Top 3 patterdale studs in America and europe

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish I knew the answer to which 3 are the best studs. I've got a good bitch that I would love for the best to be put over. lol Which dog is best is a matter of opinion.I haven't seen enough to say b

different strokes for different folks,if finding a coon in a barn full of hay is so easy a hole would be a piece of cake.lol i would hope to say they could stick there head in a hole and find one. whe

wasteing your time mate its all about money over there atb biza

Posted Images

I just wanted to ptart this topic as the last one went the wrong way :)

I was just the other week thinking about these sort of things with Earthdogs. Question is, as this is a sport without many spectators, can you point the best ones? Or can you only point the most respected ones? The ones where the owners have the most respect from people and so are most used?

We can name here a list of the best breeders, dogs, kennels, but or this is in case the fact we can not really verify. We only can verify that a certain owner is respected and or he has in the eyes of his colegue hunters good or even the best dogs. Where in another case somebody is doing the job on his own in silence, has a much tougher selection, and maybe even much better dogs....

Keeps you thinking these sort of things, makes it also the more difficult for a Rookie in these dogs like me to get a full insight. It all comes down in my eyes to who has the most respect from his fellow workers, and produces also some usefull dogs...

So the question should be "who are the most respected studdogs in America and Europe" I guess. But I can be completely wrong, like to see where this topic is going :thumbs:

There are men who have bred and kept a line of dogs for 40..50years who most did'nt know they even kept dogs.They kept them among there own close diggin friends.Not saying they were better than the well known studs or broods but they were probably as good.Iknow one man who had a line off red lakey type terriers long before lakelands were heard off and that was maybe 50 year ago.I remember my father bringing me on a dig,i was about 10 at the time and that was the first time i seen them dogs and was very impressed with them.As years passed i moved away and he died,what became of his terriers i dont know.

Yankee,

It's too easy for guys to talk trash behind the keys of a computer. That said - since I opened my mouth and mentioned a few dogs on the other thread - I should be willing to travel and meet for a hunt! I'm willing to bring a few dogs, young or old! I say we meet in MI at Gman's or Nebraska sometime in Feb. to early March - that's kind of a central location for us up here in the Niz-orth. Personally, I'd like to see what some of these other dogs/lines can do.

Ddog

Im down for that, 2wkend of march works for me.. Coonhound trial the first weekend here.. Only got one Patterdale Terrier right now but he is good on coon for a 12-13lbs dog.. The Jagd is better size for coon at 16lbs.. But Im sure my buddies from Idaho, Cali, and Washington would come too.. We were going to the last one but were told not to many people..

Edited by bluecollar

A great idea always best to see Terriers working for yourself (before concidering buying pups from them)rather than relying on hearsay Anyway as the olddies say one man's meat is another mans mustard and we all have different standards and ideas for what suits us best ,Jonathan

This is vary true!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have given many dogs away that were to big for me that worked good for others.. I mostly hunt Nutria so a small dog is a must for me.. Plus I use a lurcher so coons arent a peoblem the terriers just have to hold them for long enough till Red Dog gets there.. This style of hunting is different than even the people I hunt with..

Ddog ,

I wish you could have made the hunt a couple weeks ago as we had people from 4 states having a great time. I don't talk about what my dogs do as have never been a fan of tooting my own horn. Hell I don't have a dog I have bred to toot about , lol

As I tell you all the time I am up to hunt. I am hunting give me a call and show up.

I would like to plan for the hunt. When you called me today and we talked about it I was all ready to plan the trip. I just can't plan for another hunt that never happens, Like the SD hunts. I have done this a few tomany times and people always back out at the last second.

I will be in minnesota only about a hr and a half from you instead of 16 hrs and would love to see some good dog work. I would like to see Zack work. I also don't see a reason to drive or fly to MI or NEB to get less coon.

I think you have the right idea and it would be great. I myself have seen a alot of others dogs work and can tell alot about how they judge dogs. I have seen some great dog work and have had others judge my dogs and give honest feedback ... In all I know what I have at this point. I know a few people and know how to take what they say .

Back to the topic ...

I think alot think a good preforming dog means a good producing stud in that is not the case ...

I would say in the states the top in my book goes to the Sparky dog . I would also say JrJr has to be up there as he has produced for good ones like Woody

I would like to hear from the other side of the pond on this .

Edited by Yankee

THERES ALOT OF PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT TELL U ALOT OF B.....KS ABOUT TERRIERS IVE JUST LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY LOOKING FOR GOOD DOGS, THEY TELL U ,,BLOODLINES ,, GOT THIS DOG OFF ???????... GOT THESE LINES IN IT ,,GOT THAT IN IT..GOT THIS IN IT ..MY EXPERENCE HAS JUST TAUGHT ME TO LOOK AND LOOK AGAIN, AND DONT JUMP IN ,, AND ALWAYS GO TO TERRIER PEOPLE WHO ARE WORKING THERE DOGS HAVE GOT BOTH PARENTS TO THE PUPS THEY SHOULD HAVE PLENTY OF PHOTOS OF THERE DOGS WORKING THE QUARRY,, AND WONT BOTHERED ABOUT SHOWING YOU,, SAME GOES FOR THE TERRIER MAN WHO WILL WILLINGLY SHOW YOU HIS KENNELS AS WELL, ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE CHARGING ABSOLUTLEY STUPID PRICES FOR PUPS,, THIS DOGS FOR LIFE AND WILL BE YOUR BEST PAL AS WELL,,,,,, SO AS FOR TOP PATTERDALE BREEDERS GOES, EVERYONE SELLING PUPS HAS GOT THE BEST PUPS,, BEST LINES,,BEST DIGGERS,, AND SO ON AND SO ON ,,AS FOR MY SEARCHING I GOT MY DOG FROM A GENTLEMAN AT HUDDLESFIELD TOP SET UP PROPER TERRIER MAN LOVELY CHAP,,BITCH CAME FROM CAMBRIDGE,, ONLY TIME WILL TELL IF IVE MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE :thumbs:

in the US the dogs i'm aware of are

sparky

zack

seth

ed

i for one have only hunted with 2 of the 4. i'm looking for a little more size than the traditional diggers (17lb bitches, 20lb males) ed produces both ends of the spectrum.lol the choc is the stud dog the other 2 are pups we kept off of him.

097.jpg

062.jpg

006.jpg

in the US the dogs i'm aware of are

sparky

zack

seth

ed

i for one have only hunted with 2 of the 4. i'm looking for a little more size than the traditional diggers (17lb bitches, 20lb males) ed produces both ends of the spectrum.lol the choc is the stud dog the other 2 are pups we kept off of him.

097.jpg

062.jpg

006.jpg

The bottom dog is Ed ...

The other 2 are off of him .. I have hunted with 2 of the 3 .

I think that alone speaks alot. These days I think more have hunted with dogs off of Ed .. I have hunted with dogs off of sparky as well as Jrjr .

bob you dont have anything to say about the rest of the dogs you have hunted with in the states ?

Edited by Yankee