What budget air rifle for bunnies?

Hi,

I’ve got a fairly tight budget, but would like a rifle that’s up the job of dispatching bunnies as effectively as possible. What can I get that’s still fairly powerful and more importantly reasonably accurate?

Thanks.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn’t bother chatting to him anymore Andy if I was you pal.   He is determined to be the hero he thinks that he is.   A “champion of the underdogs at the cheaper end of the market†as he

Hi jengledow and welcome to the section mate.   You'll be much better served looking in the second hand sections for a top name spring rifle that WILL perform and give you a lifetime of faithful ser

Hi all   I think/know Andy is makeing a good few points hear.   i went to a trade show at the end of last year and the amount of Hatsan/Noric rifles that flooded onto the market was untrue, and si

Posted Images

Hi,

Ive got a fairly tight budget, but would like a rifle thats up the job of dispatching bunnies as effectively as possible. What can I get thats still fairly powerful and more importantly reasonably accurate?

Thanks.

how much you willing to pay mate im getting rid of some of my old guns could have sumat for you

cheers simon

Edited by topgun86

It's more a case of how much do I need to spend to get something half decent? My budget can probably stretch to about £200, but I'd like to spend less if I can still get something good.

might be worth getting a second hand springer mate as with a pcp youl have to find a way to fill it and if you want to keep to a tight budget that might be the way forward

Hi jengledow and welcome to the section mate.

You'll be much better served looking in the second hand sections for a top name spring rifle that WILL perform and give you a lifetime of faithful service and enjoyable satisfaction in owning and shooting it, than expecting a cheap-as-chips gun to perform the job equally well. You need more than "Reasonably accurate" to be able to guarantee a hit on a small animal's brain spot, shot for shot. You need precision accuracy.

Sorry to sound like a gun snob but, given the power of the Law, I would ban a lot of Noricas, certain SMKs and Gamos from being used as hunting rifles. Poor, stiff-as-hell triggers that either pull your shot off target completely, or cause a nasty body wound and suffering. Cheap builds and parts that fall apart or fail during prolonged shooting sessions. I consider myself a decent air rifle shot and I wouldn't touch a cheap budget gun for hunting in a million years.

Just because we have the legal right to shoot certain species of animal and birds as pests on permitted land, does not make them part of the learning curve. They are the graduation goal of the learning process.

You don't say what your budget is but you need around £250 to get a 2nd Hand Weihrauch, Diana or Air Arms spring rifle that's up to the task. A fair bit more for a PCP rifle.

Honestly mate, if you buy a cheap gun it'll let you down and you'll back looking for a better rifle before you know it. And you'll be £150 down!

Simon

• Like 1

Hi, mate.

If you're on a tight budget, buy used not new.

Anything either German or Air Arms. Doesn't really matter too much about the model (unless weight's an issue :blink: ) just stay away from cheap sh*te :thumbs:

Webley used to do some lovely springers before they moved production to Turkey :thumbdown:

Buy cheap, buy twice....

Cheers.

Edit... Can't feckin' spell today :icon_redface:

Edited by andyfr1968

Just to echo what's already been said really, for the sort of money you talk about, a second hand Weihrauch would be a good bet- maybe an HW95K. If you buy new, remember you'll need a scope too, which adds to the cost.

Personally, I think that some of the SMK rifles are pretty good, but I confess to having very limited experience. The XS19 and XS20 are, in my opinion worthy of a look, but I expect they'll need a good tune up to perform to their potential.

*edited to add*

Just seen the post above. Buy that, you won't be disappointed.

Edited by Ron Weasley

Hi there

Have a look in the for sale. Theres a couple in there just now including a goldstar, which is a nice rifle

Theres plenty of half decent second hand rifles about, Tx200 ,eclipse ,lightning etc both on here and on guntrader etc There even a couple of falcons in there just now

Regards budget makes, SMK ,hatsan norica etc my advise is avoid them like the plague, every one I`ve come across is a pile of crap, that includes ALL smk`s cheap nasty rubbish. I know some folk like them but thats because they enjoy the challenge of improving them.

Stick with a decent name second hand rifle within the 200 quid budget and you will do alright.

ATB

You have got enough for a brand new Hatsan Model 60 S or 55 S and a scope, they are good guns, I have one, full powered, reliable, well built and looks nice too...

Hatsan are probably about the best of the cheaper new stuff but they're still not a patch on a good quality used rifle.

If you buy a cheap gun new, you'll probably want to 'up grade' at some point in the fairly near future and you'll loose cash when you part-ex, sell, whatever.

A used gun's already suffered depreciation so if you buy well and look after what you've bought, it'll always be worth pretty much what you've paid for it.

Cheers :thumbs:

Quote: "Sorry to sound like a gun snob but, given the power of the Law, I would ban a lot of Noricas, certain SMKs and Gamos from being used as hunting rifles. Poor, stiff-as-hell triggers that either pull your shot off target completely, or cause a nasty body wound and suffering. Cheap builds and parts that fall apart or fail during prolonged shooting sessions. I consider myself a decent air rifle shot and I wouldn't touch a cheap budget gun for hunting in a million years."

I have 2 Weihrauchs - an HW95 and an HW50S both are excellent shooters. But I also have a tuned Gamo Whisper X which is a very good air rifle easily capable of consistently hitting inside a one inch kill zone at 35 yards. Mine has accounted for many feral pigeons, rock doves and the occasional duck (there are no rabbits and squirrels where I live unfortunately). I have just sold a BSA Meteor Mk6 which is basically a Gamo; it could put pellet on pellet at 25 metres. A mate of mine has a Norica and having seen it in action I rate it just as highly as my Whisper X.

Simon obviously loves his Weihrauchs and who could blame him but some of the "lesser" brands, given a bit of TLC and maybe a few mods can make excellent hunting air rifles easily capable of putting pellet on pellet inside a one inch kill zone at 30+ yards. The great thing about air gun forums, to me, is that they encourage diversity of opinion based on our differing experiences. Long may diversity continue.

Good shooting and have fun.

Chris