best moderator for .223

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish someone would give you some answers, I could do with some advice on this as Im varying my fac for a calibre like yours!

All I can tell you is I've got a T8 on my 22-250 and it rusts like hell. You have to take it off every now and again and spray it with wd40. I blow it out with compressed air then let it dry but shake it every couple of hours to get as much out as I can. She smokes a bit for the first few rounds but that soon goes. Im thinking of a stainless steel moderator but Im waiting for others opinion's on it first. There are the types you can dissmantle and clean but Im afraid maintenance isn't my strong point. Well there's a start for you lets hope it encourages other opinions. :thumbs:

have a t8 on my titan 3 .223. dont see the trouble with just taking it off the rifle when your cleaning it down after a night out, nice bit of spray the wd40 after using a mop inside to stop it from rusting. leave it off when gun stored and just grease the thread now and again.

only prob i find with it is its quite heavy..could do with a lighter one!lol!

have a t8 on my titan 3 .223. dont see the trouble with just taking it off the rifle when your cleaning it down after a night out, nice bit of spray the wd40 after using a mop inside to stop it from rusting. leave it off when gun stored and just grease the thread now and again.

only prob i find with it is its quite heavy..could do with a lighter one!lol!

Do you not find your first couple of shots can fly off from the zero at distance with the explosion of oil?

I seem to find when I remove and clean mine I need to fire it before it settles down again.

I would have to fly the flag for the wildcat predator 8. Very similar to the T8 mod already mentioned, but it is a lot easier to strip down for cleaning. You can also now get the compact version which is much shorter and lighter. You can also customise the number of baffles along with the weight, which should give you exactly what you want and they're not massively expensive either. As long as you clean it most times after use you should be fine, your zero only goes off when the moderator has not been cleaned for a while and then you rezero to account for this, then when you give it a proper clean its all over the palce because it's been zeroed for a dirty mod not a clean one. Just maintain a clean rifle and mod and you will see very little zero shit after cleaning.

What so you mean Im meant to maintain my guns? Im going off this shooting lark!

So you clean that wildcat after every time the gun is used even if you've only fired 1 shot at a fox. Or what if you go out and dont even shoot at anything, do you take it off and strip it down then because of the condensation after taking it into the warm?

Would you clean it every time with wd40 or just wipe it?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but Im begining to see where I've gone wrong with the T8.

Edited by sako

i had a T8 on my last rifle, put about 200 shots through it and it cracked the welds holding it together so never again i thought.

i have a wildcat p8 now, it gets cleaned every 50 shots with M-Pro 7. At this time of year i also take the mod to bits after every outing and place it on the radiator to dry out, leaving condensation inside is just asking for trouble.

as for spraying oil inside your mod, personaly i wouldnt do it, i like the explosive bit at one end of the barrel not both.

Pestcontrol, I like the look of that mod it looks easy to clean even for me! Have you got any opinion of the stainless steel types? Are the washer's and workings stainless steel?

Azman, M-Pro 7, Im guessing that must be some kind of oil? Is that a specific gun type oil or something else?

I have the smae rifle, though cut down by 3 or 4 inch..its superb for accuracy and I

use a PES T12..wont rust, wont burn through like Aluminium and very quite..when you do choose a mod....dont leave it ob the rifle...take it off after use or the acidic condensate will eat into you barrell or crown in days.

i had a T8 on my last rifle, put about 200 shots through it and it cracked the welds holding it together so never again i thought.

i have a wildcat p8 now, it gets cleaned every 50 shots with M-Pro 7. At this time of year i also take the mod to bits after every outing and place it on the radiator to dry out, leaving condensation inside is just asking for trouble.

as for spraying oil inside your mod, personaly i wouldnt do it, i like the explosive bit at one end of the barrel not both.

Agree :thumbs:

ASE Ultra compact, a lot shorter than others out their.

Had one and the P8 is better balanced than the ase. Still good though

ASE Ultra compact around £325.00

DM80 around £240.00

T8 round £220.00

Wildcat P8 new with 243 insert £50,,,,ebay!! :thumbs:

I have the smae rifle, though cut down by 3 or 4 inch..its superb for accuracy and I

use a PES T12..wont rust, wont burn through like Aluminium and very quite..when you do choose a mod....dont leave it ob the rifle...take it off after use or the acidic condensate will eat into you barrell or crown in days.

another thumbs up for the PES. ive got one on my 22/250. cant fault it :yes: