New International Lurcher Events

As well as the shows that Leeview pointed out that were outside the fair or free entry for lurchers & terriers the Gamekeepers Fair at Catton Park is also outside the main fair with the option to pay through to the main showground.

In my experience lurcher & terrier owners who attend to race & show seldom get further than the ringside anyway so its a lot to pay out for them

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You really do appear to have a rather odd 'chip on your shoulder' about something. I should have thought most lurcher owners would have welcomed fresh innovative competitions instead of inaccurate and

First of all, I'd like to apologise for taking this thread slightly off topic! but I feel I have to respond when the "Five Nations International Working Terrier Championship" has been mentioned! it wa

I can't understand all this craic about entrty fee's, to the fair, and to enter your Lurcher or Terrier to the show; I'd of thought it was dead simple.... if you don't like it.... don't go !! If the m

Regarding the gundog events - I have been to fairs where they have been taking part in what appear to be organised events/trials, sometimes as teams or clubs. Are these gundogs entered and paid for in advance of the show? Are the owners issued with free passes in this case or do people just turn up and enter on the day, having paid to get through the gate? The terrier/lurcher events I have seen appear to be just turn up and pay your money if you fancy going into the ring for a particular class?

There is no doubt about it, gamefairs can be an expensive day out, especially for families by the time they buy food etc.

I have been to shows where if you enter in advance, you get a free pass issued by post. I understand of course that this is extra administration etc.

As well as the shows that Leeview pointed out that were outside the fair or free entry for lurchers & terriers the Gamekeepers Fair at Catton Park is also outside the main fair with the option to pay through to the main showground.

In my experience lurcher & terrier owners who attend to race & show seldom get further than the ringside anyway so its a lot to pay out for them

Dukie,

That is the decision of those show organisers but what we have CONCENTRATED ON and will continue to do so is to give the terrier & lurchers their proper place amongst the other competitions with now equivalent or better competition prize structure while at the same time offering them a two shows for the price of one concession for Ballywalter and Shanes Castle. £10 for two events - can anyone tell me what game or country fairs offer terrier & lurcher owners ACTUALLY ENTERING the Fairs better admission rates?

For Shanes and Birr we also offer Terrier & Lurcher owners the unique concession of a two day ticket ordered in advance for the price of one day.

AlbertJ

Regarding the gundog events - I have been to fairs where they have been taking part in what appear to be organised events/trials, sometimes as teams or clubs. Are these gundogs entered and paid for in advance of the show? Are the owners issued with free passes in this case or do people just turn up and enter on the day, having paid to get through the gate? The terrier/lurcher events I have seen appear to be just turn up and pay your money if you fancy going into the ring for a particular class?

There is no doubt about it, gamefairs can be an expensive day out, especially for families by the time they buy food etc.

I have been to shows where if you enter in advance, you get a free pass issued by post. I understand of course that this is extra administration etc.

LF,

With regard to gundogs both happen. There are team events which are pre qualified such as our International team event at Shanes where this year we will have teams from the ROI , NI, Ulster Select , Wales and Holland. All have had a pre qualifying hear in their own juridiction so are given free tickets as part of their qualifying prize. If you read my initial post you will see that a similar proposal is made for our pre qualifying lurcher events except that they win FOUR free tickets.

Then of course there are gundog events that are entered on the day which are not pre qualified. They pay at the gate like everyone else.

AlbertJ

Dukie,

That is the decision of those show organisers but what we have CONCENTRATED ON and will continue to do so is to give the terrier & lurchers their proper place amongst the other competitions with now equivalent or better competition prize structure while at the same time offering them a two shows for the price of one concession for Ballywalter and Shanes Castle. £10 for two events - can anyone tell me what game or country fairs offer terrier & lurcher owners ACTUALLY ENTERING the Fairs better admission rates?

For Shanes and Birr we also offer Terrier & Lurcher owners the unique concession of a two day ticket ordered in advance for the price of one day.

AlbertJ

The point that I'm making is that at these shows outside the showground L&T owners have a choice to either enter the show or not. If my memory serves me correctly then i think that at the Living Heritage/ Lurcherworld shows competitors are allowed in at half price through a different gate but still on the showground.

Dukie,

AlbertJ

The point that I'm making is that at these shows outside the showground L&T owners have a choice to either enter the show or not. If my memory serves me correctly then i think that at the Living Heritage/ Lurcherworld shows competitors are allowed in at half price through a different gate but still on the showground.

Dukie,

I have taken the point you make.

Leeview started this point of FREE admission or staging the T&L events outside of the main fair. I have answered it several times by making it clear that it is a non starter.

I know some show organisers have chosen to either hide the T&Ls away in a side area or put them outside for various reasons not related to giving them a good deal! To my mind they should be part of the show like the gundogs, clay shooters, falconers, ferreters and anglers and that is INSIDE our fairs. As such they should be treated the same as all other competitors - in fact we are offering them half price admission if they want to come two days to Shanes or Birr ( a special concession) and and with our general Shanes /Ballywalter concession two shows for the price of one.

If we started to run all the competitive events outside of the fair there would be no fair as such. No one has answered my pointas to what other major fairs in the UK or Ireland give a better concession to T&Ls competing INSIDE the fair?

The concessions that I have put in place are the rates that will apply to oiur fairs in 2011. I feel they give the best deal to T&L competitors in Ireland and possibly the UK as well.

Albertj

Why do some people have to come on here and slate things people are tryin to do??

Albert I think the ideas you have are pretty damn good ones.. at least someone's tyring to keep our sport rather than letting it rott away?? I for one have been in lurchers since I was no height and the lurcher shows are what my life's based around.. We missed Shane's Castle last year and I don't intend to miss it this year agen..

I think having the Master McGrath Challenge is a brilliant idea?? Would people not want to compete and see who has the fastest dogs?? I for one would be honoured if one of my dogs even got to the final to compete... All this negativity just puts a dampner on things...

But I'll be attending whatever shows are on this year as will dad..

Good on ye Albert :thumbs:

BEFORE I READ ON IS THIS EVENT FOR LURCHERS OR NON PEDS OR AS YOU IRISH LIKE TO CALL THEM GREYHOUNDS,AS THATS WHAT MOST OF YOUR NON PEDS ARE BLOODY UN MARKED GREYHOUNDS AND NOW YOUR RUNING THEM ALL AT LURCHER SHOWS I SAY COMPLETLY UNFAIR

BUT BACK TO MY QUESTION IS THIS FOR LURCHERS ONLY??????

Is a nonped not a lurcher ? what do you class as a lurcher? am new to the sport just being showing and racing my dogs that I thought were lurchers for over six years now hope I have not been taking yous lurcher folk on :icon_redface: !!

Guest Leanne23

BEFORE I READ ON IS THIS EVENT FOR LURCHERS OR NON PEDS OR AS YOU IRISH LIKE TO CALL THEM GREYHOUNDS,AS THATS WHAT MOST OF YOUR NON PEDS ARE BLOODY UN MARKED GREYHOUNDS AND NOW YOUR RUNING THEM ALL AT LURCHER SHOWS I SAY COMPLETLY UNFAIR

BUT BACK TO MY QUESTION IS THIS FOR LURCHERS ONLY??????

Is a nonped not a lurcher ? what do you class as a lurcher? am new to the sport just being showing and racing my dogs that I thought were lurchers for over six years now hope I have not been taking yous lurcher folk on :icon_redface: !!

[/qu

Definition:

hunting dog: a long-limbed crossbred dog that has predominant greyhound features, especially one used by poachers for catching rabbits.

• 2 weeks later...

well albert the show season is nearly here and youre back with a bang.well done on the competitions though id still like to know why you charge so much a class as youve never answered.i know you said you dont get the money but the club that does the show gets it.id just like to know the reason it was 5 euro in a class

Deemac,

I had a meeting with the Mid Antrim Terrier & Lurcher Club yesterday and we hammered out what I think is a package of 'improved terms' for terrier & lurcher enthusiasts. To be frank while some have thought the €5 a class was steep - it still is much cheaper than any other competition at the fair. And the entrant has the choice of how many dogs he or she enters and in how many classes they enter them.

What I was trying to do in the discussions was to arrive at a compromise where the BASIC cost of competing and admission to the fair was reduced whereby someone could run their dog one day, show it the next and enjoyy two days at the Fair.

The following has been decided:

Saturday racing 27th August :

All racing will be run as a sweepstake. Fees will be €2 per entry with the winner in the Whippets, Terriers , Under and over 23" lurchers taking ALL of the entry money in that paricular class. i.e 30 over 23" lurchers run - winner gets €60 I will also provide a tankard for the winners and the club will provide rosettes for winner & runner up. AND all people running dogs on Saturday will receive a FREE admission ticket to the fair on Sunday.

So you can run your dog on Saturday, enter it in a show class on Sunday and have two days at the ROI's top countrysports event for €22.

Albertj

Edited by AlbertJ

well albert the show season is nearly here and youre back with a bang.well done on the competitions though id still like to know why you charge so much a class as youve never answered.i know you said you dont get the money but the club that does the show gets it.id just like to know the reason it was 5 euro in a class

Deemac,

I had a meeting with the Mid Antrim Terrier & Lurcher Club yesterday and we hammered out what I think is a package of 'improved terms' for terrier & lurcher enthusiasts. To be frank while some have thought the €5 a class was steep - it still is much cheaper than any other competition at the fair. And the entrant has the choice of how many dogs he or she enters and in how many classes they enter them.

What I was trying to do in the discussions was to arrive at a compromise where the BASIC cost of competing and admission to the fair was reduced whereby someone could run their dog one day, show it the next and enjoyy two days at the Fair.

The following has been decided:

Saturday racing 27th August :

All racing will be run as a sweepstake. Fees will be €2 per entry with the winner in the Whippets, Terriers , Under and over 23" lurchers taking ALL of the entry money in that paricular class. i.e 30 over 23" lurchers run - winner gets €60 I will also provide a tankard for the winners and the club will provide rosettes for winner & runner up. AND all people running dogs on Saturday will receive a FREE admission ticket to the fair on Sunday.

So you can run your dog on Saturday, enter it in a show class on Sunday and have two days at the ROI's top countrysports event for €22.

Albertj

good man albert,yet again youve missed the point,i asked why a class at birr had to pay 5 euro when it was 3 sterling,exchange rate has nothing to do with it as im waiting for you to answer this since last year when the rate was only a differance of a few pence at the time,i take it the members of the club wont answer for them selves then as you defend them again. maybe this year they might even get a few new judges that arent members of their own club. again albert its nothing personal still just lookin a simple answer to a simple question.not three pages lol

Dukie,

AlbertJ

there seems to alot of talk of free entry or half price for those with dogs competing what other shoe or event offers a discount for competors prehahaps it might be an idea if those advertising show and events let us know the entry fee in adavance and how much per class we would arrive at the gate with the proper entery fee speeding up the tail back on the gate

Dukie,

AlbertJ

there seems to alot of talk of free entry or half price for those with dogs competing what other shoe or event offers a discount for competors prehahaps it might be an idea if those advertising show and events let us know the entry fee in adavance and how much per class we would arrive at the gate with the proper entery fee speeding up the tail back on the gate

Pigsy - Fair point - the concessions I have made have got some of our team lost! But at least it proves we are sympathetic to fellow country sports people in this recession!

So TO SUMMARISE :

Admission price to the Ballywalter Game Fair on Saturday 30th April and Sunday 1st May ( T&L Sunday) but main ring demos both days is £10 per Audult and £25 per family - parking & programme FREE. Anyone purchasing either a family ticket or Adult ticket at Ballywalter gets an equivalent FREE ticket for Ireland's top Game Fair at Shanes Castle. So two fairs for the price of one!

Admission price for the Irish Game Fair at Shanes Castle 25th June ( Terrier & Lurcher racing including final of Master Mc Grath Challenge) ) and Sunday 26th ( All Ireland Terrier & Lurcher Championships) is £10 per Adult and £25 per family - parking & programme FREE. Anyone who wants to purchase a TWO DAY pass can do so but this is payable in advance to me by the end of May. Main arena terrier & lurcher demos both days.

Admission price for the Irish Game and Country Fair at Birr Castle Saturday 27th August ( Terrier & Lurcher Racing ) and Sunday 28th ( ROI Terrier & Lurcher Championships plus final of the Five Nations International Lurcher Championships) is €15 Adult €35 per family - parking & programme FREE. Anyone entering a dog in the racing on Saturday gets a FREE ticket for Sunday. Main arena terrier & lurcher demos both days.

So you can now get your money ready although with the interest we have had for all three events this year we won't guarantee that you won't have to queue a little time!

Albertj

Edited by AlbertJ

Dukie,

AlbertJ

Pigsy - Fair point - the concessions I have made have got some of our team lost! But at least it proves we are sympathetic to fellow country sports people in this recession!

So TO SUMMARISE :

Admission price to the Ballywalter Game Fair on Saturday 30th April and Sunday 1st May ( T&L Sunday) but main ring demos both days is £10 per Audult and £25 per family - parking & programme FREE. Anyone purchasing either a family ticket or Adult ticket at Ballywalter gets an equivalent FREE ticket for Ireland's top Game Fair at Shanes Castle. So two fairs for the price of one!

Admission price for the Irish Game Fair at Shanes Castle 25th June ( Terrier & Lurcher racing including final of Master Mc Grath Challenge) ) and Sunday 26th ( All Ireland Terrier & Lurcher Championships) is £10 per Adult and £25 per family - parking & programme FREE. Anyone who wants to purchase a TWO DAY pass can do so but this is payable in advance to me by the end of May. Main arena terrier & lurcher demos both days.

Admission price for the Irish Game and Country Fair at Birr Castle Saturday 27th August ( Terrier & Lurcher Racing ) and Sunday 28th ( ROI Terrier & Lurcher Championships plus final of the Five Nations International Lurcher Championships) is €15 Adult €35 per family - parking & programme FREE. Anyone entering a dog in the racing on Saturday gets a FREE ticket for Sunday. Main arena terrier & lurcher demos both days.

So you can now get your money ready although with the interest we have had for all three events this year we won't guarantee that you won't have to queue a little time!

Albertj

how much to enter a class at these shows