BSA Meteor MK4 .22 UPDATED on 03/03/2011

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi every one after a first failed paint job,i had to re-strip the action and start again. and now it is re-sprayed to my satisfaction!   here are some pics               i am nea

Posted Images

there was a guy on here a bit ago that had done his S200 in summat called plastidip, like a hard rubberised coating that gave it a real nice "tactical" look and probably made it nice and grippy as well. i plan on doing my stock with the same stuff when i get paid. apparently its safe to use on the metalwork as well.

I think you will find that was Millsy my dear Watson. :laugh:

there was a guy on here a bit ago that had done his S200 in summat called plastidip, like a hard rubberised coating that gave it a real nice "tactical" look and probably made it nice and grippy as well. i plan on doing my stock with the same stuff when i get paid. apparently its safe to use on the metalwork as well.

I think you will find that was Millsy my dear Watson. :laugh:

doh.gifblush.gif

A hell of a lot of work on here Davy but, top work on the resto mate. So worthwhile. These old BSA Meteors are like old Austin 7 cars. They got the world started with something.

They may be basic and don't look much but, a whole sporting airgun industry grew out of the simple and accessible little shooting hobby these guns did so much to bring to everyone.

You're right Andy; I for one have many happy boyhood memories of Meteors. From fairgrounds to shooting grounds. :thumbs:

Simon.

Well done davy, great stuff :thumbs: it a shame metal work needs protecting because I like the raw metal look, it looks good like it is.

I thaught you were going to camo dip it to match your mankini??

That s200 pictured above has a good look id be tempted to have a go at that.

.atb. .ste. :thumbs:

Well done davy, great stuff :thumbs: it a shame metal work needs protecting because I like the raw metal look, it looks good like it is.

I thaught you were going to camo dip it to match your mankini??

That s200 pictured above has a good look id be tempted to have a go at that.

.atb. .ste. :thumbs:

the plastidip stuff is about a tenner a can, iv'e seen it on ebay but only in massive 15 quid cans

Those BSAs look like the old air rifle I used to borrow from my dad, I am sure it was a Meteor, happy days lying under the beach houses on North Beach, sniping bunnies! Brings back a lot of old memories. I know I have neither the skill or the knowledge to undertake something as complex as this! Well done, I am enjoying your posts!

Wow what a turn around Davy :thumbs:

A cracking job there.

I would be tempted for the plasti paint stuff too buddy.

Ive seen Shays plasti painted rifles and they look really good.

Si

Edited by zini

hi lads!

thank you very much for the kind comments!

this is a very easy project to do as long as you have the patience :thumbs:

and take pics before and after ,so you know where they go back :thumbs::laugh:

i am going to try and keep it as original as i can,some peeps recommend i re-blue it?

but the last one i done didn't have bluing on it,they have like a powdered coating.so i may spray it up and see how it goes! i also am going to leave this one at around 8/10ftlb handy for rats and pigeons in confined spaces.

what i am planing to do is gold leaf the lettering on the action,because the MK5 i done "which holly has now"

has gold lettering,but i need to find out what type of font it is (lettering)

i hope you are enjoying this as much as i am.

thanks again for your comments

regards

Davy

Wow what a turn around Davy :thumbs:

A cracking job there.

I would be tempted for the plasti paint stuff too buddy.

Ive seen Shays plasti painted rifles and they look really good.

Si

hi Si

is that the same stuff as Darryl was on about?

Yes i think that it could be mate.

Best person to ask is Shay.

I would send him a PM buddy.

Im thinking of doing the same to my r10s stock as i like the look of the tactical stocks, and that stuch Shay showed me doesnt run or crack and it makes your stock look like plastic.

Si

hi every one

as the week has gone on i have been busy with the refurb of the BSA meteor MK4 .22

after all the hard work was done it was time to relax and enjoy the therapeutic task of spray painting!!

i used Wilkinson's Plastikote Enamel primer in grey x3 coats,then i used Plastikote Enamel in black x3 coats

here are some pics

grey primer

BSAMeteorprimed1.jpg

BSAMeteorprimed.jpg

black enamel coat

BSAMetoerfinalcoat.jpg

i have also added to the barrel the fore sight and the rear sight,which were purchased from john knibbs international

http://www.airgunspares.com/

i also purchased some parts from

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdisplaycategories.asp

who i can say was a bit miss leading on there parts,and alot was out of stock!

i payed £4.19 for 1 front stock screw but the exploded diagram shows 2 under the same code :thumbdown:

so i shall be getting the other parts from knibbs :thumbs:

i have started on the stock and have given it 3 coats of true oil,with a light sand between coats :thumbs:

here are the pics

from this

IMG_0205.jpg

to this

BSAMeteorstockthirdcoatoftrueoil.jpg

and this

IMG_0206.jpg

to this

BSAMeteorstockthirdcoatoftrueoil1.jpg

i also found out why it would not fire!the trigger sear was broke!

as you can see from this pic

BSATriggernewold1.jpg

BSATriggernewold.jpg

you can clearly see where it has broken!

overall i am happy with the way things are going,BUT!! black Plastikote enamel paint, i am not too keen on as it is slightly sticky to touch.may be it needs more time to dry,as i have been doing most of the refurb in the garden shed :blink:

i wish my video camera wasn't broke ,this would of made some good footage! :doh:

i am just waiting on some more minor spare parts then hope fully by Sunday afternoon i can put it all back together again.and keep you all updated!

thanks for the comments

regards

Davy