best moderator for .223

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Azman, M-Pro 7, Im guessing that must be some kind of oil? Is that a specific gun type oil or something else?

M-Pro 7 is a cleaning fluid for removing carbon, lead and copper its also non-toxic, biodegradable and non flamable.

Its the dogs balls in my opinion, i have a fair bit of it now, i just break the mod up, place it in a bowl of M-Pro leave it for 30mins ish and then give it a quick scrub and a rinse.

also use it for cleaning barrels, just soak a patch in it pass it through, then bronze brush the barrel, another couple of patches, and then some dry patches to make sure all the crud is removed.

good thing about it is that you can filter all the crud out of it and re-use it :)

dont get a shift in zero after cleaning it. and i spray wd40 in it after every night out..dont want a rusty T8!! dot find any problem with an explosive from and back end as you put it either :tongue2:

essential to maintain all you rguns though..they'll last you years then! :thumbs:

It's not so much of an explosion it's the smoke from the barrel after the first couple of shots.

Jonesbach, how long is it before you go back out after spraying with wd40, a couple of days or a week or so? Im interested as I only spray mine every 2-3 months then fire it the next day to burn off the oil. Im wondering if only a light film is left if the moderator isn't used for a few days.

I have the smae rifle, though cut down by 3 or 4 inch..its superb for accuracy and I

use a PES T12..wont rust, wont burn through like Aluminium and very quite..when you do choose a mod....dont leave it ob the rifle...take it off after use or the acidic condensate will eat into you barrell or crown in days.

another thumbs up for the PES. ive got one on my 22/250. cant fault it :yes:

I have used a few and I now have 2 wildcats work real well no probs after two years use . Got one on a 22.250 one on a 223 only clean every 50 or so shots not much to clean realy bit black but no build up of muck any where all in good kit.

It's not so much of an explosion it's the smoke from the barrel after the first couple of shots.

Jonesbach, how long is it before you go back out after spraying with wd40, a couple of days or a week or so? Im interested as I only spray mine every 2-3 months then fire it the next day to burn off the oil. Im wondering if only a light film is left if the moderator isn't used for a few days.

Normally a few days between my outings(dont want to upset the wife to much.lol) so minimum 2 nights in between spraying wd40 and next shot..can be up to a week or so. ive never sprayed it and then shot the next morning/same night with it though. so like you say, by then all i have is the light protective film inside, nothing really to burn or make it smoke.

Andy it is the same as any thing you want to last...maintain it...all the mods on the market are good and do the same job...many magazines and papers have tested C/F mods and without specific gear you can not hear a difference...having said that there is a massive difference in the prices.

i have a T8 use it all the time on 2 of my rifles it is now 8 yrs old has no rust has not come appart and not discoloured,i give it a quick spray of GT85 a bike maintainace spray,i also have a T4 which is on one of my other rifles and this is the same excellent.

incase you are interested i have a T4 Ranger for sale it was on my .204 which i no longer have it is imaculate is 5/8F thread and is for sale £120.00 + post.

paul

Trooperman, can I ask why you haven't got the 204? Did you not get on with the calibre? Im about to vary my fac for something with less recoil for nv. the 204 was my first choice. Im still hesitant but I've only got until thursday to decide.

Edited by sako

I have just bought a remington 700 in .223 for foxing. I am having it screwcut and wondered what moderator others use as there are lots out there and i am not sure where to start!

Recently got a Roedale ultralite mod from sportsman in newport, completely strippable and very very light. Mod is screwed on the end of barrel and increases length by about 6"but as said its so light its almost unoticable when carrying the rifle. Baffles can be purchased seperately if required. Great piece of kit imo.

google--- Roedale moderators & take a look

LD

I've got a Remi 700 SPS and had the barrel cut to 20" with a P8. You will notice the bark a lot more with the shorter barrel although I have to agree the P8 is a great bit of kit. Haven't cleaned the mod for a while... cheers for the reminder. Annoying things about the remi - the floorplate magazine... in the dark... ball-ache! The rest is perfectly functional and inherently accurate.

post-4425-0-63412900-1298672990_thumb.jpg

Annoying things about the remi - the floorplate magazine... in the dark... ball-ache! The rest is perfectly functional and inherently accurate.

seconded, and if you get the varmit version, it weights a ton. But it did shoot good and the mass of aftermarket bits for them is another bonus.