New International Lurcher Events

Lee,

You have now come up with one suggestion that I will address ( briefly!!!).

It is totally impractical for anyone to organise shows and give free admission. Where would it end? If there was no gate there would be no show.

IYO :whistling: DO PEOPLE GO TO YOUR SHOWS TO SEE THE LURCHERS AND TERRIERS OR LOOK ROUND THE STALLS? CONNECTION EITHER WAY THE STALLS AND LURCHERS AND TERRIERS HAVE PAID TO BE THERE :thumbs: AND THEN ONCE THE LURCHERS AND TERRIERS ARE THERE THEY GET CHARGED ANOTHER 5EUROS PER CLASS PER DOG :blink:

What we do is make valuable concessions to sportmen in general:

1. A Free ticket with a year's subscription to Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine: Thats a year's magazine posted to you and a free ticket for £15.

Or

2. If you purchase a ticket at Ballywalter ( £10) you get a free ticket for Shanes Castle. Meaning admission for each show just £5. What do you get for £5 now? £1 of this goes to the VAT man - £4 towards the running of the show!

DO YOUR SHOW ORGANISERS PAY VAT ON ENTRIES?

OR

3. Specially for Lurcher and terrier guys who want to compete/go both days at Shanes or Birr a SPECIAL concession

of both days for the price of one.

Now you have singled our shows out for critism but can you tell me of any other major Game or Country Fair that has better concessions for terrier & lurcher owners?

BROUGHTON HALL GAME FAIR USED TO HAVE THE LURCHER AND TERRIER SHOW OUTSIDE THE GAME FAIR ALLOWING THE OWNERS TO HAVE A SHOW WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY TO GET INTO THE GAME FAIR ITSELF NOW THERES A POSITIVE IDEA? DUNCOMBE PARK ALSO HAD A LURCHER AND TERRIER ENTRANTS GOT IN FREE AND RINGSIDE PARKING :thumbs: WELL THATS 2 TO BE GOING ON WITH

OK THIS 5 NATION CHAMPIONSHIP HOW ABOUT EACH COUNTRY HOSTING IT ONCE EVERY 5YRS IN ROTATION?

Y.I.S Leeview

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You really do appear to have a rather odd 'chip on your shoulder' about something. I should have thought most lurcher owners would have welcomed fresh innovative competitions instead of inaccurate and

First of all, I'd like to apologise for taking this thread slightly off topic! but I feel I have to respond when the "Five Nations International Working Terrier Championship" has been mentioned! it wa

I can't understand all this craic about entrty fee's, to the fair, and to enter your Lurcher or Terrier to the show; I'd of thought it was dead simple.... if you don't like it.... don't go !! If the m

albert fella first well done on your events as its hard work.not to join the witch hunt as i march my own road but will you answer about the ring price.myself and deemac01 went round a few last season and i have to say there were far better prizes at some of the smaller events. i see that mourne show is a qualifier for your racing,that was a great day though along run for us but that lad had some lot of big trophies for winning and it was £4.00 a car and 2.oo a class and i was lookin back there he made near a grand for charity,tullylish was a great day also and not to dear so if that club that runs yours isnt making good money at £3 or 5euro then you should get someone else to do it.theres a poll on here that voted on the shows last year.howd yous do on it? what you need to do when lookin at the showing end fella is think of it without a gamefair attached to the side of it and judge it against the ordinary show in a field. The problem is i think the faults that the ones on here are talking about are problems in the ring which are caused by the ones running it and not actully yourself though they wont come on and answer for themselves,anyhow well done for being on here after all the slagging you take,though you do bring some of it on yourself :yes: and keep up the good work as youll get there eventually.yours in sport.

wee keg

Lee,

You have now come up with one suggestion that I will address ( briefly!!!).

It is totally impractical for anyone to organise shows and give free admission. Where would it end? If there was no gate there would be no show.

IYO :whistling: DO PEOPLE GO TO YOUR SHOWS TO SEE THE LURCHERS AND TERRIERS OR LOOK ROUND THE STALLS? CONNECTION EITHER WAY THE STALLS AND LURCHERS AND TERRIERS HAVE PAID TO BE THERE :thumbs: AND THEN ONCE THE LURCHERS AND TERRIERS ARE THERE THEY GET CHARGED ANOTHER 5EUROS PER CLASS PER DOG :blink:

What we do is make valuable concessions to sportmen in general:

1. A Free ticket with a year's subscription to Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine: Thats a year's magazine posted to you and a free ticket for £15.

Or

2. If you purchase a ticket at Ballywalter ( £10) you get a free ticket for Shanes Castle. Meaning admission for each show just £5. What do you get for £5 now? £1 of this goes to the VAT man - £4 towards the running of the show!

DO YOUR SHOW ORGANISERS PAY VAT ON ENTRIES?

OR

3. Specially for Lurcher and terrier guys who want to compete/go both days at Shanes or Birr a SPECIAL concession

of both days for the price of one.

Now you have singled our shows out for critism but can you tell me of any other major Game or Country Fair that has better concessions for terrier & lurcher owners?

BROUGHTON HALL GAME FAIR USED TO HAVE THE LURCHER AND TERRIER SHOW OUTSIDE THE GAME FAIR ALLOWING THE OWNERS TO HAVE A SHOW WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY TO GET INTO THE GAME FAIR ITSELF NOW THERES A POSITIVE IDEA? DUNCOMBE PARK ALSO HAD A LURCHER AND TERRIER ENTRANTS GOT IN FREE AND RINGSIDE PARKING :thumbs: WELL THATS 2 TO BE GOING ON WITH

OK THIS 5 NATION CHAMPIONSHIP HOW ABOUT EACH COUNTRY HOSTING IT ONCE EVERY 5YRS IN ROTATION?

Y.I.S Leeview

Lee,

Your one suggestion was FREE entry. I have indicated this is totally impractical. I indicated what we actually do in terms of admission concessions AND THOSE SPECIALLY FOR TERRIER & LURCHER OWNERS. And challenged you to name any other Game Fair organiser that gives greater concessions for people ACTUALLY ENTERING THE FAIR. We believe in having our competitions INSIDE the fair and in a good location rather than hidden away. You have mentioned two that may have in the past had a concession BEFORE you entered the fair.

My challenge remains unanswered.

Albertj

albert at the end of the day we all want a good gamefair no matter who run it.i know i gave you plenty of stick last year but i did my best to improve the terrier section with you.the three main issue in my opinion you wont admit that there were a problem with travellers and the entrance fee plus entering a dog in ring remenber ireland is deep in recession people cant afford to pay 20 euro entrance 5 euro a dog in ring food petrol and maybe buy somthing on the stalls the welsh gamefair dont charge what ye charge its ten times the gamefair as birr take this as consturctive critism

Five Nations International Lurcher Championship

In line with our GREAT GAME FAIRS of IRELAND objective of giving Ireland's terrier & lurcher enthusiasts the opportunity of competing with the best on Irish soil, we are following last year's Five Nations International Terrier Championship with a Five Nations International Lurcher Championship with its final at Birr Castle on Sunday 28th August 2011. This will have a prize fund in excess of €1,000 and all qualifiers will receive a donation towards their expenses. All qualifiers will also receive a year's subscription to the Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine, a 25th Anniversary Irish Countrysports and Country Life Tankard and 4 tickets to the Birr Castle Event. Please contact me on irishgamefair@btinternet.com if you would like your show (from anywhere in the UK or Ireland to be a qualifie). We already have five qualifiers in place so first come first served.

The Master McGrath Challenge

Since a boy I have been interested in the exploits of this great Irish dog and have been collecting memorabilia for several years.

When we were thinking of a new Irish lurcher racing challenge I felt it most appropriate to call it the 'Master Mc Grath Challenge'. The objective is to find the fastest dog in the UK and Ireland and to set a British & Irish record for a distance of 150 yards.

The first heats for this will take at John Dicker's Show in Kilkenny and the Ballywalter Game & Country Living Fair on the 1st May followed by the Mourne Show on the 15th May. Top two dogs to qualify from each show over the normal distance of the qualifying event - this may vary from show to show. The final heat and Grand Final will take place at Ireland's largest Game Fair at Shanes Castle on Saturday 25th June 2011. The top dog at each qualifying event will receive a year's subscription to the Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine,a 25th Anniversary Irish Countrysports and Country Life Tankard and 4 tickets to the Shanes Castle Event plus there will be specially commissioned Master Mc Grath commemmorative scrolls for the top two qualifying dogs at each event.

The Master McGrath final will see dogs competing for a prize fund of over €1,000. Once again we should like applications from shows anywhere in the UK or Ireland to host qualifiers. Please contact me on irishgamefair@btinternet.com.

Albertj

BEFORE I READ ON IS THIS EVENT FOR LURCHERS OR NON PEDS OR AS YOU IRISH LIKE TO CALL THEM GREYHOUNDS,AS THATS WHAT MOST OF YOUR NON PEDS ARE BLOODY UN MARKED GREYHOUNDS AND NOW YOUR RUNING THEM ALL AT LURCHER SHOWS I SAY COMPLETLY UNFAIR

BUT BACK TO MY QUESTION IS THIS FOR LURCHERS ONLY??????

Five Nations International Lurcher Championship

In line with our GREAT GAME FAIRS of IRELAND objective of giving Ireland's terrier & lurcher enthusiasts the opportunity of competing with the best on Irish soil, we are following last year's Five Nations International Terrier Championship with a Five Nations International Lurcher Championship with its final at Birr Castle on Sunday 28th August 2011. This will have a prize fund in excess of €1,000 and all qualifiers will receive a donation towards their expenses. All qualifiers will also receive a year's subscription to the Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine, a 25th Anniversary Irish Countrysports and Country Life Tankard and 4 tickets to the Birr Castle Event. Please contact me on irishgamefair@btinternet.com if you would like your show (from anywhere in the UK or Ireland to be a qualifie). We already have five qualifiers in place so first come first served.

The Master McGrath Challenge

Since a boy I have been interested in the exploits of this great Irish dog and have been collecting memorabilia for several years.

When we were thinking of a new Irish lurcher racing challenge I felt it most appropriate to call it the 'Master Mc Grath Challenge'. The objective is to find the fastest dog in the UK and Ireland and to set a British & Irish record for a distance of 150 yards.

The first heats for this will take at John Dicker's Show in Kilkenny and the Ballywalter Game & Country Living Fair on the 1st May followed by the Mourne Show on the 15th May. Top two dogs to qualify from each show over the normal distance of the qualifying event - this may vary from show to show. The final heat and Grand Final will take place at Ireland's largest Game Fair at Shanes Castle on Saturday 25th June 2011. The top dog at each qualifying event will receive a year's subscription to the Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine,a 25th Anniversary Irish Countrysports and Country Life Tankard and 4 tickets to the Shanes Castle Event plus there will be specially commissioned Master Mc Grath commemmorative scrolls for the top two qualifying dogs at each event.

The Master McGrath final will see dogs competing for a prize fund of over €1,000. Once again we should like applications from shows anywhere in the UK or Ireland to host qualifiers. Please contact me on irishgamefair@btinternet.com.

Albertj

BEFORE I READ ON IS THIS EVENT FOR LURCHERS OR NON PEDS OR AS YOU IRISH LIKE TO CALL THEM GREYHOUNDS,AS THATS WHAT MOST OF YOUR NON PEDS ARE BLOODY UN MARKED GREYHOUNDS AND NOW YOUR RUNING THEM ALL AT LURCHER SHOWS I SAY COMPLETLY UNFAIR

BUT BACK TO MY QUESTION IS THIS FOR LURCHERS ONLY??????

LURCHERS ONLY

albert at the end of the day we all want a good gamefair no matter who run it.i know i gave you plenty of stick last year but i did my best to improve the terrier section with you.the three main issue in my opinion you wont admit that there were a problem with travellers and the entrance fee plus entering a dog in ring remenber ireland is deep in recession people cant afford to pay 20 euro entrance 5 euro a dog in ring food petrol and maybe buy somthing on the stalls the welsh gamefair dont charge what ye charge its ten times the gamefair as birr take this as consturctive critism

Fionn,

In general I have enjoyed our robust exchanges and have acted on some of your positive suggestions.

To answer your three points:

1. I was at the terrier lurcher rings at Birr on Sunday four times myself - as anyone who was actually there can confirm. Were you there? I did not see any problems and non were reported to the garda who were present or our security staff. A report of a pup being stolen was made to me. That was the only problem reported DURING the fair. If problems are not reported we cannot deal with them. I had reports of people being hassled made AFTER the fair. It would appear that most of these , although not all were anecdotal, by people who had 'heard' about it.

Our investigations have indicated that there were at most a dozen guys trying to buy dogs. Whether these people were 'travellers' or not I do not know. I have apologised to the couple of people who have come forward who felt slightly intimidated by this BUT there were no reports of altercations or physical threats. As I said in my post we have put new security arrangements in place to deal with what was a minor problem in the overall scheme of things ( although obviously not to those who felt in any way intimidated). But there were no widespread problems at the fair as the garda report will confirm - in fact it actually states - ' happy crowd - no trouble whatsover!'

2. Our entrance fee for Birr is €15 NOT €20 of which we lose 13.5% in VAT - possible soon more. As you are aware I have reacted to the recession in the Northern shows which are directly under my control in that we have admission to both Ballywalter & Shanes for £10 for the two. Tell me what other fair of any size is better value?

I am one of four directors in Birr so can influence but not dictate although I have persuaded them to agree to let LUCHER & TERRIER OWNERS have a special CONCESSION of a two day ticket purchased in advance for €15. Again can you tell me of any other Fair of any size that gives such a concession.

Although this particular thread is dominated by terrier & lurcher folk Game Fairs are about a lot more than T &Ls.

I have tried to be ultra fair to T & L owners but I run events for ALL field sports people and the fairs if they are to continue must 'wash their faces'. I repeat I do not receive any money from competitive events that goes to the organising club be it T&L. clay shooting, gundogs, angling etc.

Now is it too much to ask you to give these new competitions a chance?

Albertj

Lee,

Your one suggestion was FREE entry.

OK DID YOU MISS MY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT A WORKING LURCHER EVENT?

I have indicated this is totally impractical. I indicated what we actually do in terms of admission concessions AND THOSE SPECIALLY FOR TERRIER & LURCHER OWNERS. And challenged you to name any other Game Fair organiser that gives greater concessions for people ACTUALLY ENTERING THE FAIR.

I NAMED 2 SUCH COUNTRY FAIRS NOT JUST ONE :thumbs: "ACTUALLY ENTERING THE FAIR" WAS N'T PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED WAS IT?

We believe in having our competitions INSIDE the fair and in a good location rather than hidden away. You have mentioned two that may have in the past had a concession BEFORE you entered the fair.

WHY IS THERE NO RACING FOR GUNDOGS WITH SIMILAR PRIZE MONEY? LURCHERS ARE WORKING DOGS SO WHY LIMIT THEM TO RACING WHICH IS NOT WHAT THEY DO OUT IN THE FIELD.

NOT IF YOU READ MY POSTS PROPERLY

Albertj

Y.I.S Leeview

Lee,

Your one suggestion was FREE entry.

OK DID YOU MISS MY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT A WORKING LURCHER EVENT?

I have indicated this is totally impractical. I indicated what we actually do in terms of admission concessions AND THOSE SPECIALLY FOR TERRIER & LURCHER OWNERS. And challenged you to name any other Game Fair organiser that gives greater concessions for people ACTUALLY ENTERING THE FAIR.

I NAMED 2 SUCH COUNTRY FAIRS NOT JUST ONE :thumbs: "ACTUALLY ENTERING THE FAIR" WAS N'T PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED WAS IT?

We believe in having our competitions INSIDE the fair and in a good location rather than hidden away. You have mentioned two that may have in the past had a concession BEFORE you entered the fair.

WHY IS THERE NO RACING FOR GUNDOGS WITH SIMILAR PRIZE MONEY? LURCHERS ARE WORKING DOGS SO WHY LIMIT THEM TO RACING WHICH IS NOT WHAT THEY DO OUT IN THE FIELD.

NOT IF YOU READ MY POSTS PROPERLY

Albertj

Y.I.S Leeview

Lee,

I will certainly look at any ideas you have for a working lurcher event.

We do have a speed event for gundogs - it's called a scurry.

AND if you want to walk about outside a game fair for FREE I am happy to let you do so! BUT for those genuine country sports people who want a good day out at a game or country fair and the chance to compete for good prizes I don't think there are any better admission prices than ours to be had in the UK or Ireland.

Albertj

i take it im gettin ignored then albert as im still waitin a year on for a simple answer to a simple question.kegs your on the must be ignored list now to.im not lookin free tickets or subs to your mag just a straight answer

Dee,

Sorry not ignoring you. I intend to address your query with Seamus when I next see him.

I repeat that I or the other directors do not get any of the class entry fees But even at €5 per class this is less expensive than the gundogs or clays entries and similar to the angling. I do not ask any of the organising clubs what they do with the money but do encourage them to use it for development of the sport or at least make a donation to charity.

Last year FISSTA ( angling) raised over €4,000 from the magazine/fair and ALL of that was put straight into developing thie schools programme.

I will cpome back to you on this.

Albertj

i take it im gettin ignored then albert as im still waitin a year on for a simple answer to a simple question.kegs your on the must be ignored list now to.im not lookin free tickets or subs to your mag just a straight answer

Dee,

Sorry not ignoring you. I intend to address your query with Seamus when I next see him.

I repeat that I or the other directors do not get any of the class entry fees But even at €5 per class this is less expensive than the gundogs or clays entries and similar to the angling. I do not ask any of the organising clubs what they do with the money but do encourage them to use it for development of the sport or at least make a donation to charity.

Last year FISSTA ( angling) raised over €4,000 from the magazine/fair and ALL of that was put straight into developing thie schools programme.

I will cpome back to you on this.

Albertj

i know youve said you dont get the entries.the mid antrim club that does has from what i can gather about 5 members the same 5 that divide judging and ring duties this last 3 or four years the only new innovation that club seems to come up with is ladies and gents classes for more fivers.

Lee,

I will certainly look at any ideas you have for a working lurcher event.

We do have a speed event for gundogs - it's called a scurry.

:wallbash::wallbash: HOORAH NOW WHAT IS A SCURRY?SOMETHING SIMILAR TO WHAT THE GUNDOGS DO OUT WORKING :thumbs: SO WHERE DO LURCHERS RACE APART FROM SHOWS? I'LL ANSWER THAT FOR YOU THEY DONT :thumbs:

AND if you want to walk about outside a game fair for FREE I am happy to let you do so!

SO HAND ON HEART YOU WANT ME TO PAY TO COME IN :thumbs: ON TOP OF FUEL ITS COST ME TO GET THERE AND THEN YOU WANT ME TO PAY AN ENTRY FEE FOR ENTERING MY DOGS AS WELL :hmm:

BUT for those genuine country sports people who want a good day out at a game or country fair and the chance to compete for good prizes I don't think there are any better admission prices than ours to be had in the UK or Ireland.

Albertj

Y.I.S Leeview