PULSAR CHALLENGER GS 1X 20

Ive read on another forum that the little simmons 1.5-5x20 WTC is also very useable with the Pulsar.

Rgds Mick

That's correct Mick, i have tried it but would say its good for rat shooting not long range shooting

Would you say it would be adequate for rabbits to say 50yds? Im thinking of buying one of the Pulsar units for ratting as i have a 1.5-5x20 simmons wtc on my sub 12ft lb webley lite w-8 but would also like to use it on my fac rapid (simmons 3.5-10x50 WTC) for rabbits. I tend not to use much more than x5 mag when lamping and dont find myself shooting much more than 40yds or so.

rgds Mick

Mick it was over 2 year ago if my memory serves me right it was good out to around 30 yards , i know that the picture quality was good at that range but if you went further it lost the picture due to no AO

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it better to get a short scope duo to the fact you have to push scope right forward and will you need any special mounts,thanks.
The size shouldn't be an issue. my own personal experience is find a scope that has a long eye relief so you can push the scope forward but its still usable and comfortable when you take the add-on off.

As for mounts some people prefer reach forward mounts,but it shouldn't really matter

is it difficult to set the add on up.i get a clear view through add on but poor visibility when trying through scope.scope has no parallax adjustment.

With mine I had to concentrate getting the cross focussed correctly. That mean't a lot of fiddling with the eye adjuster on the scope, the front objective lens, the eyepiece lens on the mono and also moving the mono forwards and backwards until the cross looks the same as it does in the day. The mono needs to be set up completely different for the scope compared to just looking through it. Once the cross is focussed you will probably need extra illumination as it most certainly wont be as bright as the mono off the scope. I found with my non adjustable parallax scope it's at it's best between 50-150yrds other than that it seems like I need I need to tweak something. So if you are only looking 30-40 yrds the scope could be your problem.

With mine I had to concentrate getting the cross focussed correctly. That mean't a lot of fiddling with the eye adjuster on the scope, the front objective lens, the eyepiece lens on the mono and also moving the mono forwards and backwards until the cross looks the same as it does in the day. The mono needs to be set up completely different for the scope compared to just looking through it. Once the cross is focussed you will probably need extra illumination as it most certainly wont be as bright as the mono off the scope. I found with my non adjustable parallax scope it's at it's best between 50-150yrds other than that it seems like I need I need to tweak something. So if you are only looking 30-40 yrds the scope could be your problem.

i have a clulite with ir filter .i can see this through mono ok up to 150-200 yds but could not get a picture of my crosshairs into view.what scope do you use.i have a list on here but do not know what one to buy at a reasonable cost.i do not want to pay a lot for a scope if there are suitable good options.thanks for your help.

i have a clulite with ir filter .i can see this through mono ok up to 150-200 yds but could not get a picture of my crosshairs into view.what scope do you use.i have a list on here but do not know what one to buy at a reasonable cost.i do not want to pay a lot for a scope if there are suitable good options.thanks for your help.

What scope do you have at the moment ? the top three in the list are good and not that expensive, try s/hand you should get one around the £100 mark

PULSAR CHALLENGER GS 1X 20 .ANYONE USED ONE OF THESE .ARE THEY WORTH THE MONEY.WHAT RANGE CAN YOU SEE CLEARLY SEE A RABBIT SIZED OBJECT AT USING ADDITIONAL IR SOURCE.ANY PROBLEMS ADJUSTING TO SUIT YOUR SCOPE.THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE.

The Pulsar challenger is a good way into NV with extra IR you should be able to shoot out to 80 to 100 yards depending on day scope

what scope would you recomend.thanks for your help.

Here is a list of some scopes that will do the job, it is best to get a scope with side or front focus. i have tried a lot of scopes and the maximum power i got to was a 6.5-24x50, the 1st and 2nd number on the scope is the most important, in most cases the lower the numbers the better the image

thanks for your advice.

AGS SWAT 4-16x56

AGS Compact 4-14x42 [not the 3-12x44 Compact SWAT?]

AGS SWAT 3-12x44

Bushnel Banner 4-12x40

Bushnel Trophy 4-12x40

Bushnel Legend 5-15x40

Falcon Merlin Tactical fixed 10x mag **Best**

Falcon Merlin Tactical 4-14x56IR mag

Falcon Menace 10X42

Falcon Menace 4-14x44

Leupold Vx-III 6.5-20x50 lr Model no. 57180 Varmint retical, side focus

Leupold 10x42

leapers swat 3-12-44

MTC Optics Viper 4-16x50

MTC Optics Viper 6-24x56

Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x40

Nikko Sterling Night eater 6 -24 x 56

is the ags 4x16x56 the elite tactical swat scope.thanks YES

Im really not the one to be giving the best advice on nv, I can only tell you my very little experience of it. The two above posters are the men for the job!

My scope is a non adjustable S&B. It has been said these are not much good for nv but until I get a new gun Im sticking with it.

I like you couldn't get the cross hairs into focus, I think my main problem was the eye adjustment on the scope. You have to set the SCOPE for the add on. Just using the scope in daylight I needed the eye adjustment on the scope all the way in. With the mono attatched it needed about a third of a turn out. It was just as blury all the way in as all the way out it was trial and error, but you will only get this right if the objective lens and viewing lens is ajusted accordingly to. My objective lens is screwed in as tight to the mono as it goes. This lens is then tight to the scope lens, I can't adjust my front lens but this gives me the clearest picture of the cross hair that said my mono is not supposed to work as an add on but it does. Although the scopes suggested will do a far better job with the add on I personally think you should be able to set it with the scope you've got well at least at certain distances. I had given up on mine a few times before getting it sussed. I really didn't think I could get it to work. Don't give up yet!

As an idea my mono needs to be focused to the closest possible distance, try standing right against a door and focus the mono on the handle I mean focus as close as you can on the handle without actually hitting the lens on it. Then try it on your scope and then twist the eye adjuster on the scope to see if that helps.

Edited by sako
is it better to get a short scope duo to the fact you have to push scope right forward and will you need any special mounts,thanks.
The size shouldn't be an issue. my own personal experience is find a scope that has a long eye relief so you can push the scope forward but its still usable and comfortable when you take the add-on off.

As for mounts some people prefer reach forward mounts,but it shouldn't really matter

is it difficult to set the add on up.i get a clear view through add on but poor visibility when trying through scope.scope has no parallax adjustment.

thats your problem mate you have no parallax adjustment on your scope

you need a scope with parallax adjustment

My scope doen't have parallax adjustment and neither does my AGS but both work it's just the S&B is better so I use that. As I said what do I know though! But they are only any good at certain distances.

yes it will work with most scopes but to get the best out of it

you need a scope that has parallax adjustment

setting up ad-on

1) set your scope on the lowest mag

2) make sure your dioptical adj on your day time scope is screwed right in then screw it out one full turn.

3) put the add-on onto your scope and switch it on make sure the focus on the add-on is fully screwed right in

you should see your crosshair if a bit blurry adjust the dioptical adjuster THIS WILL BRING THE CROSSHAIE CLEAR.

4) once you have good crosshair on the scope you use your parallax adjustment to get a good picture

5) if you need more distance add more IR hope this helps.

Edited by ukhunter

Here is a list of some scopes that will do the job, it is best to get a scope with side or front focus. i have tried a lot of scopes and the maximum power i got to was a 6.5-24x50, the 1st and 2nd number on the scope is the most important, in most cases the lower the numbers the better the image

AGS SWAT 4-16x56

AGS SWAT 3-12x44

Bushnel Banner 4-12x40

Bushnel Trophy 4-12x40

Bushnel Legend 5-15x40

Falcon Menace 10X42

Falcon Menace 4-14x44

Leupold 10x42

leapers swat 3-12-44

MTC Optics Viper 4-16x50

MTC Optics Viper 6-24x56

Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x40

i put up this scope list on another site i use a very very long time ago when i had a Digital NV

which is not so scope fussy as normal add-on's so i will have to do some more testing and do an up to date scope list

AGS SWAT 4-16x56

AGS SWAT 3-12x44

Bushnel Banner 4-12x40

Bushnel Trophy 4-12x40

Bushnel Legend 5-15x40

Falcon Menace 10X42

Falcon Menace 4-14x44

Leupold 10x42

leapers swat 3-12-44

MTC Optics Viper 4-16x50

MTC Optics Viper 6-24x56

Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x40

i put up this scope list on another site i use a very very long time ago when i had a Digital NV

which is not so scope fussy as normal add-on's so i will have to do some more testing and do an up to date scope list

ukhunter was it you that made this scope list up and have you tested all the above scopes ?

AGS SWAT 4-16x56

AGS SWAT 3-12x44

Bushnel Banner 4-12x40

Bushnel Trophy 4-12x40

Bushnel Legend 5-15x40

Falcon Menace 10X42

Falcon Menace 4-14x44

Leupold 10x42

leapers swat 3-12-44

MTC Optics Viper 4-16x50

MTC Optics Viper 6-24x56

Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x40

ukhunter was it you that made this scope list up and have you tested all the above scopes ?

I thought the list came from Baldie over on the bbs could be wrong tho??

What scope do you have at the moment ? the top three in the list are good and not that expensive, try s/hand you should get one around the £100 mark

i am trying it with a simmons blazer 3x9 x40 at the moment.