Shotgun Cartridge posession offence?

I've always believed that posession of shotgun ammunition is not an offence, and that you only need a certificate to buy it, not to possess it.

However, I've just been discussing it with a couple of friends who are coppers, and they are sure that you need a cert to possess the cartridges. They were under the impression that a black powder licence was required.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Apparently it's in the firearms act somewhere, though we couldn't track it down. Anyone know if it's true, and if so under what legislation the offence falls?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not an offence to possess shotgun cartridges without a certificate as you can be legally given them without possessing a certificate, for instance when clay shooting under a S.11 exemption you are given them to shoot with.

You only need an Explosives Certificate to possess over a certain amount of propellant, this is taken to be the powder contained in already made cartridges as well as loose. This also applies to black powder, to purchase loose powder other than that already loaded in cartridges you need a certificate. Black powder also has its own storage/security arrangements as it is a low explosive rather than a propellant.

I'll attempt to find the specific Acts and Sections.

Thanks sporting.

Does the sec.11 exemption not only apply to approved clay grounds? So it is legal for someone to purchase carts without a certificate for use on site, but not to take off site? I know that there is a similar exemption for section 1 ammunition for use at an approved club, and for it to be stored on site.

My copper friend is going to dig out chapter and verse when they get home.

Very interested in this.

My Mrs has started clay shooting with me (her SGC application is pending) and at the moment I make sure she gives me any spare cartridges she has at the end of each shoot but on weekends when I'm on call she has had to give cartridges away as we think she can't be in possession of them on her own.

Mick.

Thanks sporting.

Does the sec.11 exemption not only apply to approved clay grounds? So it is legal for someone to purchase carts without a certificate for use on site, but not to take off site? I know that there is a similar exemption for section 1 ammunition for use at an approved club, and for it to be stored on site.

My copper friend is going to dig out chapter and verse when they get home.

The S.11 is for use at clay shoots but it was just an example that came to mind at the time. There's nothing to stop you walking away with any spare cartridges at the end and having them in your possession.

I found a quote earlier from the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) website that was listing that it was not an offence to possess shotgun cartridges. This is advice which is given to prosecutors from government lawyers so i'm inclined to believe what I read on there :thumbs:

im curious about this as well, the lads left a few cartridges in my van last time we were out, if it could cause me hassle i'll drop them back sooner rather than later.

Me and the mrs were looking at your profile pic, and we want to know if you plucked them before they were killed to get that pic,I had to laugh at the prospect but the wife couldn`t see the funny side?

im curious about this as well, the lads left a few cartridges in my van last time we were out, if it could cause me hassle i'll drop them back sooner rather than later.

Me and the mrs were looking at your profile pic, and we want to know if you plucked them before they were killed to get that pic,I had to laugh at the prospect but the wife couldn`t see the funny side?

google naked chickens; they were bred to be featherless by a university in israel for the commercial meat industry

you can bet your life if you were stopped by the police they would find or make up a charge to do you for ,for having in your posession shotgun amunition with intent,,,,you should know by now in this country you are guilty until proved inocent,,,and like i said if there is no law against it they will soon make one up,,,we are now living in a country were so many w--kers are going out with guns and shooting people,,,so any opotunity that comes up for them to have us they will

FACT

sorry but it is just the way it now seems.

paul

you can bet your life if you were stopped by the police they would find or make up a charge to do you for ,for having in your posession shotgun amunition with intent,,,,you should know by now in this country you are guilty until proved inocent,,,and like i said if there is no law against it they will soon make one up,,,we are now living in a country were so many w--kers are going out with guns and shooting people,,,so any opotunity that comes up for them to have us they will

FACT

sorry but it is just the way it now seems.

paul

Might get arrested on "suspicion" but they will soon find there is nothing to charge you with, no offence to answer to in fact. Which then becomes the territory of unlawful arrest as there is no power to do so.

My F.E.O said the other week that none certificate holders can hold cartridges that are given to them as long as the have a reason for example... goes clay shooting and has the cartridges for that.

My copper mate has just got back to me, apparently there is no offence of possession, unless you are a prohibited person under section 21.

And you don't have to have a reason to have them, though it would look a bit suspicious if someone was stopped in the street with a pocket full of 12 bore cartridges, but there is no offence.

i have the same on some occasions,im a sgc holder not got firearms so what would happen if stopped and the police found some 22 and 222 rounds in my truck.

i have the same on some occasions,im a sgc holder not got firearms so what would happen if stopped and the police found some 22 and 222 rounds in my truck.

Given that Firearms are a quite different category to Shotguns I expect that there would be some rather more serious explaining to do. Assuming you own up to the identity of the idiots who were stupid enough to leave live rounds lying around in clear breach of their license they may find their licenses revoked.

Les