making long nets

jak n meg

looks like a good net there nathan, im going to start on a 20/9 spun poly net very soon aswell.

How long are you doing the net?

OLDTRAPCOLLECTOR it is freely available from www.engel-netze.de postage is 15 euro's though, which is about £7 i think. it works out about £10 a kilo, there abouts.

JAK N MEG, i allow a minute a row, so it works out something like 28 hours for a 50 yard net with 100% bagging

Im making it a 50 yarder mate, so 100 yards of netting , better get on with it i suppose :blink:

Nathan

i have to say , i take my hat off to you lads with the patience to sit and knit long nets , i have always bought mine , but then i would rather be out there useing them than sitting at home bored shitless with aching fingers,

on a reccomendation from woodga , i have just got a double trammel and poles off gypoe joe , and i have to say the service and net are second to none, i have bought nets off others in the past (BB)and there is no waiting about for weeks on end with this lad, and this new trammel has way more bagging than the BB net, which is why it probably doesn,t hold more rabbits than it should, i,m gonna set it up tommorow and hopefully try it out on sunday, i,ll keep ya posted

RE: Trammel netting, i have never used a trammel net, as i have never seen the need. I could imagine how difficult it would be to remove rabbits in darkness. It sometimes bad enough when a rabbit busts a mesh and goes through that, which has the same sort of effect as a trammel.

Maybe the lads who work as pest controller's could say why they deem a trammel net useful

Im making it a 50 yarder mate, so 100 yards of netting , better get on with it i suppose :blink:

once you get in the "knitting mood" you can soon add a few meshes, just remember a 50 yard net will be 850 meshes (1700 rows) long with a 4.25" mesh (2 1/8" knot to knot)

I allow a minute a row. so it works out about 28 hours for a 50yarder, but you really do have to want to knit, as if your doing it half-heartedly you'll end up making a ballsup somewhere along the line.

Trammel nets be fecked, tryed them, loathed them, wont use them.

Daytime use with kicking rabbits, twigs, leaves and 3 hanging nets in one can only lead to one thing.........more time spent removing shite and less time doing the job in hand.

POINT OF QUESTION: if trammel nets are the new wonder tool of todays netting game, why arnt they about insted of the long net as we know it today? simple realy when you think about it. Years ago when the netters needed a solid method to catch and feed their family they would have tryed the trammel long befor some of us went about re-inventing the wheel. They must have tryed it, saw that it offers no advantage of what they were using so it slipped into obscurety untill resent times.

OF COURSE THIS IS ONLY MY OWN OPINION WHICH I HAVE COME TO AFTER USING THE TRAMMEL.......

whatever next, a funny shaped net that we will call a ditch net? :laugh: look back in history and we shall find the answers to all our sporting questions.........

LONGNETTING...trammel neting!!!!!! buy fuk thats a new one,, I dont now about you fellow netters but its hard enough killing a tradditional net (in darkness ) never mind a Trammel Net......REGARDS A TRUE NETTER...............

why does everyone jump to conclusions?, i don,t remember saying i use a trammel at night , i don,t , i use trammels thru the day, i use them cos i work alone and it gives you that bit longer to get to a rabbit or if 3-4 rabbits hit the net at the same time , i,m not running round like an idiot , trying to get them before they escape, also if i have to do a hedge on my own , i set the trammel on the opposite side and before anyone says , "if there plenty of bagging ,you won,t loose rabbits" well anyone that has done plenty of netting will know that no matter what you use , you will loose some, nothing is fool proof, over 20 years i was using traditional nets set the trdsaitional way , i now use fixed pole nets in a basket some are trammels some are not, different job ,different net

i prefer trammels for daylight , thats all , i,m allowed to, if you don,t want to use them, then dont , but don,t slag me off cos i do, if you don,t try these things , you will never know , if we didn,t try stuff , we would still be living in caves, i sometimes think some of us still do :blink:

LONGNETTING...trammel neting!!!!!! buy fuk thats a new one,, I dont now about you fellow netters but its hard enough killing a tradditional net (in darkness ) never mind a Trammel Net......REGARDS A TRUE NETTER...............

why does everyone jump to conclusions?, i don,t remember saying i use a trammel at night , i don,t , i use trammels thru the day, i use them cos i work alone and it gives you that bit longer to get to a rabbit or if 3-4 rabbits hit the net at the same time , i,m not running round like an idiot , trying to get them before they escape, also if i have to do a hedge on my own , i set the trammel on the opposite side and before anyone says , "if there plenty of bagging ,you won,t loose rabbits" well anyone that has done plenty of netting will know that no matter what you use , you will loose some, nothing is fool proof, over 20 years i was using traditional nets set the trdsaitional way , i now use fixed pole nets in a basket some are trammels some are not, different job ,different net

i prefer trammels for daylight , thats all , i,m allowed to, if you don,t want to use them, then dont , but don,t slag me off cos i do, if you don,t try these things , you will never know , if we didn,t try stuff , we would still be living in caves, i sometimes think some of us still do :blink:

spot on moley you never mentioned darkness i did,,, but i can deal with as you say 3 or 4 rabbits in jig time in a tradditional net a trammel net with 3 or 4 bunnys must be a pain !!! oh and by the way mole catchers spot on with his comments....... REGARDS A TRUE NETTER......

another reason i use trammels when ferreting or bushing is cos my dog has to get on the arse of a bolting rabbit to push it hard, once the rabbit hits the net , the dog jumps the net and comes back from the other side , too many times the rabbit is forced backwards out of the net by the returning dog and goes back to ground ,usually forcing a dig , i have found with trammels this is reduced considerably, this new net off gypoe joe has more bag and so i,m expecting hardly any rabbits to escape, but we shall see. i prefer to spend my time extracting rabbits from a net than from a hole i have just had to dig

I have not had any experience working a trammel net but am interested in trying to make and use one personally. Is the big window mesh square or diamond shape, and how big are the holes/meshes?

OTC

my trammels have diamond mesh and are 9 inch knot to knot ,thats how they come , i cannot see it being any different using square mesh