greyhounds

ye i did thats another story tho got a bitch called com eon keera a [bANNED TEXT] good bitch why ask did i get agood one wouldnt had bred it if it was crap mate ,dont breed to crap if they dont do there work ,they go to heaven or trusted pet home,

Just wondered really. My dads been into Greyhounds now for near on 40 years now but only flapping tracks. I thought maybe the NGRC stuff would have been a bit more pricey to get a good 1 as the rules and regulations bump up the price tags on these dogs. As i said its my dads game but was just interested... :thumbs:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the not the smartest and can be injury prone, but get the right one and it will work as well as any lurcher

even with all the advantages from working a pure grey i wouldnt ever want to own one for just hunting, , while i was excersing them for a few years i loved every min i spent with them but at the same

well yes i would agree with that.my point i was making was about ex racers.and also i have to say ther racers who would pin another dog that came up to it,or try and break its own neck trying to break

Posted Images

yea i dare say with a bit of perceverance and your own words (half trained,but wouldnt trust it completely).well thats enough for me to not use it a pure greyhound.especially an ex track dog.a lot of people think there big softys and lie about the house all day,and great with people.they are,however they have a dark side,mines were never of a lead in public places.ive had to seperate many a pet dog from the jaws of my greys mouth,after running up playfully.been bitten myself on a few occasioms still have the scars,and only because a cat or small dog has ran in front of them,and they couldnt get of the lead.so they start jumping somersaults on the lead and biting the nearest thing to it,other greys or you.another time i went over to ireland for a greyhound sale,left a dog in my mates kennel.dunno what happened,possibly they saw a cat or something,but a fight broke out and end result my dog (the stranger) to the kennel was mauled to death by 3 greys.i would strongly urge anyone to stick to lurchers for hunting.there just to many probs with a pure bred greyhound.im sure there people have done it,but they will be few and far between.would be ok if you lived in the sticks and had miles of open fields and not another soul around for miles with thier pet dogs.but then there is the question of livestock.if it takes it into his head to kill a sheep or another dog,you wont stop it.

Edited by scothunter

mate ten minutes from house there a retired ngrc kennels , there some [bANNED TEXT] nice bitches there ,all ngrc,wiliam hill sponsors it , ye they can be pricey but freinds of freinds as the say mate, when i get of my ass one day and get a scaner ill put somepics up had some good ones ,got some real good pics ,eighties till present day thing is dont like people stealing photos of internet as would never do it to others

scot hunter were i hunted it at nite no others about it never got off ive always felt the bitches abit more sensible ,you run them behind an old jeep lamping for a few weeks and socalise them with other dogs they soon calm down as they are learning and getting the steam ran out them , but as you say only for them that no dogs and plenty space with no little yappers about

the bitch i had come on keera she took a big hare in front of mates lurcher he was very surprised ,he was running a hare and she was off [bANNED TEXT] through the dog bang hare gone , i thought thatl do for me real fast bitch with a brain 3 weeks was all it took for her to realise ferrets were a no go was not aggresive in any way , others ive had were up for a fite with terriers kill ferrets ,but they were good workers of game at nite after they got tuned in ,before the ban had abrindle bitch foxes for fun not a sound out her a real tough bitch gave her to a hill keeper he says tough as teak he bred her to a germa pionter had 3 pups lost touch with him

yea i dare say with a bit of perceverance and your own words (half trained,but wouldnt trust it completely).well thats enough for me to not use it a pure greyhound.especially an ex track dog.a lot of people think there big softys and lie about the house all day,and great with people.they are,however they have a dark side,mines were never of a lead in public places.ive had to seperate many a pet dog from the jaws of my greys mouth,after running up playfully.been bitten myself on a few occasioms still have the scars,and only because a cat or small dog has ran in front of them,and they couldnt get of the lead.so they start jumping somersaults on the lead and biting the nearest thing to it,other greys or you.another time i went over to ireland for a greyhound sale,left a dog in my mates kennel.dunno what happened,possibly they saw a cat or something,but a fight broke out and end result my dog (the stranger) to the kennel was mauled to death by 3 greys.i would strongly urge anyone to stick to lurchers for hunting.there just to many probs with a pure bred greyhound.im sure there people have done it,but they will be few and far between.would be ok if you lived in the sticks and had miles of open fields and not another soul around for miles with thier pet dogs.but then there is the question of livestock.if it takes it into his head to kill a sheep or another dog,you wont stop it.

:yes: ........Good post. :thumbs:

Guest INTERNET-HUNTER

well i must just be lucky with mine mate total opposite to everything you just said :thumbs:

The dogs scothunter talks about are in the minority. I worked as a parader for almost 10 years and handled dogs of all shapes sizes and personality and never had a problem with one nipping me. I have had pups brung right out a feild and would run the other way after there run and within 2 months of a weekly parade and coax i was the only 1 they would come to even rather than the owner. I did parade some that would growel at other dogs and yes show agression but 9 times out of ten it was a dog that was in a kennel full of bitchs toward other dogs. I have had 2 that would walk to heal of the leash jump fences and sometimes retrieve right back. But i was young with all the time in the world and both were quiet young bitch's. If there kenneled along side qa terrier then they will become used to the dog and in a month or two suitable to walk out together. There not retarded im sure they can tell the difference between another dog and anything else thats would be on the list. Granted yes some do have a snap at them until it sinks in its another dog and some are over exciteable and could nip by accident but a compitent hadler should be capable of controling one to the extent that them and anyone around avoids injury until its calmed down. If you get a young enough one and put the time in it will be as trust worthy as any other dog and id put my money on that . Im not talking a 18 month old feild raised hound that fails as thats a wild animal that needs breaking and i know first hand these dogs rarely even trust there handeler.

I wouldnt own a greyhound as an every day mooching dog and wouldnt ever expect one i hadnt had from 6 weeks to make a ferreting dog although i had a bitch that worked of the slip with mine a few on here seen her but she was a deff fluke and i had her from 10 months. Greyhounds will take any quarry they can get onto but yes they dog knock up mainly because there bred and reared to run full tilt. Im sure if everyones lurcher ran to 100% every run the whole run they would knock alot more often and also burn out too. After all iv seen some dogs come of an 800 and win a 500 3 nites later so if there running a flat out 800 and your running 10-15 sensible 20-40 yard runs and letting said dog recover im doubtfull there any more burnt out than any other dog.

I wouldnt have one in my home or near small children cats or ferrets and yes id watch em round smaller dogs because realisticly no they are never 100% trustworthy no dog ever is but with a sensible owner they deserve more than a brood bitch status.

ok there a big diffrence parading a greyhound at a track and taking it iout everyday amongst the public and everyday distractions.these dogs are certainly not in the minority.and as for your compitent dog handler quote.well all i will say to that is i have had greys around me everyday since i was born and owned my first when i was 13.my whole point was this.if you want to train a greyhound up for everyday hunting good luck to you,and in most cases you will f*****g need it.even the posts saying it can be done,i notice the key words you write in them.

wouldnt trust them! watch them near small dogs and cats.!that in itsself should make you go and get a lurcher.

However to say tyhe dogs i speak of is a minority,well i can only say you really didnt know much about the dogs you were parading.

@@internet hunter i did say there may be an exception.Oh and mywhole post was about getting ex racers as working dogs.i have no idea how old yours is or what age you got it from.as i have never tried to raise a greyhound other than racing round a track if you got them as pups and reared them,well i guess you could get them to a resonable obediance.im not knocking greyhounds love them and prob the best dogs in the world and dont regret one min i spent with mine.great placid dogs when all is calm around them.tbh i didnt actually mind when they went mental when seeing something showed they were keen as mustard.and like i said the dogs we had and we had many of them come and go over the years.The dog i speak of that bit me.she was a black bitch,and i think her soul was as dark her coat lol fastest dog i ever ownned paid a good deal for her,and she paid for herself many times.however a racing greyhound looks on its owner as a meal ticket,nithing else and will quite happily walk away with someone else no problem and not give you a second thought.more than half the dogs we had come through our kennels didnt even have names.

Edited by scothunter

well having kept greyhounds for many years id say,got to agree,they will run through walls and hedges to get at thier prey,also a factor i would take into consideration is they will kill small dogs sheep and anything else they happen to take a fancy to.a greyhound cross at least you can train it and to a degree where it is managable around other dogs which are a lot smaller than themselfs.im sure there are exceptions out there,but as a general rule a racing grey will see anything smaller than it as fair game.

I AGREE :thumbs: IVE HAD SOME STONEWALL KILLERS THAT WOULD CRUNCH ANYTHING THAT MOVES.

if you got 1 from a pup and bring on like no other dog then i,m sure it can be just as good ,the only reason they got a bad is because people have tried taking them straight from the track and tried putting them in the field and when you see greyhounds at its most dangerous ,i,ve seen both sineros and i can defo say they can be good dogs in the right hands :thumbs:

well i must just be lucky with mine mate total opposite to everything you just said :thumbs:

well this one is kenneled together with a little russel and another lurcher pup and they stick together like glue and he only had one injury this season when he knocked his stopper pad when chasing but will agree that they need to be taught when young no good having a dog thats just knows to chase and dont even have a name but the thing we all agree on is they will take what quarry you want them to and people keep saying fitness its like i couldnt go out and run a marathon tommorow but if i trained properly for it i could agreed they aint gonna be the most fittest dogs stamina wise but put the work in and they certainly do a good job for you then when they proved themselves over time what dog you gonna use to put some speed back into a lurcher a working dog or a racing dog

Guest INTERNET-HUNTER

ok there a big diffrence parading a greyhound at a track and taking it iout everyday amongst the public and everyday distractions.these dogs are certainly not in the minority.and as for your compitent dog handler quote.well all i will say to that is i have had greys around me everyday since i was born and owned my first when i was 13.my whole point was this.if you want to train a greyhound up for everyday hunting good luck to you,and in most cases you will f*****g need it.even the posts saying it can be done,i notice the key words you write in them.

wouldnt trust them! watch them near small dogs and cats.!that in itsself should make you go and get a lurcher.

However to say tyhe dogs i speak of is a minority,well i can only say you really didnt know much about the dogs you were parading.

@@internet hunter i did say there may be an exception.Oh and mywhole post was about getting ex racers as working dogs.i have no idea how old yours is or what age you got it from.as i have never tried to raise a greyhound other than racing round a track if you got them as pups and reared them,well i guess you could get them to a resonable obediance.im not knocking greyhounds love them and prob the best dogs in the world and dont regret one min i spent with mine.great placid dogs when all is calm around them.tbh i didnt actually mind when they went mental when seeing something showed they were keen as mustard.and like i said the dogs we had and we had many of them come and go over the years.The dog i speak of that bit me.she was a black bitch,and i think her soul was as dark her coat lol fastest dog i ever ownned paid a good deal for her,and she paid for herself many times.however a racing greyhound looks on its owner as a meal ticket,nithing else and will quite happily walk away with someone else no problem and not give you a second thought.more than half the dogs we had come through our kennels didnt even have names.

i got him at just under 12 months mate :thumbs: it was a gamble i admit that but its one im glad i took!! hes done alot more than i ever expected he would this season and look forward to many more with him. we have treated him just like a lurcher the same age and he has done everything we have asked of him. his feet are perfect and had no problems with him even on hard ground, you can see im pushing his back end down on the slabs but they are still nice and tight :thumbs: he is 19 months old now and has had a good first season :thumbs:

sundaystroll119-1.jpg

i got him at just under 12 months mate :thumbs: it was a gamble i admit that but its one im glad i took!! hes done alot more than i ever expected he would this season and look forward to many more with him. we have treated him just like a lurcher the same age and he has done everything we have asked of him. his feet are perfect and had no problems with him even on hard ground, you can see im pushing his back end down on the slabs but they are still nice and tight :thumbs: he is 19 months old now and has had a good first season :thumbs:

sundaystroll119-1.jpg

time will tell with your working greyhound bud,,ive tryed greyhounds,grews,from coursing stock,they are not as strong as any lurcher in my veiw,they dont last in fields bud... :whistling: just my opinion from using them :thumbs: