hard terriers

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant be arsed to trawl the thread to see if i posted in it but wuthout the hard ,rough type we would have no future workers to work .

You can only piss with the dick you've got, if you've got hard terriers then work them accordingly, in the right sort of place. What's a man to do should his stock suddenly breed hard terriers ? Shoul

Lads if your dog is mute, an takes some flack, or if your dogs mute an dont take flack, whats the problem, as long as the dog STAYS. If you have quarry thats been therre before, you need a good d

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

Work him to a  stopend and hold behind the ear till dug too 

I too have heard of these mythical beasts that work mute for hours on end and take little to no stick, I’m yet to see one, not saying they don’t exist but I’d say their a very rare beast indeed. 

1 hour ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

And what about if it's in roots and gives the dog a face full every time he tries to take hold? Then what does the dog do?

Dig on until he can hold and if it' impossible to get their he will do what a bayer does unfortunately 

3 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Some of you lads that dig and release CAN end up  creating hard terriers from otherwise  steady week in week out dogs or sicken them altogether. The notion that released quarry makes for a better dog has always baffled me. Educated stuff requires a hard type or it' not staying to be dug to but then same lads are  moaning dog is too hard and only gets minimal work .I' rather dog gets regular work myself but that's just me .

FD I have a bitch here that bullied or killed every fox she went to totally mute  but did 15 mins with educated quarry she just couldn't bully or control the situation like she normally does  I have also a bitch that's a Bayer mixer that I dug to the exact quarry she's no were near as hard but both have there places and im out to test them and I know which I would rather be out with 

Edited by blackmaggie
1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

I too have heard of these mythical beasts that work mute for hours on end and take little to no stick, I’m yet to see one, not saying they don’t exist but I’d say their a very rare beast indeed. 

Im ' baffled this is such a rarity cause it' not the one dog I'm talking about. I'm finished talking on the subject I feel like a king here ffs.

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've got hard and steady terriers, I live in hope that the hard learn their lesson and begin to speak.  They've all got their uses, on a personal level I don't like to dig to a mute terrier,  I don't feel like I enjoy it at all. You feel obliged to rush because of the damage they can take, and it just doesn't feel right without a terrier singing away, like somethings missing.

• Like 8

I only have little baying types because that's the type I want to keep. But let's be truthful if you have game in a stop end that doesn't want to be dug a bayer isn't gonna hold him. It's down to the man to have the type of dog that suits his type of work In my opinion. 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Agreed but why  create trouble .

Honestly fd if every terrier man over here culled everything they dug after two seasons there would be nothing left to dig. And that’s the real reason.

Edited by dogmandont
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/2/2018 at 06:52, howdeeposxxt said:

Im ' baffled this is such a rarity cause it' not the one dog I'm talking about. I'm finished talking on the subject I feel like a king here ffs.

Their not that rare at all iv a bitch here mute while working and to look at her you would swear she has never been dug and she see's her share of educated quarry weekly. I also have her 2 sisters and they don't make much noise either. I also seen there father dug many times with little fuss and he was mute up until 9 year old then started to give a little tounge.he was actually dug to 11 times in 3 weeks with very little on him.I agree some are stupid hard and of little use but a lot of mute terriers have a brain and if I had to choose between them and a Bayer the choice would be easy as I would not get much dug around me with a Bayer. We all have our preferred type which IMO is good as if everyone kept the same it would be boring.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, fat man said:

Their not that rare at all iv a bitch here mute while working and to look at her you would swear she has never been dug and she see's her share of educated quarry weekly. I also have her 2 sisters and they don't make much noise either. I also seen there father dug many times with little fuss and he was mute up until 9 year old then started to give a little tounge.he was actually dug to 11 times in 3 weeks with very little on him.I agree some are stupid hard and of little use but a lot of mute terriers have a brain and if I had to choose between them and a Bayer the choice would be easy as I would not get much dug around me with a Bayer. We all have our preferred type which IMO is good as if everyone kept the same it would be boring.

Omg Fatman someone who understands what I'm saying and I'm not the only one to see mute terriers do good honest work and hold their quarry no matter how long with little damage and making 3 or 4 holes in big earths Ive felt like a lyer on this subject. The stuff we have here would make a bayer type look like bouncing ball in a handball ally. ? what they don't get is the dog can do this without looking like a falling egg after its job is done.

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 2