hard terriers

I've always maintained the hardest part of any dig is the break through that's when the terrier has to be 100% up to scratch or else your digging another hole.I have seen it many times with terriers that have not that extra gear all the digging in vain for t the quarry to push by and away especially with educated quarry. Lads from different areas have come on my permission only to see their top dog lose or even worse come away and then they will say that never happened before reason being their dog was never on quarry that knows the score and when push came to shove the quarry won the day. My own dogs and the lads that dig with me are no world beaters far from it but they get the results for us and that's what matters. How often have you seen a good earth ruined by dropping holes to a terrier that can't or should I say won't hold its ground when it matters.

• Like 7

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant be arsed to trawl the thread to see if i posted in it but wuthout the hard ,rough type we would have no future workers to work .

You can only piss with the dick you've got, if you've got hard terriers then work them accordingly, in the right sort of place. What's a man to do should his stock suddenly breed hard terriers ? Shoul

Lads if your dog is mute, an takes some flack, or if your dogs mute an dont take flack, whats the problem, as long as the dog STAYS. If you have quarry thats been therre before, you need a good d

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Mixedgrill said:

Reading some of your posts FD 

With that post are you saying cull ? 

Don't release?

On my own ground I shoot everything but if I'm on an invite and their wishes are  to release then I release .These days I don't travel far tbh ,done all that so everything is shot locally with loads to go at ,more time digging rather than watching a dog heal .

Fatman and How Deep, can you explain exactly how the dogs work that just lay hold without taking any punishment? I've genuinely never seen it how you both are describing it. I've seen steady dogs that take hold on breakthrough and I've seen mute dogs that go in and take hold, but they don't always get a cheek hold, so they will take a lot of punishment otherwise? I honestly can not fathom how a dog can go in, grab a cheek hold and lay there without taking punishment, every time?

• Like 3
On 28/02/2018 at 08:08, Rabbit Hunter said:

I think the fox killing aspect is over hyped, I've seen terriers that would make short work of a fox and were useless digging dogs. IMO fox killers like that are hyped up (even gassy) wind bags that want the job over too quickly. 

Give me that laid back terrier that goes in and gets the job done in his own steady style any day of the week.

Give me a doggy that stays until dug regardless

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Fatman and How Deep, can you explain exactly how the dogs work that just lay hold without taking any punishment? I've genuinely never seen it how you both are describing it. I've seen steady dogs that take hold on breakthrough and I've seen mute dogs that go in and take hold, but they don't always get a cheek hold, so they will take a lot of punishment otherwise? I honestly can not fathom how a dog can go in, grab a cheek hold and lay there without taking punishment, every time?

Again little punishment! I will explain they go in grab behind the ear not cheek or foot or anywhere else this comes with experience but mainly strength is used to hold and keeping a constant  press on them if you can'take get your head around it it' fine by me. Iv'e even dug down in mid tube with the dog pressing it' quarry to the wall full stretch using its strength that he knows he has. It happens believe it or not. I'm not a parrot but sure feel like one. Please don't ask what weight they are do I work them out cause they need this magical strength to hold such quarry. Look it hows some of them do it here and they can be dug too regularly. 

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

Again little punishment! I will explain they go in grab behind the ear not cheek or foot or anywhere else this comes with experience but mainly strength is used to hold and keeping a constant  press on them if you can'take get your head around it it' fine by me. Iv'e even dug down in mid tube with the dog pressing it' quarry to the wall full stretch using its strength that he knows he has. It happens believe it or not. I'm not a parrot but sure feel like one. 

Don’t take this the wrong way lad but I have to call bolloxs on this one. What do these mute terriers do when quarry is in tight and I mean proper tight And he has to take what ever hold he can get. I think what’s getting people mixed up here is there idea of a terrier taking punishment. Some lads will dig a dog a week after taking a bit whereas I would think the same dog might need 2 or 3 weeks off.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Don’t take this the wrong way lad but I have to call bolloxs on this one. What do these mute terriers do when quarry is in tight and I mean proper tight And he has to take what ever hold he can get. I think what’s getting people mixed up here is there idea of a terrier taking punishment. Some lads will dig a dog a week after taking a bit whereas I would think the same dog might need 2 or 3 weeks off.

Any good terrier in my opinion will dig up until he meets his quarry but if it' all roots and stone and he is nose too nose the dog will yap or roar out of frstration if he can't take hold knowing he can't get the upper hand he will wait their yapping hoping the opportunity comes to him  too me that's  the sign of a right good clever dog. The way I see it is a good dog will get the upperhand and if that situation happens nose to nose he won't take punishment but 90%a the time that ain' the situation and the earth are plenty big. Not all dogs that take hold will get busted they have a brain and use it. I'm wore out from explaining this I think the mix up is some men don' want to believe it 

Edited by howdeeposxxt
16 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

Any good terrier in my opinion will dig up until he meets his quarry but if it' all roots and stone and he is nose too nose the dog will yap or roar out of frstration if he can't take hold knowing he can't get the upper hand he will wait their yapping hoping the opportunity comes to him  too me that's  the sign of a right good clever dog. The way I see it is a good dog will get the upperhand and if that situation happens nose to nose he won't take punishment but 90%a the

16 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

Any good terrier in my opinion will dig up until he meets his quarry but if it' all roots and stone and he is nose too nose the dog will yap or roar out of frstration if he can't take hold knowing he can't get the upper hand he will wait their yapping hoping the opportunity comes to him  too me that's  the sign of a right good clever dog. The way I see it is a good dog will get the upperhand and if that situation happens nose to nose he won't take punishment but 90%a the time that ain' the situation and the earth are plenty big. Not all dogs that take hold will get busted they have a brain and use it. I'm wore out from explaining this I think the mix up is some men don' want to believe it 

time that ain' the situation and the earth are plenty big. Not all dogs that take hold will get busted they have a brain and use it. I'm wore out from explaining this I think the mix up is some men don' want to believe it 

So they don’t work mute, only when it suits them. That’s where I was getting mixed up. Sorry my bad. 

Dont be so smart Well I wouldn' expect a dog that can't get to his quarry to stay silent but my view on a mute dog is when he is with his quarry he is mute what' your idea of a mute dog. I wouldn' call that when it suits em if he can' get up he will ya out of frstration but when with quarry you'l only feel the tump.

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 1

They are out there might not be everyone cup of tea but aslong as they do the job who cares. Some lads like to hear their dog working but it doesn't bother me either way once they stay.I'd rather have a mute hard dog than a yapper that will move with quarry everytime the pressure comes on IMO that only educates them more and ruins a good earth in the process. Same applies to stupid hard dogs that will do maybe half an hour flat out then come out like something from a horror movie not what i want in a terrier.

• Like 7