Well its got to be done either way, you cant have around 3000 hares eating all the crops it would decimate them and if this was rabbits no one would bat an eyelid. I live in the countryside and its an area thats teaming with them, I can understand those who dont see many with the thought that its the same all over, its not trust me. If the hares/rabbits/pigeons were left unchecked all over the result would be much higher prices in the supermarkets. If people had to pay £10 for a packet of cornflakes it would soon change some peoples thoughts. Shooting is the only LEGAL way to control them in numbers and as needs must thats what happens, I cant say that I would rather shoot them than run them on a dog but dogs are a no no now, its always coming on top for those who risk it around here, there are so many people on the look out. I even have to ring the plod when ferreting as we get so many people reporting us for coursing, the nobs.

I am a countryside lover and if the hares were in danger I would not, neither would the farms shoot them, simple.

I have been out pigeon shooting today and battered them, wonder if anyone will be upset about that?

By the way I have always been a lurcher man since I was a nipper, over 40 years so know where you all coming from.

Edited by stevethefish
  • Like 3

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

dont agrree with hare shoots would rather see them run with dogs than shot at it aint sport.

Well its got to be done either way, you cant have around 3000 hares eating all the crops it would decimate them and if this was rabbits no one would bat an eyelid. I live in the countryside and its an

Interesting maybe someone should put them straight they seem to think the brown hare is in decline due to hare coursing (CLIP TAKEN FROM A SHOOTING!! MAG)  

Hare's can cause some serious damage, On one of the shoots I beat on we flushed 25 Hare's from half an acre of cover crop, so a few had to be controlled, I know most of us would rather see a good dog course them but it's just not worth the risk of getting caught so they have to be shot. They say £ hares will eat the same per day as a roe deer so 25 in half an acre will be doing some damage.

:thumbdown: dont agrree with hare shoots would rather see them run with dogs than shot at it aint sport.

And id rather see a fox dug to with a terrier than run with a dog or shot but we dont all get what we want.

I think the bottom line is some forms of control are legal and others are not. Pre ban I loved watching a dog course a hare but now the only way i can watch it is on TV or the internet. To shoot that many hares in a day makes me think that the ground must have been teeming with them. Do you think they shot all the hares off the ground?

Over the last few years the land that i shoot has become more and more heavily populated with hares and we have now got to the stage where you can see 20+ hares in a field when out lamping. We dont shoot them but it is only a matter of time before the farmer demands that they be culled.

:thumbdown: dont agrree with hare shoots would rather see them run with dogs than shot at it aint sport.

And id rather see a fox dug to with a terrier than run with a dog or shot but we dont all get what we want.

I think the bottom line is some forms of control are legal and others are not. Pre ban I loved watching a dog course a hare but now the only way i can watch it is on TV or the internet. To shoot that many hares in a day makes me think that the ground must have been teeming with them. Do you think they shot all the hares off the ground?

Over the last few years the land that i shoot has become more and more heavily populated with hares and we have now got to the stage where you can see 20+ hares in a field when out lamping. We dont shoot them but it is only a matter of time before the farmer demands that they be culled.

we have thousands of hares around here,too many really which is why there are driven/walked up hare shoots every year plus the fact the fields get driven rather than walked.

Post removed for the reasons of respect to those who do not agree.

Mate if you remove everything that somebody don't agree with you'll never be able to post owt! Someone always disagrees, a shoot I have digging permission on there are a couple of members who are anti terrierwork! Honestly thought they were pulling my leg. Atb

• 5 months later...