Dispatching deer using a knife through the Atlas joint

I learnt about this from watching a video years ago, on Youtube. The video was made by a trained stalker who was called upon to deal with RTA's involving Deer for the police and he said he found it was the quickest and cleanest method to dispatch them.

The demonstration was obviously done on a dead deer so you see the exact place to push the knife through.

It left me believing it was an 'instant kill' method for using on shot and wounded or RTA deer by severing the spinal column from the brain stem. Resulting in massive shock to the brain and causing instant lifelessness or shaking jerky movements as the body twitched it's self out.

Either way - Dead....

I then practiced on dead deer in the larder whilst removng the skin/head until I was confident I could find it quickly (it's not hard to find with a bit of practice as it's the only place the knife will slide cleanly and easily through between the spine and skull)

Here's the thing though, when I actually had to use it on a deer for real, I found it didn't work??? their still blinking, breathing as if nothings happened? I've tried it twice and on both occasions it didn't give the required result.

Fearing I was doing something wrong, I obviously stopped trying that method and if the need arose I'd keep them pinned quietly and cut the heart through the soft opening were the neck meets the chest. This has been as effective a method as any and results in a quiet death within a maximum of a minute of two.

This was all years ago but recently I was out with a friend of mine who has done their DSC training and when we came across an injured deer he promptly stuck it in the Atlas joint as he had been shown by his instructor. It had the same effect it had done when I had tried it. He too had been led to believe that it would cause instant death.... He then stuck it through the heart as I would of.

So I guess this is as much a cautionary tale as it is a question.

Have any of you that have trained to find the Atlas joint during a stalking trip, DSc course etc. actually had to use it to dispatch??? and if so did it actually work as described to you?

I realise when stalking, a deer thats been shot but run on, seems to usually be left to bleed out from the wound or have shock set in so as not to chase it any further, then tracked and finished with a follow up shot, so using a knife to finish isn't usually required.

Are there other more effective ways of dealing with deer, with just a knife that have been involved in Road Traffic Accidents?

Sorry this has been a bit long winded but I look forward to any info.

ATB

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whats wrong with cutting its throat? If done properly and cleanly it quick and bleeds them out well.

I learnt about this from watching a video years ago, on Youtube. The video was made by a trained stalker who was called upon to deal with RTA's involving Deer for the police and he said he found it was the quickest and cleanest method to dispatch them.

The demonstration was obviously done on a dead deer so you see the exact place to push the knife through.

It left me believing it was an 'instant kill' method for using on shot and wounded or RTA deer by severing the spinal column from the brain stem. Resulting in massive shock to the brain and causing instant lifelessness or shaking jerky movements as the body twitched it's self out.

Either way - Dead....

I then practiced on dead deer in the larder whilst removng the skin/head until I was confident I could find it quickly (it's not hard to find with a bit of practice as it's the only place the knife will slide cleanly and easily through between the spine and skull)

Here's the thing though, when I actually had to use it on a deer for real, I found it didn't work??? their still blinking, breathing as if nothings happened? I've tried it twice and on both occasions it didn't give the required result.

Fearing I was doing something wrong, I obviously stopped trying that method and if the need arose I'd keep them pinned quietly and cut the heart through the soft opening were the neck meets the chest. This has been as effective a method as any and results in a quiet death within a maximum of a minute of two.

This was all years ago but recently I was out with a friend of mine who has done their DSC training and when we came across an injured deer he promptly stuck it in the Atlas joint as he had been shown by his instructor. It had the same effect it had done when I had tried it. He too had been led to believe that it would cause instant death.... He then stuck it through the heart as I would of.

Have any of you that have trained to find the Atlas joint during a stalking trip, DSc course etc. actually had to use it to dispatch??? and if so did it actually work as described to you?

I realise when stalking, a deer thats been shot but run on, seems to usually be left to bleed out from the wound or have shock set in so as not to chase it any further, then tracked and finished with a follow up shot, so using a knife to finish isn't usually required.

Are there other more effective ways of dealing with deer, with just a knife that have been involved in Road Traffic Accidents?

ATB

Used this technique this weekend on Red Deer calf to good effect. Knife has to be at least 6" long though, which is illegal...that's the problem methinks ;-)

Lift the head back and slice close to the jawbone down to the back of the head this will hit the Atlas from underneath and will also sever the main arterys in the neck deer will be dead in jig time watch out for the antlers beter if you can give it a shot from the twelve boar. Or a shruck down fourten

Edited by wireviz

Appraise the situation first – don’t assume there is one ‘best’ way. If the deer is down and fading fast then either cutting its throat of ‘sticking’ it may be the best option... If its a lively roebuck with clean antlers you’re probably best to shoot it again unless you fancy a trip to a&e on your way home :black eye: I’ve been told, once you’ve administered the coup de grace, that laying your jacket over their head to darken things so they can’t see you may ‘relax’ them in their final moments but i’m not so sure – no doubt it would be thick with your scent but it may make you feel better to not seen their eyes rolling around.

Remember, the web is always full of advice... I even read once someone advocating eye-stabbing as a sound method of dispatch :icon_eek::no: Either way this is not the time to be practising – if in doubt... shoot :thumbs:

Either way - Dead....

ATB

Used this technique this weekend on Red Deer calf to good effect. Knife has to be at least 6" long though, which is illegal...that's the problem methinks ;-)

Whats illegal about a knife over 6" ??. Perfectly legal if required :thumbs:

Appraise the situation first – don’t assume there is one ‘best’ way. If the deer is down and fading fast then either cutting its throat of ‘sticking’ it may be the best option... If its a lively roebuck with clean antlers you’re probably best to shoot it again unless you fancy a trip to a&e on your way home :black eye: I’ve been told, once you’ve administered the coup de grace, that laying your jacket over their head to darken things so they can’t see you may ‘relax’ them in their final moments but i’m not so sure – no doubt it would be thick with your scent but it may make you feel better to not seen their eyes rolling around.

Remember, the web is always full of advice... I even read once someone advocating eye-stabbing as a sound method of dispatch :icon_eek::no: Either way this is not the time to be practising – if in doubt... shoot :thumbs:

Wow! Eye-Stabbing! That should work! lol :doh:

If you sever the spinal cord,it will finish the deer off,but,it does take time as the brain is still alive as it is being fed with blood,so,you will need to also sever the main arteries by cutting straight and deep across the throat so it fully bleeds out.But,if in doubt a shot to the head will be the answer.

Martin

Edited by martin

the knife should be the second option imho ( if safety forbids the use of a firearm/shotgun).

when dispatching deer i normally cut the throat through to the atlas and leave the head attached by the rear muscles and skin only,this allows the bleed out and the deer is dead in seconds.

the atlas severance from the rear often takes practice to get it right ( i have done follow ups with a few men who could do this, and more than a few who couldn't).

seperating the atlas vertibrae with a "sau feder" (pig spear/lance) should not be tried unless you are very confident!!!! they hurt more than a kick/tyne from deer lol).

the quickest and most humane method available to reduce suffering is to be taken at all costs (animal rights act), the police regularly shoot game in germany ( above act overides the firearms acts/laws!!!!)

waidmannsheil!!

the knife should be the second option imho ( if safety forbids the use of a firearm/shotgun).

when dispatching deer i normally cut the throat through to the atlas and leave the head attached by the rear muscles and skin only,this allows the bleed out and the deer is dead in seconds.

the atlas severance from the rear often takes practice to get it right ( i have done follow ups with a few men who could do this, and more than a few who couldn't).

seperating the atlas vertibrae with a "sau feder" (pig spear/lance) should not be tried unless you are very confident!!!! they hurt more than a kick/tyne from deer lol).

the quickest and most humane method available to reduce suffering is to be taken at all costs (animal rights act), the police regularly shoot game in germany ( above act overides the firearms acts/laws!!!!)

waidmannsheil!!

Spot on! But few people carry a shooter in the trunk of their car, so a knife is often the only option available there and then to end the suffering quick.

around here you are better not leaving the house without one lol.

when it comes to the knife then practice makes perfect ( nothing could look worse than at an rta a " bodge job" in front of "innocent bystanders") and the heart is always a good option if in doubt, covering the head sounds a good tip too ( i have never done or heard of it tbf, most of my follow ups involved a dog and in that case the quarry is either dead or " held fast").

the public is watching in these cases so a professional and fuctional approach is essential.

waidmannsheil!!!

If practiced on enough dead deer it is pretty simple to deal with an injured deer that has been hit and not able to get away by severing the spinal cord. Covering the head is a good idea. The atlas joint is for paralysing the deer so it cannot thrash around, it should then be stuck in the heart through the soft area at the base of the neck allowing a quick and near enough painless death. Cutting it's throat is hardly a good way to deal with it if people are nearby who will of course be watching what you do! Every mobile phone has a camera/video function these days ;) It will probably lead to it thrashing around or at least struggling and bleeding heavily which would be ideal for a newspaper to get hold of etc