What budget air rifle for bunnies?

Update on bunny killers, got permission to do some rabbit shooting today, the wife does not want to go and lay down in the dirt with her Diana 280 .177, so is in the same situation. Rang a gun dealer and he recommended the Hatsan 60S, which he was doing with a Hawke 3-9x40 scope and mounts for under £130. She likes the weight and feel of mine so that is what she is going for! So 2 Hatsans now. At least it will be easy to tell them apart, hers will have the Truglo fibre optics on it and mine will not lol!

Doesn't anyone on this site care for BSA's?

I bought a second hand Supersport for £20 that was new in 1988.Plenty powerful and acurate too I've shot loads of Ferals and squirrels round the Stable area and, as a favour to the local Vic, Ferals roosting around the Church. Regards. J.H.S.

Yeah but those sort of guns are on a equivalence of Hens Teeth, Rocking Horse Manure and Self Detonating Lettuces, we are going for what we know, what we like and what is good value!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn’t bother chatting to him anymore Andy if I was you pal.   He is determined to be the hero he thinks that he is.   A “champion of the underdogs at the cheaper end of the market†as he

Hi jengledow and welcome to the section mate.   You'll be much better served looking in the second hand sections for a top name spring rifle that WILL perform and give you a lifetime of faithful ser

Hi all   I think/know Andy is makeing a good few points hear.   i went to a trade show at the end of last year and the amount of Hatsan/Noric rifles that flooded onto the market was untrue, and si

Posted Images

Hi,

I’ve got a fairly tight budget, but would like a rifle that’s up the job of dispatching bunnies as effectively as possible. What can I get that’s still fairly powerful and more importantly reasonably accurate?

Thanks.

Cometa 300 - got mine a few yrs back, cost £160 at the time. It's a .22 and i've stuck a 3-9x40 scope on it. It's pretty perfect and still running after all these yrs. Great budget spring rifle, nothing comes close

Jane Doe (any relation to Terry?) said, "Doesn't anyone on this site care for BSA's?

I bought a second hand Supersport for £20 that was new in 1988.Plenty powerful and acurate too I've shot loads of Ferals and squirrels round the Stable area and, as a favour to the local Vic, Ferals roosting around the Church. Regards. J.H.S."

The BSA Supersport is/was an excellent lightweight hunting air rifle. I bought one new about 12 years ago from Sandwell Field Sports; I had the trigger sears stoned and pull-weight adjusted by Tony Wall (who, it's great to know, is still in business);I fitted a Theoben gas ram and topped it off with a Japanese Tasco 3-7 x 32 AO. It accounted for numerous corvids, magpies and a few jays and rabbits. One of my warm memories is the day I cleared the field at a club FT shoot, with it. I should never have let it go but pcp fever got hold of me and I sold the Supersport to fund an Air Arms S300, my first pre-charged air gun.

We all have similar stories to tell, I know. Good shooting and have fun, Chris

Well check out my wife's shopping today.

Hatsan 60S .22, 2 x Hawke HD 4 x 32 sight (she decided I deserved an upgrade on my scope, anybody want to buy an SMK 28 mil dot?), 2 x Hawke Match Mounts, 2 tins RWS super H point pellets, Caldwell bag rest, game bag, and a Buffalo River rifle bag. £230! Just spent time swapping my sight over and fitting her sight, the 60S now has the Stingray noise suppressor system on the spring and the wonderful quattro trigger and tru glow fibre optic sights. Walnut stock, and nice but pad too! Will post photos of the wife's new gun soon!

Edited by secretagentmole
One other question: How important is fit with rifles? I’m 6’2†and have had to extend my shotgun stock, will I need to do similar with a rifle?

No I'm not :doh: I'm actualy 6'5" with stupidly long monkey arms and can't type :icon_redface:

You have got enough for a brand new Hatsan Model 60 S or 55 S and a scope, they are good guns, I have one, full powered, reliable, well built and looks nice too...

Hatsan are probably about the best of the cheaper new stuff but they're still not a patch on a good quality used rifle.

If you buy a cheap gun new, you'll probably want to 'up grade' at some point in the fairly near future and you'll loose cash when you part-ex, sell, whatever.

A used gun's already suffered depreciation so if you buy well and look after what you've bought, it'll always be worth pretty much what you've paid for it.

Cheers :thumbs:

But the Hatsan is well made and is a gun you can keep! I have one and speak from experience. I only went for a Stingray as I wanted a .177 and I got a stonking good deal on it! It is not the lightest beast on the market admittedly but with a new gun you get the comfort of a guarantee and the thought that you are not buying someone elses problems! The Hatsan is easy to use, has a good safety catch (nice large bear trap, not some fiddling tiny flip switch) and a nice trigger too. Try one out somewhere!

hi buddy

defo buddy the mod60 is a class and powerfull rifle as for the accuracy it how the person pulling the trigger rides the recoil :thumbs:

i had one and i was accurate enough to take bunnies at 30 yards with humane head shots :thumbs:

they are very underated but people just read the review and judge by that but ive had one and the best springer i owned(never tryed hw or tx yet)

good luck with what ever you say

atb steve

Hi JHS,

I love BSA's mate and own 2 of them.

Quality PCPs i have, but in regards to springers they are no where near in the same class as the Weihrauchs or Air Arms.

A Weihrauch HW95K for all round shooting, plinking and hunting to 45 metres (around 50 yards) is unbeatable in my eyes and I’ve owned and shot many springers in my shooting life.

The weight of them is perfect so smaller framed people can use them too and the accuracy out the box is awesome.

If you want to go top of the range though then a HW97KT, HW77K, HW90K, AA TX200HC or a ProSport will take some beating by any other gun manufacturers.

Si.

Hi JHS,

I love BSA's mate and own 2 of them.

Quality PCPs i have, but in regards to springers they are no where near in the same class as the Weihrauchs or Air Arms.

A Weihrauch HW95K for all round shooting, plinking and hunting to 45 metres (around 50 yards) is unbeatable in my eyes and I’ve owned and shot many springers in my shooting life.

The weight of them is perfect so smaller framed people can use them too and the accuracy out the box is awesome.

If you want to go top of the range though then a HW97KT, HW77K, HW90K, AA TX200HC or a ProSport will take some beating by any other gun manufacturers.

Si.

Er Si the budget was set at around the £200 mark, that is why I suggested the good old 60S, as recommended for such use by a professional gun smith (not me I hasten to add, definitely not me, I can cock it, load it and fire it, I can't take it apart or fix it no siree)! The bloke that recommended the Hatsan did the missus a pearl of a deal, Hatsan 60S with Hawke HD 4 x 32 mildot sight, including Hawke Sport mounts, for £120.

Edited by secretagentmole
One other question: How important is fit with rifles? I’m 6’2†and have had to extend my shotgun stock, will I need to do similar with a rifle?

No I'm not :doh: I'm actualy 6'5" with stupidly long monkey arms and can't type :icon_redface:

:laugh: Don't worry, mate, we all have moments like that!!!

Best thing to do is just get down to your local shop or club and try to handle as many as you can, if they feel short it's no big deal to have the stock extended like your shotgun's. :thumbs:

Aye

My impression of the Hatsans is that they are are crap as most budget guns. I wouls rather buy a BSA lighting for the same cash.

Budget guns are for plinking in my book. some may make the power but they are still crap.

An expensive gun bought secondhand cheap will always be better than a cheap gun!.

ATB

For a top quality springer i would look no further than a Weihrauch or Air Arms......and the Lightning and Prosport and thats it there may well be other good springers out there but they are not for me.....As for hatsans i have read a few reviews on some of the range and if im honest i have never shot one nor would i want to after reading some of the reviews......Stick to Weihrauch,Air Arms and BSA mate you carnt go wrong with them and you will have year upon year of use with them with no problems even from 2nd hand rifles with your buget :thumbs: good luck with your final decission

For a top quality springer i would look no further than a Weihrauch or Air Arms......and the Lightning and Prosport and thats it there may well be other good springers out there but they are not for me.....As for hatsans i have read a few reviews on some of the range and if im honest i have never shot one nor would i want to after reading some of the reviews......Stick to Weihrauch,Air Arms and BSA mate you carnt go wrong with them and you will have year upon year of use with them with no problems even from 2nd hand rifles with your buget :thumbs: good luck with your final decission

Shooting a Hatsan I can say that the reviews can be a bit off, but everyone has their own opinion. The gun smith I met today rates Hatsans highly and sells a lot of them, people would not recommend them to their friends if they were that poor. I can get good grouping, good power and if I drop it in a 2 foot deep rut I have the staisfaction of knowing if it is bu99ered I have not just lost hundreds...