Prone Position Stability

Thank you Simon, for a truly inspiring and incredibly informative thread. I came across your first post after a google search for "Air Rifle shooting technique" or something along those lines, and I must say I was truly inspired by your passion for springer shooting and especially the HW77. I had borrowed a pretty ropey SMK38 mk2 from a friend and was doing some target shooting at various ranges in my area. After reading your post and the subsequent replies and the expansion of the topic I realised my rifle was not giving me the consistent results I was looking for. I must say that if it wasn't for this thread I may have just given the whole thing up. Where as now I am the very proud owner of a second hand but practically unused HW77 and I'm shooting 2 to 3 times a week on the range and loving every minuet of it. I've even gone as far as buying my 9yr old an under powered (9lb/ft) break barrel .22 for Xmas. He is going to freak when he opens it. Also I have an activity that I love and know he will that we can share together.

I am actually just waiting on a friend of mind to finalise a purchase of a property with a load of land with it who has already agreed to give me permission to shoot. I cant wait to get the HW77 out in the field and start using it properly, it is in my very very inexperienced opinion a fantastic, accurate, reliable weapon. I also love the fact that it is a springer, as I have tried a few different configurations of rifle before I went for the HW77. Although some were easier to get good results from I love the challenge of shooting the springer as It makes that group in the bull so much more rewarding.

So again, thank you for the inspiration and guidance, I am sure I will be re re-reading this thread many times in the future to refresh my thought process and technique as I develop as a shooter/hunter, as will my son.

Cheers,

Steve.

• Like 3

Sorry guys I believe I responded to the wrong post, I was actually talking about Pianomans post on springer shooting here http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/182473-spring-air-rifle-shooting/page-9

Any way with my impending permission I will definitely be giving this thread a thorough read.

Looks like thanks again to Simon.

ATB

Steve.

• Like 1

Thank you very much indeed Steve. I'm very pleased to have been of service to you and your son with my writings here. My dad was my great shooting mentor as a youngster. A blistering shot with a .22 rimfire and no scope! I'm just passing it on. There is a wealth of knowledge unsurpassed among the lads here. They would be just as happy to help you out with a query or problem. :thumbs:

All the very best to you and your boy for shooting in the future. And a very warm welcome to this section.

Simon

To add a little to this.

if you extend your non-trigger arm out as far forward as possible bend the fore arm back to you and up the stock back into your arm pit, that will stabilize the barrel and follow through with the breathing rotation.

More important when your shooting full bore.

Ill find some photos to post to show this better.

Hi Steve

welcome to the mad house, you mentioned a range open 3 days a week, I am also from Swindon ,could I ask where it is? Or do you have a link?

Hi Daveyt63,

Sorry to take so long to reply to you regarding ranges in Swindon area. "The ranges" are actually in Devises but are really worth the drive, you can find there website here http://www.compulink.co.uk/~msinstruments/wiltshire_shooting_centre.htm I can highly recommend this facility as its inside therefore the weather doesn't have to spoil your day and the ppl are excellent for knowledge and very friendly. Its also reasonably affordable at £4 per half hour. The range is electronic IE you shoot at a target and your shot is displayed on a computer screen above your head. I have spent many an afternoon there. There opening hours are Wed - Sat 10 am to 6pm I believe. They have a great range of equipment and pellets for reasonable prices. They also have rim and center fire guns and ammo for sale but unfortunately not the facilities to fire them, although they have plans to open such a facility. It is housed in an old railway tunnel so they have many possibilities for expansion.

Also I'm sure you know about Barbury shooting school, they have recently set up a small outdoor range which I must admit is a bit ropy but good for windage adjustment practice etc. its a bit expensive at £8 for half an hour.

There is also the Swindon gun shop which I'm sure you are aware of, there facebook page is here https://www.(!64.56:886/pages/The-Gun-Centre/186960771338980 they are opening a range this month around the junction 16 area near the butterfly farm, which sounds really good and much more affordable. I intend joining the club and shooting there with my son.

Hope this is useful to you mate, you never know we may be shooting next to each other soon.

ATB

Steve.

Great read, I have sooooo much to learn.

"There are four kinds of men:

He who knows not and knows not he knows not-- He is a fool, Shun him.

He who knows not and knows he knows not-- He is simple, Teach him.

He who knows and knows not he knows --He is asleep, Awaken him.

He who knows and knows he knows--He is wise, Follow him."

This thread was started by a man who knows and knows he knows.

Great stuff.

• Like 1

I tried my hand at rifle shooting using a No8 .22 when I was 16 and serving at HMS Ganges. My service life is a bit of a mish-mash but basically I joined the Royal Navy as a Helicopter Mechanic and then, when my time was up, I left and joined the Paras.

Anyway, if my Gunnery Instructor saw those pictures of a guy in the Prone position, he'd have a duck fit. His mantra was that both heels should be touching the ground.

Apart from that minor point, Pianoman has given us all a write up to cherish.

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 1

Sound advice and also from time to time you may find that prone will no be the best position due to line of sight to the target long grass ect and the typography of the ground can cause barrel clearance problems as what you see through a sight may be different to what you would see if you looked down the barrel (always check barrel clearance) anyway you will find that what ever position you feel comfortable in always remember the marksmanship principles ;

1.position and hold must be strong enough to support the weapon

2.weapon must point naturally at the target without any undue force

3.sight alignment and sight picture must be correct (zeroed)

4. shot must be taken and follow through with out any disturbance to the position

I think that right its been a while but if you practice this along with the breathing techniques you wont go far wrong hope it helps someone

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Breathing control. A bit more than simply fire on the exhale.

As you all should be aware of by now, good accurate shooting is a state of relaxed muscles heart rate, pulse rate, mind and body. A bit of Zen for the mind and spirit is no bad thing. Before you arrive at your shoot, you should be already relaxing your breathing because that starts to relax your heart and pulse rate.

We have two basic air intakes. Mouth and nose.

Start by learning to filter air to and fro in and out of your lungs by GENTLY breathing through your NOSE ONLY. This uses less chest expansion and chest muscle-motive power than open mouth and lessens the pounding effect of your heart and pulse. Your mouth is for panting down larger amounts of air and oxygen, and cooling your blood temperature when you are basically knackered after going for the burn running. Snipers never, ever run to their OP! It's about silent, unhurried movements that among other things, keeps everything calmly relaxed on the inside. And the only sounds you hear is your mind. I cannot teach anything about lung capacity as we all have different levels of endurance at holding and controlling our breath but, the best method is learn to just fuel your lungs on less air.

When you bring your rifle into aim, take a gentle sniff of air. Not a great bellows-filling lungful, just enough as you are left comfortable with. HOLD IT a moment as you compose your sightpicture. Inhale a little more and begin to slowly exhale down to next to no air left. DO NOT EMPTY your lungs entirely or your heart will start to race pumping more blood to stimulate the pulse.

Now hold that breath....fire!

When you reach a point where you would need to force pressure to empty your lungs and your heart rate is at it's most gentle, thats the last point to fire the shot.

Sounds pretty involved reading this but, there's nothing to controlling your breathing with practice.

Simon

Thanks for this! I struggle with my breathing and sometimes forget about it all together (breathing properly that is).

Reading this has got me thinking that's what I need to incorporate next time I shoot.

Thanks fella! :thumbs: