STARTING OUT FOR BEGINNERS

jasper65

Give it untill next year and i may take up a course on falconry. It looks amazing and i have an interest in knowing more about it. Not sure if ile ever own my own bird...who knows lol. Thanks for putting this post up. Very useful :yes:

Also is there a bird thats best to begin with?

FM

• 3 weeks later...

Hello DR

Just go for your main essentials first. obtain the equipment to cater for the bird you're acquiring too. so if its a HH you need a decent Bow Indoor or outdoor! Glove, Scales, Anklets, Jesses <mews/flying>, leashes, a couple of swivels <one spare>, Bells, Tail mount if requied, Telemetry which is the most expensive peice of equipment but worth its weight in gold.

If you get a decent book and with some practice you should be able to knock up your own Jesses, anklets, leashes and even hood if you require one.

As for the mews my birds are free lofted into breeding chambers, my flying birds are either bowed or blocked in the weatherings! There some posts back in the archives about dimensions and a few photo's of peoples set ups, I can't speak for Harris's but personaly through the flying season if I'm flying a Hawk/Falcon it will be bowed/Blocked in the weathering and free lofted at the end of the season for the Moult unless going in a breeding chamber. the P/R Goshawks will be free lofted in a enclosed 12 x 12 x 8 chamber, with a food shoot, a few perches and there may well be a ledge depending on which aviary they end up in, the netting for the roof is the sort used on Landfill! its flexible and won't damage the bird should it hit the roof for some reason.

If you look back to some of the posts or the first post the equipment suppliers will sort you out with all your needs for the bird....

Hope this helps a bit! hopefully some other people will contibute the your post

ATB

Tony

i cant seen to find archives or are you talking past posts

Edited by diezel1