hard terriers

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant be arsed to trawl the thread to see if i posted in it but wuthout the hard ,rough type we would have no future workers to work .

You can only piss with the dick you've got, if you've got hard terriers then work them accordingly, in the right sort of place. What's a man to do should his stock suddenly breed hard terriers ? Shoul

Lads if your dog is mute, an takes some flack, or if your dogs mute an dont take flack, whats the problem, as long as the dog STAYS. If you have quarry thats been therre before, you need a good d

Posted Images

Hahaha you boys think some the things on this thread are bad did you not see  the member diesel177  on the  “ staffs bull thread“  asking a member if he works his staffy on badgers and saying he wants a staff to work on badgers ???

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/02/2011 at 14:50, Daniele Santoni said:

Hello, I think that terriers (and lurchers) should be evaluated according to the work that must be done, and the territory in which they must work.

A hard terrier, for example, can be "functional" in my territory but not in a territory of another sportsman, or can be a good working dog with the "animals" that I hunt, but not so good with the animal hunted by someone else!

Bless :)

This bloke hit the nail on the head while you lot are busy arguing like women as usual ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 14/02/2011 at 16:46, Rocky2 said:

A hard dog may only be useful in some places but without hard dogs to breed from you would end up with no good terriers down the line

I asked about this on Facebook other evening, if only bred from bayers how would the pups be down the line. Nobody answered 

• 2 weeks later...

As said above breeding off baying types will lead to one thing  having dogs standing 3 foot away from its game. 

When my dad was in the game 30 plus years ago it was common for the terrier to have killed there fox if it didn't bolt.  I've only seen it a hand full of times. 

But we live in a different world now unfortunately. 

• Like 2
On 2/28/2018 at 03:17, Rat face said:

As said above breeding off baying types will lead to one thing  having dogs standing 3 foot away from its game. 

When my dad was in the game 30 plus years ago it was common for the terrier to have killed there fox if it didn't bolt.  I've only seen it a hand full of times. 

But we live in a different world now unfortunately. 

I've always heard it said only breed from a bitch that is capable of finishing a fox and a dog that does it on a regular basis.I can not see how putting 2 sounders Bayer's together would ever improve the working terrier IMO they would eventually ruin it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think the fox killing aspect is over hyped, I've seen terriers that would make short work of a fox and were useless digging dogs. IMO fox killers like that are hyped up (even gassy) wind bags that want the job over too quickly. 

Give me that laid back terrier that goes in and gets the job done in his own steady style any day of the week.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I think the fox killing aspect is over hyped, I've seen terriers that would make short work of a fox and were useless digging dogs. IMO fox killers like that are hyped up (even gassy) wind bags that want the job over too quickly. 

Give me that laid back terrier that goes in and gets the job done in his own steady style any day of the week.

Where did they make short work of the fox, was it above ground because below in a tight spot face to face it's a different story imo that takes guts. Each to their own tho. Breeding 2 steady styles will leave you little chance of getting the same result percentage wise compared too putting a touch a fire in.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Agree with you regarding 'gassy' terriers, but many laid back, quite, steady terriers given a chance will have a fox killed in minutes...

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

We're reading from the same hymn sheet boys. Key word for me was 'fox'.

And yes How Deep I meant underground of course, I have a dog here that will kill a fox unless you're down to him sharpish, but he ain't no digging dog.

I understand ?. If you where looking too breed the steady bayer type how would you intend to do so. Steady bayer x steady bayer. Or would you add a more forward type?