What budget air rifle for bunnies?

Get an old 80 or 77. Buy a new spring and piston head and you're away. If funds become available in the future you could always do the gun up or trade it in for a better model. Avoid the cheapo crap asian makes. If you get a HW your'e buying quality, no matter what age. :thumbs:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn’t bother chatting to him anymore Andy if I was you pal.   He is determined to be the hero he thinks that he is.   A “champion of the underdogs at the cheaper end of the market†as he

Hi jengledow and welcome to the section mate.   You'll be much better served looking in the second hand sections for a top name spring rifle that WILL perform and give you a lifetime of faithful ser

Hi all   I think/know Andy is makeing a good few points hear.   i went to a trade show at the end of last year and the amount of Hatsan/Noric rifles that flooded onto the market was untrue, and si

Posted Images

lf l was a gunsmith with a shop to keep running l would stock only quality Weihrauch and air arms rifles like the HW80 97KT, HW77, HW90 95K, AA TX200HC and ProSports and classic BSA rifles in my new and used spring gun hunting section. Sure l would have the cheap stuff in but recommended them for plinking only. lf there are Hatsans and Gamos that can humanely kill a rabit at a guaranteed 35-45 yards shot for shot as the top guns can, l have yet to be convinced.

simon

Edited by pianoman

For a top quality springer i would look no further than a Weihrauch or Air Arms......and the Lightning and Prosport and thats it there may well be other good springers out there but they are not for me.....As for hatsans i have read a few reviews on some of the range and if im honest i have never shot one nor would i want to after reading some of the reviews......Stick to Weihrauch,Air Arms and BSA mate you carnt go wrong with them and you will have year upon year of use with them with no problems even from 2nd hand rifles with your buget :thumbs: good luck with your final decission

Shooting a Hatsan I can say that the reviews can be a bit off, but everyone has their own opinion. The gun smith I met today rates Hatsans highly and sells a lot of them, people would not recommend them to their friends if they were that poor. I can get good grouping, good power and if I drop it in a 2 foot deep rut I have the staisfaction of knowing if it is bu99ered I have not just lost hundreds...

OK, I've got to take you to task on a point or two, Mr Mole.....

I'm not saying Hatsans are 100% sh*te, they are good value for what they are (cheap tat) but I get the impression that if your local RFD happened to have scored a better deal with, SMK, Cometa, Norica or any of the other cheaper makes, he'd have a shop full of one of those makes instead and you'd have bought (or rather he'd have sold you...) one of those and you'd now be on here defending that to the hilt instead.

No disrespect to anyone here but those types of guns are more often than not owned by folks who are new to the sport and don't know any different, fair do's, we've all got to start somewhere and the fact that they do shoot more or less OK of course they're going to recomend them to friends who also don't know any better.

Say I spend £30,000 on a new top end Skoda, am I going to argue the toss that my car's as good as a used M5 based on the fact that they can both complete a journey????

Cheers.

Edit to ask again.... Have you ever had anything to do with any top end springers?????

Edited by andyfr1968

Hi JHS,

I love BSA's mate and own 2 of them.

Quality PCPs i have, but in regards to springers they are no where near in the same class as the Weihrauchs or Air Arms.

A Weihrauch HW95K for all round shooting, plinking and hunting to 45 metres (around 50 yards) is unbeatable in my eyes and I’ve owned and shot many springers in my shooting life.

The weight of them is perfect so smaller framed people can use them too and the accuracy out the box is awesome.

If you want to go top of the range though then a HW97KT, HW77K, HW90K, AA TX200HC or a ProSport will take some beating by any other gun manufacturers.

Si.

Er Si the budget was set at around the £200 mark,[/b] that is why I suggested the good old 60S, as recommended for such use by a professional gun smith (not me I hasten to add, definitely not me, I can cock it, load it and fire it, I can't take it apart or fix it no siree)! The bloke that recommended the Hatsan did the missus a pearl of a deal, Hatsan 60S with Hawke HD 4 x 32 mildot sight, including Hawke Sport mounts, for £120.

Secretagentmole for £200 you will get a good second hand Weihrauch HW95K, there only about £269.99 new from Youngman’s Guns, and a good second hand Weihrauch is 100 times better that some of the stuff that is getting recommended here.

If you would of also read his later posts carefully he was on about maybe upping his budget higher if his wife was ok with it.

With this extra budget he could also pick up a good second hand scope and mounts.

The guy just needs to have a look around and the right deal will pop up.

Yes he could pay £169 for a new rifle, but a new Hatsan or SMK isn’t any where near the quality of a Weihrauch or an Air Arms is it now, come on be truthful?

Your obviously a fan of Hatsans and thats fine buudy, Ive no problems with that, but the regulars on here are trying to give him the best advice there is.

Try putting your rifle down buddy for a week and using a Weihrauch or an Air Arms for a while and seeing the difference in quality, accuracy and workmanship. It doesnt get any better.

I would be interested in reading your comments then mate.

Im sorry if Im not agreeing with you buddy, but I'm only going to give the lad the best advice that i can.

Si.

Edited by zini
No disrespect to anyone here but those types of guns are more often than not owned by folks who are new to the sport and don't know any different

That's exactly why I've asked as I don't want to buy the first gun the shop wants’ to sell me. I'm going to get out and try a few Weihrauch and Air Arms as I want to know what I'm buying before parting with any of my hard earned.

Sorry to keep asking extra questions, but how much better (if at all) are PCP? (Sorry if i've opened another can of worms). By better I mean will a PCP of equal quality to a springer (ie both Weihrauch or Air Arms etc) kill a rabbit more accurately? I appreciate that a PCP is well above my original budget, but if I do manage to increase the budget then I may as well look at all options (I realise that PCP requires additional expense to charge it etc). Thanks.

Andyfr, the comparison of new Skoda to old Beemer is not quite the same thing. A brand new Skoda is well built, economical and VERY good value for money. The used BMW is likely to have been abused and thrashed, and is likely to fall to pieces in short order. Remember, Skoda are manufactured on the same lines, by the same people using the same machines and materials as modern VW's. They may once have been bags of s###e, but no longer.

The comparison of a new cheap springer, in comparison to a second hand quality rifle is very different. A good springer is likely to be well looked after, and they are very simple so easy to make good again if they fail. Whilst it IS possible to make a "silk ourse out of a sows ear" with the cheap springers, a second hand HW or AA will hold its value and be a joy to own and shoot!

For a top quality springer i would look no further than a Weihrauch or Air Arms......and the Lightning and Prosport and thats it there may well be other good springers out there but they are not for me.....As for hatsans i have read a few reviews on some of the range and if im honest i have never shot one nor would i want to after reading some of the reviews......Stick to Weihrauch,Air Arms and BSA mate you carnt go wrong with them and you will have year upon year of use with them with no problems even from 2nd hand rifles with your buget :thumbs: good luck with your final decission

Shooting a Hatsan I can say that the reviews can be a bit off, but everyone has their own opinion. The gun smith I met today rates Hatsans highly and sells a lot of them, people would not recommend them to their friends if they were that poor. I can get good grouping, good power and if I drop it in a 2 foot deep rut I have the staisfaction of knowing if it is bu99ered I have not just lost hundreds...

OK, I've got to take you to task on a point or two, Mr Mole.....

I'm not saying Hatsans are 100% sh*te, they are good value for what they are (cheap tat) but I get the impression that if your local RFD happened to have scored a better deal with, SMK, Cometa, Norica or any of the other cheaper makes, he'd have a shop full of one of those makes instead and you'd have bought (or rather he'd have sold you...) one of those and you'd now be on here defending that to the hilt instead.

No disrespect to anyone here but those types of guns are more often than not owned by folks who are new to the sport and don't know any different, fair do's, we've all got to start somewhere and the fact that they do shoot more or less OK of course they're going to recomend them to friends who also don't know any better.

Say I spend £30,000 on a new top end Skoda, am I going to argue the toss that my car's as good as a used M5 based on the fact that they can both complete a journey????

Cheers.

Edit to ask again.... Have you ever had anything to do with any top end springers?????

Hi all

I think/know Andy is makeing a good few points hear.

i went to a trade show at the end of last year and the amount of Hatsan/Noric rifles that flooded onto the market was untrue, and since then as a RFD i have been flooded with these thing beeing offerd at all sorts of silly prices, buy 3 combos get 1 free ect ect.

do think this is why theres are RFDs out there are full of them/pushing the sale on them.

i'll tell you there is even at the cheep rrp good money to be made for the RFD.

now mr mole

i quote

I can cock it, load it and fire it, I can't take it apart or fix it no siree)

its the take it apart bit im concirned with.....

it you can't take it apart you cant have had a look at the quility of the internall parts,,,,can you!!!

have no problems with you beeing a hatsan fan, each to there own and all, but dont push so hard that what you dont truely no about..

sorry if that offends a little,not ment to sound so harsh.

i had and old hw35 not to long ago, 25-30years old. the internall parts of that were in very good nick and the quility it was made with is still to the now present day second to non. find me a cheep rifle of that age that will be able to say that in 25-30...easy answer you wont be able to..

dont get me wroung some of the guns that are now avaliable ie smk and the likes are good for what they cost. but not as good as a second hand hw or aa,and will never last the distance like they do.

well that me and my 2pence worth

atb

Andy

• Like 1

Get the best rifle you can afford weather it be a hatsan, gamo, aa, wierach. You will do mutch better with the top brands at decent ranges, if you cant afford that gear choose a cheaper rifle very carefully, cheaper rifles will not match the top end rifles end of. However if the rifle is running with good power and you can make consistantly accurate shots with it then its o.k whatever it is, you may only be able to achieve this out to 20yds with some rifles more with others.

My mates had a hatsan and shot fine with it as I have with a s/h gamo cf-x, both of us in all honesty because we dident have mutch money, we made it work for us because we had to.

I would reccomend a s/h wierach or aa or some bsa for your budget :thumbs:

My next rifle will be a 97kt, when I get it someone can have the gamo as I probably wont ever pick it up again lol

.atb. .ste.

Hi Ste,

I’ve owned a HW97KT is .22 calibre buddy. Wow what a rifle, awesome, you wont go far wrong with it pal.

I can promise you this now mate, once you shoot it you will fall in love with it.

Mine was tuned by Tony Wall at SFS and it would shoot spot on from 5m to max air rifle hunting range.

I would have no concerns with shooting 55 metre bunnies with mine and on 3 occasions I took humane kills further than that with it (witnessed I might add) in windless perfect conditions.

They are brilliant rifles buddy and I would say tuned by a good gunsmith like Tony at SFS, it was the best springer that I have ever shot, and I’ve owned many brands over the years and shot even more so my own experiences can count for something.

If it wasn’t tuned and was straight out the box I still think it would shoot to max air rifle range in the right persons hands easily, they are that good.

The only springer that I have owned or shot that would beat the HW97KT if it was NOT tuned would be the Air Arms ProSport.

They are unbelievable to shoot straight out the box and shoot like tuned rifles straight away, but wait until they are run in and they shoot even better.

Worst thing I did in regards to selling my hunting equipment was having to sell my AA ProSport and HW97KT.

I only sold them as my marriage break up crippled me for a while and I needed the money to support myself and LJ.

One day when my funds are better, I will defo purchase those 2 rifles again and keep them this time.

In regards to cheaper models:

What other people are saying about the cheaper rifles is true, and my biggest thing I believe is that if you’re on a tight budget and can only buy a cheaper rifle then that’s fine. I used to hunt with cheaper rifles in my younger days and I enjoyed my time shooting and plinking. Its about pleasure not bling.

10 ft/lbs is fantastic for hunting and is plenty of power. A rifle with 10 ft/lbs of muzzle energy actually still has 7.6 ft/lbs retained energy at 55 metres in .22 which is plenty to kill any UK air rifle quarry so power isn’t an issue.

Sergejs .177 HW35 is only doing 10.5 ft/lbs and he has killed many bunnies, rats and woodys with ease on Newbottle farm.

The issue I see is only the accuracy that you can gain from a real cheapo rifle. The stiff triggers, and twangy recoil cycle plus the dieseling that you see in a lot of the cheaper brands, due to being covered in swarf or gun oil.

If you can manage that and are happy with it then I see no problems in shooting and hunting with it as long as you are careful and keep within your and the rifles capabilities.

To say that they should never be used to hunt is a bit far in my opinion as hunting a rat at 10 to 15 metres can be as much fun as lamping bunnies at 40 metres and any cheapo rifle should be caperable and accurate enough for this task. Wether the shooter is though is another matter.

In summary, If you want the best then you buy either a Weihrauch or a Air Arms springer, If you cant afford either of them, you buy what suits you second best and adapt it to your needs the best you can.

A cheap springer in a good shots hands is better than a expensive springer in a poor shots hands.

Go for a HW97KT Ste, you will love it.

Si.

• Like 1

Hi JHS,

Quality PCPs i have, but in regards to springers they are no where near in the same class as the Weihrauchs or Air Arms.

A Weihrauch HW95K for all round shooting, plinking and hunting to 45 metres (around 50 yards) is unbeatable in my eyes and I’ve owned and shot many springers in my shooting life.

The weight of them is perfect so smaller framed people can use them too and the accuracy out the box is awesome.

If you want to go top of the range though then a HW97KT, HW77K, HW90K, AA TX200HC or a ProSport will take some beating by any other gun manufacturers.

Si.

Er Si the budget was set at around the £200 mark,[/b] that is why I suggested the good old 60S, as recommended for such use by a professional gun smith (not me I hasten to add, definitely not me, I can cock it, load it and fire it, I can't take it apart or fix it no siree)! The bloke that recommended the Hatsan did the missus a pearl of a deal, Hatsan 60S with Hawke HD 4 x 32 mildot sight, including Hawke Sport mounts, for £120.

Secretagentmole for £200 you will get a good second hand Weihrauch HW95K, there only about £269.99 new from Youngman’s Guns, and a good second hand Weihrauch is 100 times better that some of the stuff that is getting recommended here.

If you would of also read his later posts carefully he was on about maybe upping his budget higher if his wife was ok with it.

With this extra budget he could also pick up a good second hand scope and mounts.

Yes he could pay £169 for a new rifle, but a new Hatsan or SMK isn’t any where near the quality of a Weihrauch or an Air Arms is it now, come on be truthful?

Your obviously a fan of Hatsans and thats fine buudy, Ive no problems with that, but the regulars on here are trying to give him the best advice there is.

Try putting your rifle down buddy for a week and using a Weihrauch or an Air Arms for a while and seeing the difference in quality, accuracy and workmanship. It doesnt get any better.

Im sorry if Im not agreeing with you buddy, but I'm only going to give the lad the best advice that i can.

Si.

Hi JHS,

Si.

Si.

Si,

I did try a Weihrauch, I hated it, balance was wrong and the damned trigger was no use either, no feel to it. It was certainly powerful, but ham fisted fingers here could not get used to the trigger feel and when I moved the gun whilst fine aiming on the last stage of the trigger it would go off. After 20 minutes at the gun shops range I gave up, I could not get used to that gun. I also felt the stock was too damned short for me and I was uncomfortable shooting it. So I did not buy it.

The workmanship was certainly good apart from that damned trigger. I wanted to like the gun, I actually went in there to buy it, but it did not work for me so I did not buy it and went for a new Stingray instead of a secondhand Weihrauch underlever (the cocking action was very good though). I went for soemthing I could shoot accurately and that had power at 35 yards. At present my two year old Hatsan is burying pellets in 1/2 inch ply on the range, so I know it can deliver repeatable shots will killing power at that range! My Webley will remain my range gun and my Hatsan will be my hunting gun!

Jesus Christ Mole,

You complaining about the Weihrauchs legendary Rekkord trigger now, holy sh-t?

Could the one in the shop not have been defected and broken in any way? You are talking about the Rekkord unit now aren’t you pal?

The Weihrauchs Rekkord trigger unit is one of the best units that there is and is only drawn with by the Air arms computer designed trigger unit (CD) on springers.

It won the world FT championships many years on the trot a few years ago pal and is still years ahead of it time now.

I don’t wont to sound a pain mate but a under lever HW would be the 77, 97 or 57 and all have stocks that will fit the larger guy ok, plus are perfectly balanced rifles.

Weihrauch don’t make unbalanced rifles with crap triggers mate so I am sceptical about your comments.

Also please don’t try telling me that a Hatsan trigger is better than a Rekkord trigger because you’re talking rubbish pal. Didnt you try to adjust the Rekkord to give it abit more second stage pal before you discounted it as no use?

Do you actually know anything at all about hunting, shooting and rifles mate or are you just trying to fit in by making random comments and statements?

You know there are guys in here with real experience and know their stuff about this sport and talking rubbish and trying to discredit a quality brand when you don’t even know what the under lever was called is mad pal, especially trying to discredit the trigger of all things by saying it was no use. :doh: LOL.

Just shows me your own knowledge in my eyes pal :yes: .

Sorry to be so blunt :icon_redface: .

No hard feelings.

Si.

Edited by zini

Si

I do not know what damned trigger it was, all I know is that I did not like it, that is why I did not buy it, also I did not like the balance of the gun, it cocked fine, that mechanism was beautiful, but the RFD acknowledged that the gun had a hair trigger! The damned stock was short, I had to pull my neck back to sight up! I was there I held the gun and I fired it, several times before I made my decision that I could not live with that gun! It was my money, my decision and my opinion.

I have a good opinion of the quattro trigger and find it shoots very well. It is not a hair trigger and it does not require a great amount of strength to pull. It fires easily but has a good balance. If I experienced the Rekkord trigger and it was broken I am sorry, but if I find a gun in an RFD shop I expect it to be ready for sale if it is on the rack, as this one was. As far as I am concerned the trigger unit on the gun I fired was too damned sensitive to be used in an effective manner by myself. The power was no different to the Hatsan and Webley I use.

If the Rekkord trigger was not broken then as I far as I am concerned it is a heap of crap, things that are a heap of crap can win awards, look at the ruddy abomination that was the Fiat Strada! I stated things as I found them and no more. I do not know which gun it was, I believe it was a 97, but if I do not buy something I dont remember what it was I did not buy, why bother? The stock was short, I thought it was short, as did my wife, neither of us like the way it made the gun feel, it felt unbalanced to me! I am not making statements just to fit in or I would have been brown nosing all you boys and pretending I had a Theoben and never putting a photo up! I just state the case for the cheaper end of the market.

If you actually read my post you would have noticed that I said that the gun I tried has a hair trigger and I felt the stock was to short for me, note the important words there, for me! Me being the most important bit of that statement. it was about the gun and how I felt about it.

I know it is important when hunting to have a gun you feel comfortable with, can use and has the desired result. All of which is capable with a Hatsan, HW, Weihrauch, Theoben, SMK, Air Arms, even a Westlake pistol (the rat was stuck to the glue trap well I must admit on that one). My opinions are from somebody who has hunted with a 1970s BSA in the 1980s. I have taken over 40 bunnies with that (admittedly over a range of about 30 yards, shooting from under beach houses down North Beach at Heacham, in the good old days before all the new laws came in, I was being paid on a tail count too as the little swines were tunneling under the houses and causing foundation problems).

If people feel happy to recommend something you see as crap don't jump in with your damned waders on as the water may be deep enough to drown you. Until the time you are at my side to inform me as to the best of your knowledge on guns don't tell me what it was I saw, how good it was or how brilliant it must have been. It was significant enough to make no impression other than it ws an HW, underlever. If it was good to me I would have bought it. I have tried a secondhand HW and found it to be no use to me (remember that is to me).

I do not want people like you with the expensive guns to try and dissuade people from starting with a cheaper, new weapon. If it is not to your taste try another bag of crisps. But please, try and read what people write, otherwise you can look a fool.

• Like 1

Sory mole im with si there, im all for making do with a cheap gun (as I have done) aslong as it is accurate and you can shoot well, I can shoot reasonably well with a cheap rifle I own (after lots of practace), but your going a bit far saying that its better than the top springers on the planet, I make do with mine, make do being the key words, yes I can shoot with it, yes I can drop quarry with it, would I chop it in for a top make given half a chance?? You better belive it.

With regards to the trigger your going to be on your own there pal.

Shorely you dont think you have bought a world class springer for a 100 quid? ? ?

Behave :thumbs: lol

.atb. .ste.