new to this forum

tim

hi there lads im 16 and from somerset and new to this forum and would just like to say got loads of tips and othat form topics which is good :D , atm i have a bsa xl, which i love so far with it i have shot on my second outing on my mates farm, a rat, peigon and best of all i maged to get within 15yars of a rabbit and dispatch it humainly, my bsa is a .177 and i use logun penatrators they seem to do the job, any one else hunt with a .177 ?? and any tips for stalkin the woods for peigons and tree rats, due to the fact they are recking the feeders ?? any advise would be great hope to here from some of u pros all the best

tim :)

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Tim; I've found, in the past, that a bloody good gale is great for the wood pigeons mate. When it's really blowing a hooley they tend to favour some isolated belt of trees. If ye can locate their little refuge and get under it, ye have it made!

They seem to lose all that legendary caution and eye. I've had them screaming in to sit above my head and, if they do break out, they damn soon come straight back in again and just sit there, bobbing away and waiting to be picked off! :icon_eek:

Weather we're experiancing just now, ye should be able to pick ye moment to go out? Just make sure ye wrap up well and don't get crushed under any falling trees or branches!

If ye shoot alone, for tree rats? How about ye get some UnKibbled Maize and feed the buggers at a location of your choice? Pick a spot providing ye with a concealed approach, maybe towards a big ol' fallen tree that ye can hide behind and pick 'em off. Bound to get some rat rats that way too :good:

Guest king ratcatcher

Hi mate, welcome aboard, well done on getting close to the rabbit, that isnt an easy task, but thats what air rifle hunting is all about :)

Alot of people use .177 and they love it, i preffer .22 myself but its tottaly upto the person shooting the rifle, i have also got a .177 but use it for mainly target shooting (hft)

Good choice of pellet too :thumbs-up:

For stalking youle need to move slow, keeping close to cover, try to cover your face and use cammo to blend in with the background, any questions just ask mate :)

hi cheers for all the input so far... :) i will out into good use hopefully, atm i use combats ect, but dose any one herd of or use a gile suit ??? and would it be worth investing in one for more advanced stalking??? [bANNED TEXT] we was out walkin the feilds we spoted a few magpies around the hegerows and as soon they new we was onto them they were gone in a flash any tips on bringing a few of them down ?? ;) , also near i live there is a farmer and he is rather old now and [bANNED TEXT] i walk to my mates i seem to notice a few rabbits with mixy and i was thinking of offering to try to sort it out for him how do u think it would be the best way to approach him and offer my serivce ?? sorry for all the qestions just want to get as much info as i can to improve my hunting ect... all advice allways welcome tim

Guest king ratcatcher
hi cheers for all the input so far... :) i will out into good use hopefully, atm i use combats ect, but dose any one herd of or use a gile suit ??? and would it be worth investing in one for more advanced stalking??? [bANNED TEXT] we was out walkin the feilds we spoted a few magpies around the hegerows and as soon they new we was onto them they were gone in a flash any tips on bringing a few of them down ?? ;) , also near i live there is a farmer and he is rather old now and [bANNED TEXT] i walk to my mates i seem to notice a few rabbits with mixy and i was thinking of offering to try to sort it out for him how do u think it would be the best way to approach him and offer my serivce ?? sorry for all the qestions just want to get as much info as i can to improve my hunting ect... all advice allways welcome tim

I use normell dpm ( army surplus ) gear, it is cheep and works well, magpies are clever critters, you would be better to sit and wait for them with a split open rabbit/squirrel and a magpie decoy over it, once you have shot one you normely get a few more come raging over and start pecking at the one youve just shot, then you just take em out !!!! also, when you fancy abit of rabbit shooting, sit about 20 yards away from a warren and wait for them to come out, it is exiting stuff :victory:

Try in the woods for the pigeons, theyle be feeding on the natrual pickings, like berries and fruits comming upto the summer and acorns/beechmast in autumn, or round the farm, they will be round the farm this time of year for shelter and easy food supply, also try eggs, keep your egg shells and make a nest out of twigs and leafs, put the egg shells in the nest and put the nest where the magpies are, do this in spring ive had a few magpies like this :thumbs-up: