hard terriers

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant be arsed to trawl the thread to see if i posted in it but wuthout the hard ,rough type we would have no future workers to work .

You can only piss with the dick you've got, if you've got hard terriers then work them accordingly, in the right sort of place. What's a man to do should his stock suddenly breed hard terriers ? Shoul

Lads if your dog is mute, an takes some flack, or if your dogs mute an dont take flack, whats the problem, as long as the dog STAYS. If you have quarry thats been therre before, you need a good d

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I prefer a harder type and I agree with what you're saying.

I have an IQ of a 6 year old  Rabbit Hunter, I need things explained in simpler terms I've got too many belts in the head with the shovel starting out. Excuse my stupidity.

• Thanks 1
On 14/02/2011 at 15:08, bud9 said:

whats all your veiws on this thares lads all over the place that seem to think hard terriers are better terriers :doh: i think its just stupid whats the point of haveing a terrier that can only be worked 1 every 2 to 3 month when you can have a baying terrier that can be worked 3 to 4 times a week well to me i would rather have the baying dog myself :thumbs: i have a old terrier dog thats 8 and he has done a fair amount of graft over the years but folk seem to think becouse hes not got chunks missing here and thare they dont beleve he works this used to piss me off but now a just dont give a shit as i no myself he works and has been a good littel dog for me over the years :thumbs:

At the start you have to work with what you have. Hard , steady mixer, mute, bayer. As time goes on you can be selective in what you keep and want in a working terrier. As for people’s opinions bud I would nt fret to much. I learned years ago that 90 % of it is bollxxxs anyway. Look after your dogs enjoy your digging and let the idiots do their own thing. 

• Like 3

JMHO but there are some good lines out there who's breeders have only ever bred baying types to baying types and no doubt about it they are the hardest type to breed. The secret IMO is a good breeder doesn't need to see injuries to know he has heart in his terriers. Steady baying types can have plenty of heart and they often get more work done for longer periods than the harder type. But for a line of terrier to work as steady baying types and stand the test of time (not just one or two generations) they need a good breeder behind them with a good stockmans eye because heart is something that can easily be over looked and is often only associated with hardness. Not so IMO.

And I'm not biased as I appreciate a hard one too, I just don't want them anymore. The appeal is gone for me.

• Like 10

Hard should not mean a busted up terrier that can only do a handfull of digs, they should be called messy terriers.They are of no use really. It' the misunderstanding of the actual word some have such different views on the hard terrier and when having a conversation especially over print it can be misleading 

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Sometimes a particular nasty opponent can change a terrier from a bayer to a stupidly rough type .Happened to me several times but all that's really happened is an awakening .

And the opposite can happen whereby a"bruiser" turns into a bayer.

Cheers, D.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 14/02/2011 at 18:05, Guest busterdog said:

Butler i like the way you think, I've got one bitch in this yard thats as dull as two fish, i don't work her often and cringe when i put her in the ground. I lost a dog a few years back that was seven years old, i lost him while we were still in cubbing "pre ban" when i phoned my digging partner of the time he went off phone and came back to tell me that i'de dug fifty five with him so far that season, he never got knocked up and in the five good years work i had with him he'd only lost one tooth. Hard dogs may have their uses but in the long run i'de sooner have my bayers, hard dogs only impress idiots and kids.

You had dug 55 with him already that season and you were still cubbing ?

And that's why we love terriers, there's so much of a grey area with them.

I've seen dogs start hard and stay hard, start hard and steady up, start steady and end up wafflers, start hard and spew when they don't get their own way and lastly, start steady and become harder with the more confidence they build up.

• Like 6