Cheap crap air rifles for bunnies

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can I just say that cheap crap air rifles by SMK "et all" are not to be recommended for hunting!! they are a plinking tools only I expect loads of flak but ,so what?, These cheapos are not the right

Ummmm,   This is going to turn into a interesting thread I think.   I know that there are folks on here for SMK rifles and against SMK rifles.   Ive only ever owned one in 1997, a Custom Lion.

I beg to differ gentlemen   SMK 19 complete with second kill at 35 yards early one morning. This is the rifle that got me into hunting and it has removed many a pest out to 35 yards with eas

But don't try to tell me these guns will match a top weihrauch or air arms spring rifle for smoothness of trigger. balance. build quality. durability or long range precision accuracy.

Because they won't. they just bloody won't. :no: :no: :no:

finally l bought my oldest gun. my hw80 .22 new in the year 2000 and it still performs as superbly as it did from the start. lt cost 230 quid then brand new. how many cheap-as-chips guns has any one person else got through over the last decade to that one rifle l've had all this time... :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

simon

I hear what you say there Simon and agree with some, but what I am trying too get across to people is that Chinese rifles have come a hell of a long way from what they used to be and are now far superior in quality to what originally got them such a bad reutation.

My 19 is a duplicate of the HW35 and I would lay money on it that once I have a GRT from 'Charlie da Tuner' in the States installed, it will be as sweet to shoot as the original HW35 is.

Somewhere on this forum is a thread that I put up regarding my last play with the 19 after not touching it for a year or more even.

The grouping was not the very best I've done; but not bad for only shooting an S200 for more than a year.

If I were to put in the practice again with it like I used to, I'd be able to bring the groups back into line with them being inside the vicinity of a .20p coin to a .10p coin at 30 to 35 yards.

I'm not trying to say that they will ever be a leader in the airgun world, but with top name brand such as Beretta AND HW outsourcing their parts to countries such as China dont you think that their manufacturing MUST have come on in leaps and bounds?

Phantom

Er you got an FAC for that?

FAC for what ??? if you mean the 52, that was on the owners FAC 7 years ago when I used it !! This is an airgun forum and people discuss FAC weapons as well so avoid jumping at folk that discuss them, The implication they may be breaking the law will not be appreciated, especially by FAC holders like myself!.

Secret agent eh!! copper, or coppers grass maybe !?? :hmm::D:D

ATB

We have a few shooters on here that are members of the Police force :yes: I am privilaged to know a few shooters who are Police officers both on here and on other forums. I spent an hour talking to one on the phone last night :gunsmilie: They are not all antihunter or antishooter :thumbs: I will be competing against a couple later this year as well :)

Phantom

Er you got an FAC for that?

FAC for what ??? if you mean the 52, that was on the owners FAC 7 years ago when I used it !! This is an airgun forum and people discuss FAC weapons as well so avoid jumping at folk that discuss them, The implication they may be breaking the law will not be appreciated, especially by FAC holders like myself!.

Secret agent eh!! copper, or coppers grass maybe !?? :hmm::D:D

ATB

We have a few shooters on here that are members of the Police force :yes: I am privilaged to know a few shooters who are Police officers both on here and on other forums. I spent an hour talking to one on the phone last night :gunsmilie: They are not all antihunter or antishooter :thumbs: I will be competing against a couple later this year as well :)

Phantom

Yeh I know Phantom, that was just a faecetious dig bud, I know a few as well. My point was on the comments made.

To go back to the original point.

Blokes like yourself are getting good results with some of these guns ,but I would warrant that to get acceptable hunting standards, a wee bit of work is required

The crux of this matter was that recommending them to new hunters is a no no as far as I am concerned. Why recommend a new copy of the 35 over a good secondhand version of the real thing.

We all know that when pulled apart, budget guns are just that !, cheap !.

I am pretty glad that there has at least been a good bit of discussion on the matter but I hope this has reminded everyone what the point of this thread was.

ATB

But don't try to tell me these guns will match a top weihrauch or air arms spring rifle for smoothness of trigger. balance. build quality. durability or long range precision accuracy.

Because they won't. they just bloody won't. :no: :no: :no:

finally l bought my oldest gun. my hw80 .22 new in the year 2000 and it still performs as superbly as it did from the start. lt cost 230 quid then brand new. how many cheap-as-chips guns has any one person else got through over the last decade to that one rifle l've had all this time... :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

simon

I hear what you say there Simon and agree with some, but what I am trying too get across to people is that Chinese rifles have come a hell of a long way from what they used to be and are now far superior in quality to what originally got them such a bad reutation.

My 19 is a duplicate of the HW35 and I would lay money on it that once I have a GRT from 'Charlie da Tuner' in the States installed, it will be as sweet to shoot as the original HW35 is.

Somewhere on this forum is a thread that I put up regarding my last play with the 19 after not touching it for a year or more even.

The grouping was not the very best I've done; but not bad for only shooting an S200 for more than a year.

If I were to put in the practice again with it like I used to, I'd be able to bring the groups back into line with them being inside the vicinity of a .20p coin to a .10p coin at 30 to 35 yards.

I'm not trying to say that they will ever be a leader in the airgun w cheerfulrld, but with top name brand such as Beretta AND HW outsourcing their parts to countries such as China dont you think that their manufacturing MUST have come on in leaps and bounds?

Phantom

wW

Well Tony, l have the greatest respect for you as a shooter and thus, l respect what you say in regard of your own SMK19 but, there is still tat being touted as potent, hunting rifles, capable of greater accuracy than is the truth of them. Coupled to the fact that not every likely customer will have your standards of marksmanship.

l was out target shooting today with my Weihrauch HW77 .22 with Simmons Whitetail Classic 4-14x40 and it produced a sub half-inch group out at 60 yards. Right alongside Andy (Andyfr1968) who was hitting the same size group at the same range with his Diana 52. (bloody great afteroon's sporting shooting we had!) I wouldn't take bets we could have produced a comparable, similar result with cheap n cheerful kit. Let's put it that way. :thumbs:

ATB

Simon

Edited by pianoman

hi guys i have a smk 19 with a ctt trigger and what a fantastic value for money rifle,i think we all just try to get the best

rifle we can afford at the time no matter what the make,the great thing about cheaper end air guns is it makes our great sport

easy to start and when the funds allow and your shooting skills improve thats the time to buy top end,i have gone the other way

and sold my beloved tx 200 around 10 years ago due to lack of funds but the smk 19 has got me back into shooting again but as my

shooting and funds improve i would love to move up the quality scale again,also if you can shoot well with both cheap and expensive

rifles ie regulary hitting the kill zones i dont think the vermin will care if the pellet came from a cheap or expensive rifle

to sum up lets just all enjoy our great sport no matter what bloody rifle we own. :thumbs:

atb

tony.

edited due to bad spelling.

Edited by fazerman

Years ago i had a hw 35 it was crap .The barrel locking had to besorted .I have a bsa lightning that now shoots great but it didn,t the crown was a joke .My mates gamo cfx is a great gun shoots accuratly and full power from new .

With regards to the cfx mate I can vouch for it, it can group that is for sure, the trigger is not the best and it shoots with a twang but it will group and I would use it to hunt.

Its funny because the same couple of rifles crop up again and again, after what phantom has said I may give it a grt trigger and a strip down and polish ect, just to see what it realy is capable of. I wouldent go as far as to say it could match the top rifles mentioned here but telling people they can not hunt with it because it is cheap is rubbish. Everyone is just going round in circles here lol

We are just going to have to agree to dissagre :thumbs:

I think cheap rifles is a very large quantity of rifles and maybe there is a couple of capable rifles in that lot, just maybe!

I will bring my gamo cf-x to the meet for anyone who wants to have a go at a grouping at 30yds with it just to satisfy themselves it is not suitable for hunting, if it realy is that bad the joke is on me and my crap rifle.

Id also like to have a go on a 77, 95, 97 to see wich one I like best, it will take me from now until then to save for one, im going to stop smoking and save the money im not spending on fags to treat myself to a quality springer in the summer :thumbs:

.atb. .ste.

Years ago i had a hw 35 it was crap .The barrel locking had to besorted .I have a bsa lightning that now shoots great but it didn,t the crown was a joke .My mates gamo cfx is a great gun shoots accuratly and full power from new .

With regards to the cfx mate I can vouch for it, it can group that is for sure, the trigger is not the best and it shoots with a twang but it will group and I would use it to hunt.

Its funny because the same couple of rifles crop up again and again, after what phantom has said I may give it a grt trigger and a strip down and polish ect, just to see what it realy is capable of. I wouldent go as far as to say it could match the top rifles mentioned here but telling people they can not hunt with it because it is cheap is rubbish. Everyone is just going round in circles here lol

We are just going to have to agree to dissagre :thumbs:

I think cheap rifles is a very large quantity of rifles and maybe there is a couple of capable rifles in that lot, just maybe!

I will bring my gamo cf-x to the meet for anyone who wants to have a go at a grouping at 30yds with it just to satisfy themselves it is not suitable for hunting, if it realy is that bad the joke is on me and my crap rifle.

Id also like to have a go on a 77, 95, 97 to see wich one I like best, it will take me from now until then to save for one, im going to stop smoking and save the money im not spending on fags to treat myself to a quality springer in the summer :thumbs:

.atb. .ste.

Good luck quitting the cigs mate. Not easy but doable of course :wallbash:

So the cheaper rifle is good for 30 yrds max? And lets assume that at least some of them cheap rifles are not up to the grade on power, Which would have direct influence on the power at point of impact. Only going on what I have read so trolling I suppose and should :censored: off.

The AA S200 I had for a short while was firing at 7.6 ftlbs or there abouts and was grouping great even with my noob hands, You would not want me to take it hunting though I suspect.

Anyhow despite all the problems I have had, I still stick to the second hand route and stand by the statement buy cheap buy twice. :wallbash:

Cheers

Karpman

Having owned one of the ultra cheapies (Westlake B2, .22) that had the grouping ability of a flock of starlings, I understand what is being said, however there is a difference between the £40 B2s and the £100 models. It is amazing how much the owners of these ultra cheapies want when they come to sell them as well.

The ‘X’ Files/hunting/Jan ‘11

I had set aside an hour to do some maintenance work on the pool and had taken the ‘X’ with me, laying it down in easy reach, just in case. I wasn’t disappointed; a plump feral pigeon set down on a telephone pole about 35 yards from me. Fortunately it was facing away from me into a slight breeze and it didn’t hear me cock the rifle. There was nothing to brace myself against so it had to be a standing shot. I put the cross on the base of the pigeon’s neck, paused my breathing and when the sight picture was steady, squeezed the trigger. There was a loud smack as the pellet connected and it was Goodnight Vienna - for the pigeon that is. Most satisfying.

Out of interest I went to fetch the laser rangefinder and the distance turned out to be just over 41 yards! Had I known that before I took the shot I would probably have missed (never could stand pressure! LOL).

For the technically inclined the ‘X’ spits out a 7.9 grain pellet at 927 fps with shot-to-shot consistency in single figures and it does this with a single ‘pump’. Its ‘point blank range’ for a one inch kill zone is between 10 – 42.8 yards. BTW, something I almost forgot to mention – it's a springer, a Gamo Whisper X and it sure is one mean hombre!

Good shooting and enjoy our sport. Chris

• Like 1

sounds like a case of each to his own :thumbs: speaking for myself i have an aa410 and an aa400 that is my sons when they start to go wrong i will fix them i am not really into having an air rifle collection and struggle to find time to shoot with the one i have got. i bought air arms because they have a great name for being reliable and accurate, and they have not let me down yet :thumbs: to be fair there are that many around second hand that have not really seen much use i cant see the point in buying new cheap smk s or the like. just my opinion but its like salt water lure fishing if you have to have a tool in your hands all day long you want a quality rod that is light and strong and a reel that works day in day out. and even with abu and shimano the reel still wears out every two years but at least before it wears out the bail arm dont snap shut in mid cast or bits fall off. which with cheapo crap they do. bottom line is you can make do with cheap crap but i think it takes some of the pleasure out of your chosen past time. :tongue2: feel free to disagree or correct me haha.

Yup, I'd agree with that, Fry :thumbs:

It is a case of each to their own but one point I will make is because a lot of the less expensive guns are owned by folks who are often new to the sport, they are the guns they've also shot their first bunny or whatever with so of course they're good enough for hunting. I can still remember the first rabbit I shot when I was about twelve and the excitement I had at the time. The gun was a Milbro G80 with open sights at probably no more than 15 yards. It was the best gun in the whole wide world to me at the time :thumbs:

Within a few short years I'd moved on to much better (used) tackle and they really put my G80 into perspective, I.E. not very good..... Still have fond memmories of it though but I'd never say it was anything other than it was. Crap.

Cheers.