New International Lurcher Events

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LB8ugXco88

What was the thinking behind the distance of the master mcgrath?? 150 yards is quite short and not suited to the vast majority of lurchers. It will suit the under 23 but not the over I would have thought a 250 yards race would have been a better choice. I seen full whippets straight race over 125 yards i am under the impression this is the norm for a straight race?? Is master mc graths statue and grave not in Lurgan?? My best mate used to drive the lads nuts playing this and singing along on the way to far away hunting ground. I think it is a poor choice of name for a lurcher competiton. But you know what?Albert you are not one of us but at least you are making an effort to reach out to the lurcher and terrier people. If you could just tone down the big long winded formal replies and chat like regular people you would do much better.

Irish folk song Master McGrath

Eighteen sixty-nine being the date of the year

The Waterloo sportsman, they all did appear

To win the great prize and to bear it away

Never counting on Ireland and Master McGrath

On the twelfth of December

that day of renoun

McGrath and his keeper

They left Lurgan Town

on the thirtenth they landed

on Englands fair sore.

And when they arrived there in London town

The great English sportsman they did gather round

One of the gentlemen gave an, "Ha ha

Is that the great dog you call Master McGrath?"

Lord Lurgon stepped forward and he said, "Gentlemen,

If there are any among you have money to spend,

For your great English greyhound I don't care a straw.

Five thousand to one upon Master MlcGrath."

White Rose stood uncovered, the great English pride -

Her trainer and owner were both by her side.

They led her away and the crowd cried, "Hurrah!"

For the pride of all England and Master McGrath.

As Rose and the Master, they both ran along,

"I wonder," said Rose, "What took you from your home.

You should have stayed there in your Irish domain

And not come to gain laurels on Albion's plains."

"I know," said McGrath, "We have wild heather bogs,

But you'll find in old Ireland we have good men and dogs.

Lead on, bold Britannia, give none of your jaw;

Snuff that up your nostrils," said Master McCrath.

The hare she led on, what a beautiful view,

As swift as the wind o'er the green fields she flew.

He jumped on her back and he held up his paw;

"Three cheers for old Ireland," said Master McGrath.

I've known many greyhounds that filled me with pride

In the days that are gone and it can't be denied,

But the greatest and the bravest the world ever saw

Was our champion of champions, brave Master McGrath

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You really do appear to have a rather odd 'chip on your shoulder' about something. I should have thought most lurcher owners would have welcomed fresh innovative competitions instead of inaccurate and

First of all, I'd like to apologise for taking this thread slightly off topic! but I feel I have to respond when the "Five Nations International Working Terrier Championship" has been mentioned! it wa

I can't understand all this craic about entrty fee's, to the fair, and to enter your Lurcher or Terrier to the show; I'd of thought it was dead simple.... if you don't like it.... don't go !! If the m

What was the thinking behind the distance of the master mcgrath?? 150 yards is quite short and not suited to the vast majority of lurchers. It will suit the under 23 but not the over I would have thought a 250 yards race would have been a better choice. I seen full whippets straight race over 125 yards i am under the impression this is the norm for a straight race?? Is master mc graths statue and grave not in Lurgan?? My best mate used to drive the lads nuts playing this and singing along on the way to far away hunting ground. I think it is a poor choice of name for a lurcher competiton. But you know what?Albert you are not one of us but at least you are making an effort to reach out to the lurcher and terrier people. If you could just tone down the big long winded formal replies and chat like regular people you would do much better.

that day of renoun

McGrath and his keeper

They left Lurgan Town

on Englands fair sore.

Perhaps you will sing this for us at Ballwalter or Shanes!

Albertj

I went over to Birr last year, (I judged the Whippet Show), from Newcastle, (a fair owld trip !), and had the best four days at a Lurcher Show/Game Fair that I've ever had ! Over twenty of us stayed in Ballycommon and had the time of our lives !! I fished in the Grand Canal, and was taken out by a local land owner and a farmer to see a few hares ! We had three tremendous nights in the local pub and made freinds with a lot of local lads and lasses ! The Lurcher show itself wasn't the bast I've been to, as far as entries, but it was an experience to see the Game Fowl, Strong Dogs, Lurchers, Terriers, Spaniels, Beagles, etc, for sale !!! The Fair was VERY good, as in the stalls mainly catered for the Huntin', Shootin', Fishing fraternity. I was asked twice by "travellers" to sell my dogs, but a simple "no" was the end of it ! Quite a few people at the show stopped me to talk about the dogs breeding, etc, and I enjoyed the craic ! I'm hoping to make it this year, as a competitor, and will probably stretch it to a weeks trip. I have to commend Albert for trying to bring new Lurcher Show formats, and if the Sx Nations Lurcher Championship is as succesful as the Terrier one, it will be worth it. As far as the Master MgRath Racing Championship.... Hmmm..... to many people with 7/8th, 15/16th and even 31/32nd Greyhound crosses trying to win "Lurcher" races for genuine working Lurchers to have a chance. But best of luck with both ventures, hope they are very succesful !!

Cheers.

• Like 1

that day of renoun

McGrath and his keeper

They left Lurgan Town

on Englands fair sore.

Perhaps you will sing this for us at Ballwalter or Shanes!

Albertj

get me a pair pf free tickets and I will get my mate to lip synch it for you.

whos to say what is & isnt a lurcher can you run a first x whp grey or a pure whp or a greyhound with no ear tatts just want to know what poor misfortunate is goin to decide who runs on the day ?

The decision on who qualifies is down to the organisers of the qualifying events. However this is a decision that has to be made at every show where there is racing so its nothing new.

First of all, I'd like to apologise for taking this thread slightly off topic! but I feel I have to respond when the "Five Nations International Working Terrier Championship" has been mentioned! it was me that came up with the concept and the idea of such a competition!!, I also had to find finance and sponsorship for the same. This competition was never conceived as a money making exercise but only as a vehicle to promote the working terrier in the main ring at major game-fairs!, I personally ended up using my own financial rescources to fund part of this venture as did many others, as also did the sponsors. Every sponsor deserves and expects some return for their input wether it recognition, advertising or sales relating to an event

Albert J and the Great Game-Fairs of Ireland showed a commitment to the event by offering me a wonderfull sponsorship deal and finance I could only dream off! he showed! and came up with the goods when asked for! and never quibbled or detracted from his original sponsorship deal. At the end of the day he's a business man running fairs and out to make a profit! I was sickened by some of the unfair criticism directed at the five nations competition it was supossed to be about dogs not venue's!!

I've attended Birr, Moria etc: and would never comment one is better than the other It is also not my remit to slag off any sponsor on how their business is run! I owe AlbertJ a debt of gratitude! because he stepped up to the plate when I needed it! I hope future game-fair organisers do the same

Criticise game-fairs and their organisers if you like! but the buck stops with me for "THE FIVE NATIONS INTERNATIONAL WORKING TERRIER CHAMPIONSHIP" mistakes were made with regards to organising! but the final and judging were as straight as a die!! the last thing I'll say is that it was a massive learning curve for me personally!

Tom

Ps: No monies were earned by me while involved in the event, sponsors do and rightly expect a return for their investment!

Tom,

WELL SAID.

The Five Nations Terrier Championship was a fantastic idea which I was very happy to adopt and work with you on.

You gave 100% commitment to its delivery and I know that you put money, time and effort into helping deliver a very successful event which was very well received by the crowd at Birr.

Some very smart dogs were paraded at Birr and while everyone can be a 'ringside' judge there was a worthy winner.

AlbertJ

well albert the show season is nearly here and youre back with a bang.well done on the competitions though id still like to know why you charge so much a class as youve never answered.i know you said you dont get the money but the club that does the show gets it.id just like to know the reason it was 5 euro in a class

Lee,

Once again you come up with nothing positive - let us have your ideas on what YOU think lurcher owners want.

APOLOGIES ONCE AGAIN FOR THE CAPITALS. IN THE END ONE OWNER IS GOING TO BE VERY HAPPY WITH YOUR MONEY :whistling: SO WHY NOT LET THE LURCHER EXHIBITORS HAVE FREE ENTRY? THAT WILL ENSURE MANY MORE FEEL AS THOUGH THEY ARE PART OF YOUR SHOWS :thumbs: CROKE PARK DO THE FINAL TEAM PLAYERS HAVE TO PAY TO GET IN?

I have spoken to several and they are in favour of the competitions as outlined. In 2010 we were not only satisfied but delighted with our attendances at the events we organised : 1. We rescued the Ballywalter Fair with a good crowd who enjoyed the reviralised event. 2. We had record crowds at Shanes Castle for any Irish Game Fair ever and Birr had a record crowd fpor any fair in the ROI. Am I complacent - never - which is why even after 33 years of Fairs I still try to innovate. Anyone who know me knows that I never settle for 'second best'.

YOU HAVE SPOKEN TO SEVERAL AND THEY ARE IN FAVOUR OF THE COMPETITIONS AS OUTLINED :whistling: I BET THEY ALL HAVE FAST DOGS THAT RACE ALL SUMMER LONG. YOU SAY YOU WERE SATISFIED WITH 2010 ATTENDANCIES AND END WITH YOU "NEVER SETTLE FOR SECOND BEST" DO A POLL ON HERE AND ASK THESE LADS THEIR VIEWS WETHER THEY WOULD ATTEND 1,IF IT WAS FREE ADMISSION 2,IF THERE WAS £1,000 TO THE WINNER?

To me life is all about aspirations and setting goals. When one aspiration is achieved I set a new one. That is what the Master Mc Grath Challenge is all about - to celebrate a great Irish sporting icon by giving Irish lurcher oweners the chance to aspire to competing in, and winning a prestigious competition on Irish soil.

WITH YOUR VAST KNOWLEDGE OF MASTER MCGRATH WHAT DID HE EVER WIN ON IRISH SOIL :whistling:

If you don't like it you don't have to compete but please don't by your negativity try to spoil the aspirations of people competing in and perhaps winning such a competition.

THES ASPIRATIONS OF WORKING LURCHER OWNERS DO YOU THINK WINNING YOUR COMPETITION MEANS THEY HAVE A BETTER DOG ON RABBIT,HARE OR FOX? OR JUST A FASTER DOG THAT CHASES A RAG AND THE OWNER WALKS AWAY WITH £1,000 IF THEY'RE THAT GOOD THERE'S TRACKS TO RUN ON ALL OVER THE COUNTRY :thumbs:

With regards to competitions entry fees, as with all our competitions, the club or organisation organising the events take all the entry fees towards expenses and club/organisation funds. We do request that they donate some of the profits to a worthy cause.

I look forward to some positive input from you. I do like the quote you have at the bottom of your posts - if I was unkind I could say it is a bit of a pity that you don't practice it.

THANK YOU,ONCE AGAIN YOUR COMPLACENCY LEADS YOU TO BELIEVE THE FIRST LINE APPLIES TO YOU :tongue2:

Another for you : 'There are none so blind as those who will not see...'

I am now finishing this conversation unless I see positive practical & workable suggestions from you.

I invite you to come as my guest to see the success of the two competitions and the true and justifiable pride in ownership of the winner of the inaugural event.

Albertj

FAST DOGS CHASING LURES I CAN SEE ON THE TRACKS WHENEVER THE FANCY TAKES NOW IF IT WAS A WORKING EVENT LURCHERS DOING WHAT THEY ARE MEANT TO DO OUT IN THE FIELD BIT SIMILAR TO THE GUNDOGS DO AT YOUR SHOWS NOW THAT WOULD BE WORTH SEEING :thumbs:

Y.I.S Leeview

We are losing shows and fairs all over the place due to things like the increase in vat and the price of fuel,traders are being undercut by the internet. we are being threatened by politicians and antis if you dont fancy a show don't go but if you do go and its not up to scratch contact the organisers and tell them your views most show organisers have meeting after the show and criticism is as welcome as praise if its justified and constuctive because if the showpeople don't know its wrong they can't fix it. This site is murder for people coming on and denigrating shows and some people (not on this post)seem to be totally negative in their comments.REMEMBER THIS ONCE A SHOW GETS CANCELLED IT VERY RARELLY RETURNS ENJOY THEM WHILE WE HAVE THEM AS THE ECONOMICS ARE GETTING FRIGHTENING.YIS

We are losing shows and fairs all over the place due to things like the increase in vat and the price of fuel,traders are being undercut by the internet. we are being threatened by politicians and antis if you dont fancy a show don't go but if you do go and its not up to scratch contact the organisers and tell them your views most show organisers have meeting after the show and criticism is as welcome as praise if its justified and constuctive because if the showpeople don't know its wrong they can't fix it. This site is murder for people coming on and denigrating shows and some people (not on this post)seem to be totally negative in their comments.REMEMBER THIS ONCE A SHOW GETS CANCELLED IT VERY RARELLY RETURNS ENJOY THEM WHILE WE HAVE THEM AS THE ECONOMICS ARE GETTING FRIGHTENING.YIS

Some truth in that why did Lowther go down? Glad to see its back up and running under a different organisation :thumbs:

Y.I.S Leeview

Would anyone be interested in taking part if there was an obedience/working trial style competition which depends on having a well trained dog etc rather than a beauty or pure speed contest? For example walking to heel, jumping a hurdle, waiting, retreiving etc?

LF,

If we can get enough interest in this we will certainly consider a competition or a main arena display. We are always willing to do look at anything that promotes working dogs.

Lee,

Once again you come up with nothing positive - let us have your ideas on what YOU think lurcher owners want.

APOLOGIES ONCE AGAIN FOR THE CAPITALS. IN THE END ONE OWNER IS GOING TO BE VERY HAPPY WITH YOUR MONEY :whistling: SO WHY NOT LET THE LURCHER EXHIBITORS HAVE FREE ENTRY? THAT WILL ENSURE MANY MORE FEEL AS THOUGH THEY ARE PART OF YOUR SHOWS :thumbs: CROKE PARK DO THE FINAL TEAM PLAYERS HAVE TO PAY TO GET IN?

I have spoken to several and they are in favour of the competitions as outlined. In 2010 we were not only satisfied but delighted with our attendances at the events we organised : 1. We rescued the Ballywalter Fair with a good crowd who enjoyed the reviralised event. 2. We had record crowds at Shanes Castle for any Irish Game Fair ever and Birr had a record crowd fpor any fair in the ROI. Am I complacent - never - which is why even after 33 years of Fairs I still try to innovate. Anyone who know me knows that I never settle for 'second best'.

YOU HAVE SPOKEN TO SEVERAL AND THEY ARE IN FAVOUR OF THE COMPETITIONS AS OUTLINED :whistling: I BET THEY ALL HAVE FAST DOGS THAT RACE ALL SUMMER LONG. YOU SAY YOU WERE SATISFIED WITH 2010 ATTENDANCIES AND END WITH YOU "NEVER SETTLE FOR SECOND BEST" DO A POLL ON HERE AND ASK THESE LADS THEIR VIEWS WETHER THEY WOULD ATTEND 1,IF IT WAS FREE ADMISSION 2,IF THERE WAS £1,000 TO THE WINNER?

To me life is all about aspirations and setting goals. When one aspiration is achieved I set a new one. That is what the Master Mc Grath Challenge is all about - to celebrate a great Irish sporting icon by giving Irish lurcher oweners the chance to aspire to competing in, and winning a prestigious competition on Irish soil.

WITH YOUR VAST KNOWLEDGE OF MASTER MCGRATH WHAT DID HE EVER WIN ON IRISH SOIL :whistling:

If you don't like it you don't have to compete but please don't by your negativity try to spoil the aspirations of people competing in and perhaps winning such a competition.

THES ASPIRATIONS OF WORKING LURCHER OWNERS DO YOU THINK WINNING YOUR COMPETITION MEANS THEY HAVE A BETTER DOG ON RABBIT,HARE OR FOX? OR JUST A FASTER DOG THAT CHASES A RAG AND THE OWNER WALKS AWAY WITH £1,000 IF THEY'RE THAT GOOD THERE'S TRACKS TO RUN ON ALL OVER THE COUNTRY :thumbs:

With regards to competitions entry fees, as with all our competitions, the club or organisation organising the events take all the entry fees towards expenses and club/organisation funds. We do request that they donate some of the profits to a worthy cause.

I look forward to some positive input from you. I do like the quote you have at the bottom of your posts - if I was unkind I could say it is a bit of a pity that you don't practice it.

THANK YOU,ONCE AGAIN YOUR COMPLACENCY LEADS YOU TO BELIEVE THE FIRST LINE APPLIES TO YOU :tongue2:

Another for you : 'There are none so blind as those who will not see...'

I am now finishing this conversation unless I see positive practical & workable suggestions from you.

I invite you to come as my guest to see the success of the two competitions and the true and justifiable pride in ownership of the winner of the inaugural event.

Albertj

FAST DOGS CHASING LURES I CAN SEE ON THE TRACKS WHENEVER THE FANCY TAKES NOW IF IT WAS A WORKING EVENT LURCHERS DOING WHAT THEY ARE MEANT TO DO OUT IN THE FIELD BIT SIMILAR TO THE GUNDOGS DO AT YOUR SHOWS NOW THAT WOULD BE WORTH SEEING :thumbs:

Y.I.S Leeview

Lee,

You have now come up with one suggestion that I will address ( briefly!!!).

It is totally impractical for anyone to organise shows and give free admission. Where would it end? If there was no gate there would be no show.

What we do is make valuable concessions to sportmen in general:

1. A Free ticket with a year's subscription to Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine: Thats a year's magazine posted to you and a free ticket for £15.

Or

2. If you purchase a ticket at Ballywalter ( £10) you get a free ticket for Shanes Castle. Meaning admission for each show just £5. What do you get for £5 now? £1 of this goes to the VAT man - £4 towards the running of the show!

OR

3. Specially for Lurcher and terrier guys who want to compete/go both days at Shanes or Birr a SPECIAL concession

of both days for the price of one.

Now you have singled our shows out for critism but can you tell me of any other major Game or Country Fair that has better concessions for terrier & lurcher owners?

Albertj