accountant would say we LOST money on the Terrier & Lurcher events - I prefer to say we INVESTED heavily in them.

My objective for the competitors in events is to have the forecast gate receipts cover the costs of the events. Any profits that we make are mainly from the public that attend because there are fewer costs associated with their participation. We want to have the best prizes fund at any fair in Ireland ( which we have) and equivalent to that in the UK and to keep reinvesting to maintain the status of the events. Now when we do this for other competitions

we are applauded for this but when we do it for T &L we get criticised. AND sometimes in a particularly NASTY way such as your criticism of the judges.

You can see from the new costingsthat we offer an unrivalled package for Terrier & Lurcher oweners which I think it is safe to say is likely to be unmatched at any other major fair i.e run your dog on Saturday; Show your dog on Sunday with the chance to win major prizes and prestige and have two days at the ROI's best country sports event all for €22.

sorry albert i should of said a gross of 7500 .every body has some deductions out of gross profit after all you run the fair to make money and i dont think anybody begrudges you a profit .but dont say you make nothing out the terrier and lurchers .back to the ring entry fees 3 pounds or 5 euro thats an exchange rate of 1.66 ..... where it should be about 1.15 which would leave it at about 4.40 pounds sterling ....fair play is fair play albert . tell the lads to bring the vasilene with them so they can ride us rightly ....

Well done getting back to us on this Albert But as always there is two sides to this coin Ok we have no need to enter any or all the classes I think some of the classes are ott ie gentleman handler how is this judged by the dog by the handlers dressage or be cause he is the judges mate the same goes for lady handler and the and at 5 euro a pop On the plus side at least you have decentcy put all the prices on here and are totally up front There is very few shows if any that do this Prehaps thhey should follow your example on this

Dukie,

AlbertJ

So TO SUMMARISE :

Albertj

Just Huntin,

sorry albert i should of said a gross of 7500 .every body has some deductions out of gross profit after all you run the fair to make money and i dont think anybody begrudges you a profit .but dont say you make nothing out the terrier and lurchers .back to the ring entry fees 3 pounds or 5 euro thats an exchange rate of 1.66 ..... where it should be about 1.15 which would leave it at about 4.40 pounds sterling ....fair play is fair play albert . tell the lads to bring the vasilene with them so they can ride us rightly ....

your shittin me :blink: £4.40 a class,we went to a couple of great shows lass year and the classes were £2 a go an they had good prizes

albert why does mid antrim club have the shanes fair as their show could the shanes fair not be given to different clubs each year this in turn would give these clubs xtra club funds etc and a few new judges etc

Springer,

We do have new judges every year and it is good to have a mix of UK & Irish judges.

It would be a nightmare to work with a new and possibly untried club every year. The fair is a massive co-ordination undertaking and it is good to have teams in place who have demonstrated they can do the job efficiently and have proper documentation and insurance in place. In short that I can leave a lot of the organisation to them. Our team is small and we can't be everywhere at once. There may well be other clubs who could do it just as well but (1) they have never approached us and (2) I am a great believer in seeking constant improvement NOT change. Certainly not change for change's sake.

Our objective must always be to run our overall event and individual events efficiently. Changing clubs annually while it might be good for the clubs involved would greatly increase our management team input.

Albert

Dukie,

AlbertJ

So TO SUMMARISE :

Albertj

Just Huntin,

I can categorically assure you that even if we had 7,500 gross from the terrier & lurcher enthusiasts on our costings we would have made a loss on them in 2010. I did take the ring fees up with the organising club and they offered to run the terrier & lurcher racing free. I suggested that we should run it as a sweepstake with a nominal charge and I would put up a free ticket for the Sunday. As I say you have to look at things in the round and you can run your dog on Satirday, enter it in a class on Sunday and have two days at the fair for €22. That has to be good value.

And of course you will have to redo your maths by your reckoning I would then only be getting €3,750! or put another way we will definitely be making a loss on the terrier & lurcher events!

Just Huntin,

Albert while your in an answering mode :whistling: Just Hunting mentions gate receipts which you answered :thumbs: You never answered my question about how much stall holders are charged to stand at a show? or the ice cream,burger van and generally catering vans? all this money your taking :laugh: and your making a loss :no: no business runs at a loss for long.

Y.I.S Leeview

albert.how much is it to enter a class in the show on sunday.i dont race at shows with the curs i have theres no point but i like to enter a few classes for the hell of it

Kegs.

The club have set it at €5 and made the concession of effectively free racing on Saturday and I have matched this with the two day offer.

I am afraid thats it for 2011.

Albertj

Just Huntin,

Albert while your in an answering mode :whistling: Just Hunting mentions gate receipts which you answered :thumbs: You never answered my question about how much stall holders are charged to stand at a show? or the ice cream,burger van and generally catering vans? all this money your taking :laugh: and your making a loss :no: no business runs at a loss for long.

Y.I.S Leeview

Leeview,

You appear to have a remarkable interest in our fairs - perhaps you are thinking of joining the massive gravy train you think exudes from game fairs.

I did not say that we did not make a profit ( and any profit made is not made by ME but a team of four in NI and a team of 4 in the ROI. What I said and will repeat we do not make money out of the Terrier & lurchers or any competitors.

I didn't duck your question. Our rates for stand holders are quite transparent - the booking forms are on our web sites. But of course we recognise that there is a recession and give discounts for exhibitors attending 2 or 3 fairs. Our objective has always been to make our events SUCCESSFUL first and PROFITABLE second. Thats why we have led the field for 33 years and keep making innovations that others can just copy.

I am fortunate to have made money in other ways so that I do not depend on my livelihood from show organising - as many have found out it is a very precarious way to try to do so! To put it into perspective I have made more in international consultancy assignments in a month than I have ever made most fairs

Yes in most years we do make a profit overall BUT NOT from terrier & lurcher owners or indeed from any of the competitors. But take a bad year and you can lose a great deal of money all round. Profits come from margins on revenue streams such as stands. sponsorship and gate receipts. Of the latter only the general public really make a contribution to profits as competitors' gate receipts are usually swallowed up by the costs and prize structure involved.

As you can see we have made further concessions to Terrier & Lurcher owners this year so there definitely will be no profit from them in 2011!

Albertj

Albert these concessions you keep harping on about :whistling: be honest they're carrots hoping you'll entice more people through the gate :thumbs:

IF you dont have the stands or the lurcher and terrier shows how would that affect the gate? :hmm: FACT is people go to shows to see the stands and lurchers and terriers :thumbs: and you charge the stand holders and lurcher and terrier people the same as the public who come to see them :thumbs: they are after all the attraction of the show

Y.I.S Leeview

albert.how much is it to enter a class in the show on sunday.i dont race at shows with the curs i have theres no point but i like to enter a few classes for the hell of it

Kegs.

The club have set it at €5 and made the concession of effectively free racing on Saturday and I have matched this with the two day offer.

I am afraid thats it for 2011.

Albertj

thanks for the answer albert im not out hunting you or anything,some of the suggestions are a bit mad on here like but what do ya do,though would it not of made more sense for you and everyone to keep the two days seperate as youd of done better and took less flak ie saturday 3 euro per dog to race half to be split as prize half to the organizer, sunday 3 euro per dog per class usual prizes,everyone happy.im not tellin you how to do your job as you have been at it a while just tryin to help.anyone cryin about you makin money are foolin themselves as we know youve to make a profit but prizes we all know are mostly sponsered and thats great its just a law of averages you wont have half the folk racing than you have showing so in effect the club will do better on sunday at those prices than any one day show in the country.this is meant to help so good luck with your event and i might see you on the sunday kegs.